G37 Sedan

The lease on my G is ending soon. What to get next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:44 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
nissan maxima, honda accord, nissan altima? cost seems to be the driving factor, and these should all be $5-10k less than a G. the V6 versions have decent power, albeit FWD powertrains. something has to give...
Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
@blnewt, You're right, i never drove the genesis sedan, but did drive several coupe 6mt's. I was left with a feeling of eh. My experience with the 2011 kia optima sx (the turbo) is what left a very sour taste about the entire kia/hyundai line. Other than the engine and creature comforts, the car had absolutely nothing else going for it. Not a driver's car, that's for sure.

The genesis sedan is a completely different animal than the coupe. In fact, it's surprising they kept the same name. It's nothing like comparing the G sedan/coupe where the two are quite similar. It's probably not fair to fault the entire kia line because of 2 cars - a 2012 sorento loaner drove just as poorly as the optima, with severe torque steer and pulling even when at steady throttle (cruising). But that's how I feel about the company now. Ymmv
Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 PM
LH1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're open to it, you could pick up a used Pontiac G8 GT. It has the power, looks good (to me), has a big backseat and a huge trunk. Not sure if the seats fold down. Most importantly it would be cheaper.

Dodge Charger. Most of the same qualities as the G8.

Test drive the new Altima with the V6.

How about the new Cadillac ATS?

Last edited by LH1; 09-11-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Sweet Lew
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still say check out a Volvo S60 T5. They are FWD but you can get them now in AWD. THey usually run good lease deals. Beautiful interiors, excellent quality, reliable and of course...SAFE!!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 PM
jddssc121

Why is BMW maint a problem for a lease customer? He'll be covered under free maint for the life of the lease.......
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
M37x would be a nice upgrade.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
How come no one mentioned the new Nissan Altima. From the reviews, it looks good.

'11 G37 premium sedan
Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Cheaper than the G? Well based upon your credit score, FICO, etc. you can lease a G sedan for around 300 with a bit of money down. Not sure how much you were paying on the G you own now but 300-330 isn't bad.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
OP stated he wanted the next car to be cheaper than the G, except for the RDX and possibly the C250 & A4, all will cost the same or significantly more than the G.
Understandable. However Im considering the LEASE payout for the years he will be leasing rather than the car itself. If the OP himself wants to purchase the car, then it will be a different ball game. Every dealer has its own terms, downs, deals, etc based on his financial background.

But OP, I saw your response to mine and cheaper, Nissan Altima is one that I forgot. Or check Acura ILX. Honda Accord. Toyota Camry.

Toyota 4 Runner
Toyota High Lander

I mean each car has its ups and downs, but merely just giving you a list.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by BlackedOutNJ
Got my G from these guys.. from Brooklyn, check them out 0 down great deals no bs

Welcome to Legend Leasing. The best lease deals in NY, NJ,CT, PA, MD, MA. Acura, Audi, BMW, Honda, Nissan, VW
Not bad at all. Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by canucklehead
nissan maxima, honda accord, nissan altima?
Not too crazy about the Accord. I like the Maxima and Altima. If only they didn't have the CVT tranny. It's pretty bad and takes the fun out of driving.

Originally Posted by Sweet Lew
I still say check out a Volvo S60 T5. They are FWD but you can get them now in AWD. THey usually run good lease deals. Beautiful interiors, excellent quality, reliable and of course...SAFE!!
It goes for almost $400/month unfortunately.

Originally Posted by P Casey
Cheaper than the G? Well based upon your credit score, FICO, etc. you can lease a G sedan for around 300 with a bit of money down. Not sure how much you were paying on the G you own now but 300-330 isn't bad.
300 is good, but I'd like something bigger, and I'd hate to get one just before they come out with the new shape.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
The lease on my 2010 G37X is ending in a few months, and I'm not sure what to get next.

For the most part I'm happy with the G, minus the terrible MPG, cramped cabin, compartments and trunk, non-folding rear seats, and awful paint.

My next car needs to be a little bigger (Sedan, Crossover, SUV), have enough power, decent handling, preferably AWD but not a deal breaker, and it needs to be cheaper than the G.

I was thinking VW Passat VR6, but I was never a fan of ze German auto.

Please feel free to provide feedbacks and opinions,
Thanks
Without being a "fanboy", and I'm not suggesting a G should be your next car.

- You live in Brooklyn and drive a fairly fast car. With the exception of a Prius or Volt, driving a car with the equivalent performance will net you equivalent gas mileage. Want a car that goes 0 to 60 in nearly 5 seconds? Your gas bill will suffer.
- Lack of AWD is a deal breaker for me. There have been some very bad storms on the east coast, save for last winter. Unless you have a secondary winter car or want to put on snows, I would think you want AWD; but that's me.
- Cramped I guess is relative. I really like the size. I am extremely comfortable in the G.
- Non-folding rear seats, clearly that is a plus not a deal breaker
- Awful paint; meh YMMV. It's not the worst, nor the best.

You got a lot of choices out there. When I got my G, I started on one end of town hitting every dealer and test driving cars. Driving all of the different luxury and non-luxury models made me realize the G was the right choice at the time. If I had to do it again, I would still make the same decision.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
The OP wants something less expensive than the G, but doesn't want a CVT. I've got two suggestions:

Kia Optima 2.0T
Volkswagon CC 2.0T

They each get good mileage. They're sporty and contemporary in a tasteful way (IMO). Not too big... not too small. And neither will break the bank. Plus, the dual-clutch in the CC is pretty amazing. (You can get a 6MT in the VW, too, but it's kind of dull.)

I've test-driven both, and between the two, I think the CC is the superior car. The Optima has more external design style, but the CC's interior wins hands down.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 AM
stanv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, cheaper than a G gives you few options. Maybe you can play with Lexus ES or RX pricing but I doubt it because a new body just came out.
You're most likely going to have to downgrade because an SUV is more expensive.
Consider looking through Toyota or Honda SUV's. Their V6's have a surprising push (not comparable to the G of course).
Perfect choice would be the RX. However, if the price is too high, maybe check out the RAV4 V6, or Honda Pilot.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Without being a "fanboy", and I'm not suggesting a G should be your next car.

- You live in Brooklyn and drive a fairly fast car. With the exception of a Prius or Volt, driving a car with the equivalent performance will net you equivalent gas mileage. Want a car that goes 0 to 60 in nearly 5 seconds? Your gas bill will suffer.
- Lack of AWD is a deal breaker for me. There have been some very bad storms on the east coast, save for last winter. Unless you have a secondary winter car or want to put on snows, I would think you want AWD; but that's me.
- Cramped I guess is relative. I really like the size. I am extremely comfortable in the G.
- Non-folding rear seats, clearly that is a plus not a deal breaker
- Awful paint; meh YMMV. It's not the worst, nor the best.

You got a lot of choices out there. When I got my G, I started on one end of town hitting every dealer and test driving cars. Driving all of the different luxury and non-luxury models made me realize the G was the right choice at the time. If I had to do it again, I would still make the same decision.

Good luck.
I love the G, but maybe it's time for a change. And I like AWD, but I can live with FWD.

Ive never been too comfortable in the G, especially on long drives. The G is a driver's car, it's fun but it's also a bit of a workout to drive this thing.

Often I find myself putting (or at least trying to put) something long or big in the trunk. It never fits. I have resort to taking my wife's Sentra instead, which is sad.

The paint on my wife's nails is better than the G. I have never seen anything like this. Any car, and I mean any car does it better.

Originally Posted by Rochester
The OP wants something less expensive than the G, but doesn't want a CVT. I've got two suggestions:

Kia Optima 2.0T
Volkswagon CC 2.0T

They each get good mileage. They're sporty and contemporary in a tasteful way (IMO). Not too big... not too small. And neither will break the bank. Plus, the dual-clutch in the CC is pretty amazing. (You can get a 6MT in the VW, too, but it's kind of dull.)

I've test-driven both, and between the two, I think the CC is the superior car. The Optima has more external design style, but the CC's interior wins hands down.
CC with 4Motion is $42K
Sadly, the Passat doesn't even come with 4Motion this year as I found out.

Originally Posted by stanv
Honestly, cheaper than a G gives you few options. Maybe you can play with Lexus ES or RX pricing but I doubt it because a new body just came out.
You're most likely going to have to downgrade because an SUV is more expensive.
Consider looking through Toyota or Honda SUV's. Their V6's have a surprising push (not comparable to the G of course).
Perfect choice would be the RX. However, if the price is too high, maybe check out the RAV4 V6, or Honda Pilot.
All those cars cost more or the same to lease than the G
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM
stanv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X

All those cars cost more or the same to lease than the G
The RAV4 is cheaper. Should probably come out around 250-280? Not 100% sure though. Haven't looked in a while. In Brooklyn, apparently everyone I've heard has said Crown Auto Leasing by 2875 W 8th St (DMV building) has been giving SICK deals...maybe call and ask.

Quick Reply: The lease on my G is ending soon. What to get next?