G37 Sedan

2014 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed, the "rich" Wasps don't really give a crap about the runabout cars. I knew one who drove around in a beat up old Toyota Corona wagon!!! But also had Chauffeur driven cars on weekends, etc. I once sat next to Nelson Rockefeller at some NY Dinner function. When I glanced at his clothes (Sport jacket and slacks), the slacks had been worn in the thigh and they were woven by a tailor. Nelson R. could buy the entire Nordstroms store chain, but elected to have his old slacks fixed. That's the mind set of that category of people. It's not about cars.....it's about Control & Power. Look at the comments of Warren Buffet, arguably the richest man in the world: " only Fools Buy New Cars, I only buy cars that are at least 2 years old. Let the other guy take the hit in depreciation"...
Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sniper27, the new Q50 looks so very contemporary. I like it - a lot. BUt hesitation remains for I just read in Motor Trend thaat the "same 3.7 engine and 7AT are utilized". They make no mention of any changes or enhancements to the drivetrain. That gives me pause....For consideration, does anyone know at this point if it has some extra room inside?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 AM
ATLG37'09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ This car in your world, would be called a.....*****drum roll please****

G37HXS (G37HybridAWDSPORT)

Who in their right mind would put a f**cking badge such as "G37HXS" on their car?

So...with that being said...

I whole-heartedly agree with Infiniti's name change.[/QUOTE]

Pretty simple guy here...IMO every designation isn't needed on the badge...G37H is what I would call it, but I get your point.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I wasn't super excited about the name change, I could understand the rationale given their hopes of increasing global sales and thought people will adjust quickly. What I don't understand, and maybe I've missed something, but the Q60 is thought to be the name of the next G coupe, but the QX60 is the new name for the JX. That makes no sense to me and will definitely confuse people. So the AWD next G coupe would be called Q60x not to be confused with the QX60 CVT driven thing???
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 AM
07G

Originally Posted by Nick3753
While I wasn't super excited about the name change, I could understand the rationale given their hopes of increasing global sales and thought people will adjust quickly. What I don't understand, and maybe I've missed something, but the Q60 is thought to be the name of the next G coupe, but the QX60 is the new name for the JX. That makes no sense to me and will definitely confuse people. So the AWD next G coupe would be called Q60x not to be confused with the QX60 CVT driven thing???
Time for a repost of the nomenclature image.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
sniper27, the new Q50 looks so very contemporary. I like it - a lot. BUt hesitation remains for I just read in Motor Trend thaat the "same 3.7 engine and 7AT are utilized". They make no mention of any changes or enhancements to the drivetrain. That gives me pause....For consideration, does anyone know at this point if it has some extra room inside?
I wouldn't buy the Q solely for that reason.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick3753
There will be no more 'x' to signify AWD cars. They will simply be labeled with AWD on the trunk, I think.

And people keep saying the G saved Infiniti... NO, the car itself, that just so happened to be named G35, saved Infiniti. The way you guys are making it seem is as if the letter G came in in its shining armor and was the hero of the day that saved Infiniti. It's the car people... not the name.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 07G
Time for a repost of the nomenclature image.
Thanks, but it still makes no sense that their "sport coupe/convertible" would have the same numerical name as the "7 passenger luxury crossover". It would be like Audi calling the Q5, the AQ5 since all their cars start with A (i.e. A5) . Should have dropped the Q all together from the crossovers and SUV range. Just called them "J60" or whatever they can find that isn't trademarked, not just add an X in there.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 PM
chocaholic

As the owner of a 2012 G37S Sedan Limited Edition, I'm really on the fence in terms of jumping to the Q. I understand the sport seats will be a bit more forgiving in the bolsters (a good thing) and will be the first G with drive by wire steering.

Is this Infiniti's first drive-by-wire effort, or do they have experience on other models. A little nervous about a first gen effort where there's no physical connection between steering wheel and front wheels. Any thoughts?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM
nisslover

Hmmm... speaking of the drive by wire... I wonder how will it work in the case of out of whack alignment and tire balance. Will the system translate that signature shake or pull in one or the other direction or will it negate it by automatically countering it, which in turn would take away the chance of you noticing those tale tale signs that most people are used to.

BTW, there is still a back-up physical connection in the case that the electronics fail in the steering.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by nisslover
Hmmm... speaking of the drive by wire... I wonder how will it work in the case of out of whack alignment and tire balance. Will the system translate that signature shake or pull in one or the other direction or will it negate it by automatically countering it, which in turn would take away the chance of you noticing those tale tale signs that most people are used to.

BTW, there is still a back-up physical connection in the case that the electronics fail in the steering.
Why would you even presume that it would be set up to do that even if it could? That wouldn't serve any positive purpose and would certainly cause huge problems. I'm going to definitively say no, it won't do that.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by chocaholic
Is this Infiniti's first drive-by-wire effort, or do they have experience on other models. A little nervous about a first gen effort where there's no physical connection between steering wheel and front wheels. Any thoughts?
It's a brand new technology, it's the first time it's ever been done. I'm pretty sure before implementing something like this they tested it quite a bit for safety. But if you feel that it's not safe and that there's a chance of losing all steering control unexpectedly, just avoid it altogether. I would. And as has been mentioned at least a half dozen times, there is still a traditional steering rack setup in place as a backup in case of electronics failure.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Mannn, if you guys dont quit it lmao.. They changed the name big deal who cares. It is not adversely affecting any of our lives, suck it up and deal with it lol. Either we buy the cars and support the brand or not. Not trying to be a d***, just saying guys.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:30 AM
nisslover

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Why would you even presume that it would be set up to do that even if it could? That wouldn't serve any positive purpose and would certainly cause huge problems. I'm going to definitively say no, it won't do that.
Was just a simple question... One of the marketed benefits of the new steering system is that it detects and "mitigates excessive road vibrations" that are transmitted through to the steering wheel causing it to "shimmy" or shake on current conventional steering systems. Maybe they figured out a way for the system to decipher between what is cause the shaking, who knows. But I think it is a valid concern. Not doubting the system, just wondering, and if they did figure that out then that is pretty crazy in an awesome way.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM
chocaholic

Originally Posted by Black Betty
And as has been mentioned at least a half dozen times, there is still a traditional steering rack setup in place as a backup in case of electronics failure.

Please forgive me for not having invested the hours needed to read through 106+ pages of postings on this thread before asking my question. And, although it may be there somewhere, I'm surprised to learn that there is to be a traditional steering column and steering rack. Seems that would negate any benefits of disconnection between steering wheel and steering rack.

Quick Reply: 2014 Sedan