G37 Sedan

2 small rips in my leather. Is it covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2 small rips in my leather. Is it covered under warranty?

I will have this car for a year on September 24 and I've found a small (half inch in length) tear on the leather of one of my interior doors that isn't scuffed so I don't know how it developed. Now another small one has started on the driver side arm rest which I'm assuming is from resting my arm on there daily while I drive.

Neither is from abuse and I'm pretty **** about my car's looks so it's bothering me not to mention if the arm rest is starting to rip now I can't imagine what it will look like 2 years from now. Neither tear is folding back but it's a crease that's noticeable. And I clean and condition the leather every few months so it's annoying that it's already starting to scuff.

The car is not even a year old so I don't think it should be happening this early. Anybody had this trouble and gotten it refitted in a reasonable amount of time while under the bumper to bumper warranty and was the dealer difficult in getting them to replace it. I remember I had a problem with cloth seats on a prior car and the dealer made me wait several months for a rep from head office to show up to take pictures and then I had to wait another few months for the decision and new seats to be ordered. All in all it took almost a year from when I 1st complained until i got the seat cloth replaced.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
i would assume they're going to tell you that it's normal wear and tear and that it isn't a manufacturer defect.....in essence, you're probably S.O.L.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Yosemite Dan

Originally Posted by Mattster
i would assume they're going to tell you that it's normal wear and tear and that it isn't a manufacturer defect.....in essence, you're probably S.O.L.
You really think so? Leather starting to tear less than a year of ownership is not what I consider normal. if that's the case I'm gonna call tomorrow before my 1 year anniversary because the 1 year warranty is supposed to protect against wear and tear items.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
you could try.

not gonna hurt, but just prepare a rebuttal for them saying no
Old 09-13-2012, 02:48 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one on your door might be from the seat belt not retracting properly and got caught when you shut the door. That's what happened to me. If that's the case you could argue that the seat belt did not retract properly and therefore such defect caused the problem.

I don't think that piece on the door is leather tho. I wonder if I can use one of those leather repair kit to repair it.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 AM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are tears in vinyl. Neither of those areas are leather. Doubt your warranty will cover. Perhaps consult a furniture repair or car interior customizing shop for suggestions and quotes for a fix.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM
racing_md

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would try. I had the same rip in the left arm rest covered by a warranty repair at an Atlanta dealership. I agree that it is bs for a problem to occur in such a short amount of time...
Old 09-13-2012, 11:25 AM
crawlbugg
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
I had 2 separate tears on my drivers seat and I took it to the dealership and they replaced it under warranty for free. If I were you I'd take it back to the dealer and complain a little. They SHOULD fix it under warranty.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:29 AM
stanv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
You really think so? Leather starting to tear less than a year of ownership is not what I consider normal. if that's the case I'm gonna call tomorrow before my 1 year anniversary because the 1 year warranty is supposed to protect against wear and tear items.
Well if you have a wear and tear warranty, jump on it NOW. Don't let them delay it till it's too late because they might try...
& Any agreements or decisions they make, make sure it's in writing, either e-mail or signed paper.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Yosemite Dan

Originally Posted by stanv
Well if you have a wear and tear warranty, jump on it NOW. Don't let them delay it till it's too late because they might try...
& Any agreements or decisions they make, make sure it's in writing, either e-mail or signed paper.
Every car manufacturer, as far as I know, have that type of warranty in the 1st year. So if your brake pads wear out in 9 months for some reason, then you should be getting them replaced for free under that warranty. The only thing not covered would be tires. I think there's a 12000 mile limit.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 AM
GhostFaceKilla
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't think so.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Do you have any pics of the damage?

Infiniti replaced my 7 month old drivers seat cover because it was wearing prematurely.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...aring-off.html
Old 11-01-2012, 03:26 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Any updates on this Dan?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Any updates on this Dan?
he was probably shut down and didn't want to hear the 'told ya' so he ran away from his thread.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
My friend had the seat replaced in his 2 year old G37X with a new cushion because it was wearing prematurely.

The dealer wont automatically say no. Take it in and try. Your car is less than a year old with a tear in the seat. I would hope they'd fix it.

Quick Reply: 2 small rips in my leather. Is it covered under warranty?