G37 Sedan

Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Atlbrav1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Lew
Welp...Finally getting new tips made.

Been working with Tony at Fast Intentions and he will be using the 4" double wall resonated tips that he puts on their Infiniti exhausts and fabbing it to fit the TopSpeed 2.25" short pipes (Tony likes to call them "Nipples") . Details from Tony:

"I can modify our current 4" tip down to 7" overall. I will make the inlet accept 2.25" inside of it to slide directly over your current nipples. For the extra 1/2" that I have just cut your nipples a 1/2" back."

Cost: $85\ea. If interested, hit up Tony via email or call FI.
Hey Sweet Lew. Definately looking forward to how these come out from Fast Intentions. When you get them, post up some pics!! Thx!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

OH, I will. May take me a bit to get them on since the shop I want to use doesn't have weekend hours. I may also have my neighbor do it.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Tips shipped out. Should get them next week. :-)
Old 12-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Atlbrav1

Tips shipped out. Should get them next week. :-)
Awesome !! Can't wait to see how they turned out?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Got em today! They look awesome:

Attached Thumbnails Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.-2013-01-03194249_zpse2ba3b37.jpg   Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.-2013-01-03194313_zps74bd24ed.jpg   Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.-2013-01-03194425_zps57c4c995.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Now that's more like it
Got em today! They look awesome:

Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Tony did some great work! Unfortunately, I will wait to put these on until Spring. All of this talk about these exhausts rusting has made me curious on how mine will look after winter. Chicago hasn't seen snow or salt yet.

Plus the shop I want to go to doesn't have weekend hours, so my next day off is Good Friday. Hopefully he's open then.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Atlbrav1

Tony did some great work! Unfortunately, I will wait to put these on until Spring. All of this talk about these exhausts rusting has made me curious on how mine will look after winter. Chicago hasn't seen snow or salt yet.

Plus the shop I want to go to doesn't have weekend hours, so my next day off is Good Friday. Hopefully he's open then.
They do look incredible. Definately a 1000% improvement from the cut edge tips we have now. I understand wanting to wait until spring to install them, however, if it's not to much to ask, would it be possible to take a pic or two holding the new tips up next to the existing tips?
Thanks if you can....
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Atlbrav1
if it's not to much to ask, would it be possible to take a pic or two holding the new tips up next to the existing tips?
Thanks if you can....
Yeeeeaaah.....No... They might go on in January if my welder friend has time later in the month. If he does, then I'll take picks after he saws off the orig. tips.

Stay Tuned!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
They look a lot like those "Daytona" tips from Sebring Tuning, but with a much thicker, rolled edge. Round, resonated, double-walled, 20* (?) slash-cut.

I remember when I joined this forum, and members told me (with some attitude, IMO) that no one here just replaces tips. Nice to see they were wrong, and people do consider these details. I'm interested in what's going on here, but need to restrain myself from swapping tips again; to revisit this after an aftermarket exhaust goes on the car.

Anyway, in for the pics on the car. I'm sure they're going to look good. Nice project.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-05-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Sweet Law, these are the tip design that FI puts on their Infiniti Catbacks, right?

If I'm reading your posts right, it looks like you asked FI to customize a pair of tips for length, which I understand. But why reduce the neck diameter? If the ID of the neck is just barely large enough to support the cut pipe, then when it comes to welding these things to the cans, you're going to have a heck of a time lining it up properly within the cut-outs on the bumper.

Good luck, man. It doesn't seem like you've got much room for slack.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
They look a lot like those "Daytona" tips from Sebring Tuning, but with a much thicker, rolled edge. Round, resonated, double-walled, 20* (?) slash-cut.
Yep..They do look similar. You know why? Because FI uses Sebring for their mufflers and tips.

I remember when I joined this forum, and members told me (with some attitude, IMO) that no one here just replaces tips. Nice to see they were wrong, and people do consider these details. I'm interested in what's going on here, but need to restrain myself from swapping tips again; to revisit this after an aftermarket exhaust goes on the car.

Anyway, in for the pics on the car. I'm sure they're going to look good. Nice project.
I could really care less what others say. It's my car, I'll mod it my way. I just hate the single wall tips that came with the TopSpeed system. If they were the double walled tips that were supposed to come with it, there wouldn't be this thread.

Sweet Law, these are the tip design that FI puts on their Infiniti Catbacks, right?
Yes.

If I'm reading your posts right, it looks like you asked FI to customize a pair of tips for length, which I understand. But why reduce the neck diameter? If the ID of the neck is just barely large enough to support the cut pipe, then when it comes to welding these things to the cans, you're going to have a heck of a time lining it up properly within the cut-outs on the bumper.

Good luck, man. It doesn't seem like you've got much room for slack.
You're not reading it right. :P I asked them to customize for length and inlet OD. Their tips are 8.5" long with a 2.5" inlet OD, the TS ones are 6.5" long with a 2.25" inlet OD. They shortened them to 7.5" and reduced the inlet OD to 2.25". I also a have 3" pipe from the muffler to the tip so I have plenty of wiggle room.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You're not reading it right. :P I asked them to customize for length and inlet OD. Their tips are 8.5" long with a 2.5" inlet OD, the TS ones are 6.5" long with a 2.25" inlet OD. They shortened them to 7.5" and reduced the inlet OD to 2.25". I also a have 3" pipe from the muffler to the tip so I have plenty of wiggle room.
Sure does seem like I read that right, then.

Customized for length, right. But the ID adjustment doesn't make sense to me. Seems you're expecting to slip the tip over the cut extension as a perfect fit, and then weld. This approach instead of welding the tip to the flat of the can. That's why I said "good luck" in lining the tips up perfectly in the bumper cut-out. Know what I mean?

Anyway... FI gets their tips from Sebring? Good info, Lew.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Sure does seem like I read that right, then.

Customized for length, right. But the ID adjustment doesn't make sense to me. Seems you're expecting to slip the tip over the cut extension as a perfect fit, and then weld. This approach instead of welding the tip to the flat of the can. That's why I said "good luck" in lining the tips up perfectly in the bumper cut-out. Know what I mean?

Anyway... FI gets their tips from Sebring? Good info, Lew.
I read your post again and I see what you mean. It should be fine as long as I use an experienced welder and not a Merlins\CarX. It should be easier to line up since "Sebring" is stamped on the top :P Funny thing is I looked at Sebring before contacting Tony at FI and they didn't have a 4" tip with a 2.25" inlet. Closest was 3.75 which wouldn't be all THAT bad but I wanted 4" to replace 4".

I've got a few places recommended to me by local Z\G enthusiasts and I have a buddy from the local Volvo scene (other car is an XC70) who welds along with another who own his own fab\weld shop. I think I'm in good hands.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It should be fine as long as I use an experienced welder
And that really is it right there. Welding skills is an art, and a good welder is a priceless contact.

Quick Reply: Top-Speed Exhaust Tips Thread.