G37 Sedan

Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
All joking aside, I'm actually interested in the topic at hand. Last year I went through much consideration about exhaust tips, and followed through on something that I'm 95% happy with.

And as you can imagine, that last 5% has been really bugging me.
I like the look of those cut tips on your G, w/ your black valence it's a real clean look. I know all too well about the 5%, as I'm 95% satisfied w/ the overall look of my ride, I think a similar detail to my valence might get me about 99% right
Then I'll just have that pesky 1% keeping me awake at night
Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Lew
They claimed that they were going to change it back to rolled tips with their latest batch. You're going to want to call to confirm.

And it will be over 3 weeks soon. Cleaning it up this Sunday, then dropping it off next Monday at a muffler shop to get the hangers adjusted to have it sit higher\closer to the bumper cut outs. I rarely have time to work on my car anymore.

Nope, they just told they are not making any more double walled tips due to low demand. Bummer.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
Nope, they just told they are not making any more double walled tips due to low demand. Bummer.
Well, that's a total crock-o-$hit. 25 of us bought their exhaust expecting to get rolled tips. Then they stated that moving forward, luxury cars will get rolled tips.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

The low demand is probably due to all the bad feedback when they pulled the bait&switch on all the guys in the group buy. They definitely reaped what the sowed on this one
Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Good news, I contacted them earlier today, and literally just got an eBay message from them saying the double wall tip is due back in June. Here's the message:

"Hi,

We will expecting a new shipment with Roll Edge tips version around June.

Thank you !

- topspeed-pro1-performance"

Sent Date: Apr-16-13
Old 04-16-2013, 02:24 PM
4DOORFUN

Originally Posted by blnewt
The low demand is probably due to all the bad feedback when they pulled the bait&switch on all the guys in the group buy. They definitely reaped what the sowed on this one
I don’t believe the low demand story either. I suspect they just can’t get the double walled tips made at the same cost as they used to so they made a switch to cheaper tips. That is too bad because I would probably by this exhaust with the double walled tips and so would many others.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:27 PM
4DOORFUN

Originally Posted by Redpit
Good news, I contacted them earlier today, and literally just got an eBay message from them saying the double wall tip is due back in June. Here's the message:

"Hi,

Thank you !

That is weird because I got my information about an hour ago via private message with Top Speed Pro.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Yeah I'd say that's odd. Hopefully the person in the know is the one who handles the eBay messages.

I was sent my message about 2-3 hours ago.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

I'm back.....

It's all done (Rochester can now rest easy) :P It's been raining here for days so all I have are shop pics:

Name:  Exhaust_zpse3aa5000.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  Exhaust2_zpsfb03d3bc.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  Exhaust3_zps052b298d.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  Exhaust1_zps07c92d32.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  59.0 KB

There you have it. IMO, well worth the time and money. If anyone in the Chicago area is looking to do this or needs a shop for custom exhaust or welding, Corwell Customs in Naperville is the place to go!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Getting details right is always worth the effort. These look nice. I've always been fond of the resonated, double-wall design, where you look inside and see the perforated inner wall. Wonder how that's going to look after it gets all carbon'd up. Better, I'm thinking.

Both tips are slightly off-center, the driver's side much more so than the other. I'm guessing those pics weren't final shots.

Damn, that's a clean garage.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Not final shots. My friend actually took the car while I was working and snapped a few pics while it was being adjusted. Once it stops raining here I can get final pics, but yeah, they are slightly off.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Big thumbs up Lew, very clean & finished look now. Nice to have a good welding shop on hand, tough at times to find a reliable one. Too bad you had to go through all the hassle but the finished look was worth it I'd say.
You probably mentioned it earlier but what diameter specs did you go with (at the can and the outer tip)??
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt

You probably mentioned it earlier but what diameter specs did you go with (at the can and the outer tip)??
Thanks. I just wish I had that shop weld the tips too. Probably would of saved some money on the job and they would of been perfect. Oh well.

The tips are 4" OD and a modified inlet. As for measurements, the numbers posted on here were wrong. The extension pipe off the muffler OD was not 2.25, but 2 3/8. I gave Tony 2.25 and he reduced his inlet diameter from 2.5" to 2 3/8 so they lined up but the tip didn't slip over the extension like it was designed to do, so I had to have most of his work that I paid extra for ground down. I would think, if you did 2.5" ID on the tip inlet, you should be fine. Might have a little play, but a decent welder should be able to tack it into place, adjust it, and weld it in place.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM
4DOORFUN

Originally Posted by Redpit

"Hi,

Thank you !

I just saw this listed on Ebay today with beveled edge tips and bought it. It said "last one" when I checked out. I paid for it and it says it will arrive next week. It better show up with the beveled edge tips and not the single layer tips. My receipt says:

Brand New released TOP SPEED PRO-1 Dual Performance Exhaust System in Polished Stainless Steel with TIG Welding with 102mm Bevel Edge Tips / 60mm Piping
Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I just saw this listed on Ebay today with beveled edge tips and bought it. It said "last one" when I checked out. I paid for it and it says it will arrive next week. It better show up with the beveled edge tips and not the single layer tips. My receipt says:

Brand New released TOP SPEED PRO-1 Dual Performance Exhaust System in Polished Stainless Steel with TIG Welding with 102mm Bevel Edge Tips / 60mm Piping
Look forward to pics, you should be very happy w/it if it's as advertised.

Quick Reply: Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.