G37 Sedan

Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tips go on next Friday! Perfect timing too. My exhaust tips have rust spots all over them. =/
Old 03-21-2013, 03:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Lew
Tips go on next Friday! Perfect timing too. My exhaust tips have rust spots all over them. =/
Bet you can't wait to get rid of those jagged tin cans, look forward to pics, should make a huge difference
Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Psyched for you on this project, Sweet Lew. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Bet you can't wait to get rid of those jagged tin cans, look forward to pics, should make a huge difference
Tin cans..Sooo true. LOL!

I'm debating if I should sell the exhaust after I get the tips on and take advantage of the FI group buy.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Tomorrow!!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

FINALLY! They are on! However, we had one small hangup:

The outside diameter of the extension pipe from the muffler is NOT 2.25". It is 2 3/8". That's what FI made the reducer ID so they lined up fine, but it didn't slip over the extension like they were supposed to. Had the welder grind the reducer down a little to fit over the extension pipes. Once that was done, the welding was completed quickly.

We got the tips centered in the cutouts, but by doing that the tips are angled inward just a hair. They are uniform, so it doesn't look bad at all. IMO, being centered in the cutouts was more important. I ran out of time so they didn't get to adjust the hangers to raise the exhaust up. I will get that done this Summer and possibly straighten out the tips but I'm open to opinions when I get pics up.

Now, some good info in regards to the TS exhaust:

1. It IS stainless Steel. We did the magnet test and it didn't stick to any place on the exhaust.

2. One reason the welds are rusting could be due to the factory welds possibly getting too hot and burning off the nickel and just leaving iron. He did comment that the main welds themselves did look nice.

3. He also said that stainless steel will rust. That's why it's not called "Stain-Proof". He did say it seemed a little premature, but again, could be due to the harsh winter and the use of salt on the roads.

I want to clean up the rest of the exhaust this weekend. Expect to see pics by Sunday night.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So with all the complaints, is TopSpeed going to start making their double walled tips again? Anyone know?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I want to clean up the rest of the exhaust this weekend. Expect to see pics by Sunday night.
Been over two weeks.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
So with all the complaints, is TopSpeed going to start making their double walled tips again? Anyone know?
They claimed that they were going to change it back to rolled tips with their latest batch. You're going to want to call to confirm.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Been over two weeks.
And it will be over 3 weeks soon. Cleaning it up this Sunday, then dropping it off next Monday at a muffler shop to get the hangers adjusted to have it sit higher\closer to the bumper cut outs. I rarely have time to work on my car anymore.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Been over two weeks.
That's coming from a guy that takes a year to research, plan, re-research, then decide it was never something he should have considered to begin with
You know I'm j/k
sorta-kinda
Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That's coming from a guy that takes a year to research, plan, re-research, then decide it was never something he should have considered to begin with
You know I'm j/k
sorta-kinda
While I admit that's not an unfair personality assessment, it's also not the same thing. Sweet Lew very explicitly said he would take pictures in a couple days, but didn't.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Oh yeah! Did you order those Berk HFCs yet? :P

The tips are from a FI exhaust. IF you look at a pic of a FI CBE installed on a V36 G sedan, then that's what it's going to look like once it's done. Sorry to disappoint, but with family, work, and everything else, cars are low on the priority list at the moment.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh yeah! Did you order those Berk HFCs yet? :P

The tips are from a FI exhaust. IF you look at a pic of a FI CBE installed on a V36 G sedan, then that's what it's going to look like once it's done. Sorry to disappoint, but with family, work, and everything else, cars are low on the priority list at the moment.
Say what you want boss, but you're the one who whored this thread, all excited about getting exhaust tips, and then suddenly: crickets.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Say what you want boss, but you're the one who whored this thread, all excited about getting exhaust tips, and then suddenly: crickets.
Your daily snippets are priceless, gotta be careful drinking my AM coffee when I read your replies, many times my laptop screen just about gets drenched
Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Your daily snippets are priceless, gotta be careful drinking my AM coffee when I read your replies, many times my laptop screen just about gets drenched
All joking aside, I'm actually interested in the topic at hand. Last year I went through much consideration about exhaust tips, and followed through on something that I'm 95% happy with.

And as you can imagine, that last 5% has been really bugging me.

Quick Reply: Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.