G37 Sedan

Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
I just saw this listed on Ebay today with beveled edge tips and bought it. It said "last one" when I checked out. I paid for it and it says it will arrive next week. It better show up with the beveled edge tips and not the single layer tips. My receipt says:

Brand New released TOP SPEED PRO-1 Dual Performance Exhaust System in Polished Stainless Steel with TIG Welding with 102mm Bevel Edge Tips / 60mm Piping
I just got my exhaust today and they are indeed beveled. The fit and finish are nice, not prefect, but very nice. For the money I can't complain a bit. A comparable exhaust by any other company is pretty much twice the price.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 AM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Redpit
I just got my exhaust today and they are indeed beveled. The fit and finish are nice, not prefect, but very nice. For the money I can't complain a bit. A comparable exhaust by any other company is pretty much twice the price.
Cool! So how did everything line up during the install? Do the tips fit snug under the bumper? Did you have to bend the hangers?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Nice to hear they came as advertised Redpit
The sound is pretty damn nice (assuming it's the same as mine). Post some pics when you can. Definitely can't beat the deal!
Should probably post back in this thread too, since it seems they're back to where they should have been all along
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...the-sedan.html
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I literally just got them delivered 15 minutes before I posted, so they aren't installed yet. I will take some pics today or tomorrow when I get a few free moments. Hopefully I will get them all done this weekend, but that might be a long shot. It's ungodly hot here, I'm installing central air in my home this weekend, and I own 2 ice cream shops that will probably need me on top of all that. Looks like another 2am night with my G if I am going to get these installed.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:51 PM
zubi82

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
New tip

Just got my Top Speed exhaust. The tips weren't the best but not miserable. I ended up changing the tips with a pair of VPE beveled edge tips
Attached Thumbnails Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.-img_1847-2.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 PM
4DOORFUN

Originally Posted by zubi82
Just got my Top Speed exhaust. The tips weren't the best but not miserable. I ended up changing the tips with a pair of VPE beveled edge tips
I think you can bend the hangers so those tips fit more snug within cutouts on the rear bumper. I did that when I had my Tanabes.
The following users liked this post:
zubi82 (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM
zubi82

Thanks for the tip. I think I am gonna try that. That is my only issue with the exhaust. Other wise it sounds great
Old 05-31-2013, 10:20 AM
zubi82

Tip replacements

Just in case any one is interested in the tips. These fit perfectly

Amazon.com: Vibrant 1207 Round Stainless Steel Tip: Automotive Amazon.com: Vibrant 1207 Round Stainless Steel Tip: Automotive
Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 AM
4DOORFUN

Just in case any one is interested in the tips. These fit perfectly

Amazon.com: Vibrant 1207 Round Stainless Steel Tip: Automotive
Those look nice. Do you have to cut the original ones off and weld these on? I have not received my new exhaust yet so I don't know. I would consider these if the diameter is smaller than the Top Speed tips. Those are too large for my taste.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
zubi82

Yeah, I had the old ones cut off and the new VPE tips welded on. The original Top Speed straight tip had a diameter of around 4.5 inches. The VPE tips have a 4 inch diameter.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
The original Top Speed straight tip had a diameter of around 4.5 inches. The VPE tips have a 4 inch diameter.
Of which both sizes are disproportionately large, unless it's oval. 3.5" is about right. Anything larger looks obnoxious and goofy...

...which is an opinion that conflicts with contemporary styles, the bulk of which have over-sized tips.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 AM
4DOORFUN

Originally Posted by Rochester
Of which both sizes are disproportionately large, unless it's oval. 3.5" is about right. Anything larger looks obnoxious and goofy...

...which is an opinion that conflicts with contemporary styles, the bulk of which have over-sized tips.
Totally agree. It is my only complaint about this exhaust. My
Tanabe was the same way. I really don't understand the extra large tips. I must be getting old.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
Totally agree. It is my only complaint about this exhaust. My
Tanabe was the same way. I really don't understand the extra large tips. I must be getting old.
In my experience, there is a clear difference in European and Asian styles. Of all the exhausts I've seen for Asian cars, they have super shiny cans with big tips. The Europeans seem to prefer the more subtle style. Most of the time, you can't see a large shiny can hanging under the car with giant coffee can size tips. Take a C63 AMG for example and you can't even see giant mufflers with big tips. Just 4 subtle oval tips.

Last edited by sniper27; 05-31-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
In my experience, there is a clear difference in European and Asian styles.
Good observations there, Sniper. I hadn't made that distinction until you pointed it out.

You know what current trend in exhaust tips that I'm really disliking? It's the one where there is no tip, just a rusty little nub hiding in the shadows behind a chrome trimmed hole in the bumper.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Good observations there, Sniper. I hadn't made that distinction until you pointed it out.

You know what current trend in exhaust tips that I'm really disliking? It's the one where there is no tip, just a rusty little nub hiding in the shadows behind a chrome trimmed hole in the bumper.
The "integrated" tips in the bumper, like Lexus, Genesis, BMW 7 series...? Those are ok, if done right. Some are just odd shapes. But I do prefer the subtle oval tips, preferably in black or black chrome. And I definitely don't like the big shiny cans showing under the car. Reminds me of my Civic back in the 90's.

Quick Reply: Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.