G37 Sedan

To shadow trim or not - that is the "?"

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:04 AM
asifali14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To shadow trim or not - that is the "?"

Wonder what your guys opinions are on the shadow trim - i went to Lowes and bought electric tape(0.75cents) to mock the trim, although i will probably do a glossy finish on the trim to match the window post.

What do you guys think? Go with vinyl wrap or keep it chrome?
Attached Thumbnails To shadow trim or not - that is the "?"-image.jpg   To shadow trim or not - that is the "?"-image2.jpg   To shadow trim or not - that is the "?"-image3.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 05:58 AM
JChastain

That's a tuff one. I like it both ways. Depends what look your after.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Brandisher

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I like the stock chrome better
Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I think it depends on what else you plan on doing. If you're planning to leave your grill, trunk lip, and wheels chrome/silver then I'd stay w/ the chrome trim. If you black out a few more items the trim would go great IMO. If you haven't seen my DIY vinyl trim thread check it out, it's a simple & cheap project.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 AM
ericmadGRR

I have a GS too, I bought Matte Graphite CV3's so my chrome trim looks out of place. If you are keeping stock wheels it looks fine stock, looks sexy blacked out too.. I am gonna go a different more unique look with my trim though.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:00 AM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I think it depends on what else you plan on doing. If you're planning to leave your grill, trunk lip, and wheels chrome/silver then I'd stay w/ the chrome trim. If you black out a few more items the trim would go great IMO. If you haven't seen my DIY vinyl trim thread check it out, it's a simple & cheap project.
Agreed. It depends on the road you will be heading towards. You can either go complete sport or a class.

On my GS, I two-toned the grill, color-matched rear stock chrome spoiler, and plan to customize the headlights along with black roof/side trim.

I just dont like chrome on any cars, especially being the window trim.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:17 PM
asifali14

Thanks for the responses - im leaning towards vinyl wrapping the trim as well. I want to wrap the rear spoiler with vinyl instead of plasti dip.

what do you guys think?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM
WeisG35

Originally Posted by blnewt
Do it and use blnewt's write-up (I did and it was a great tutorial). But I also agree on figuring out what your overall theme is going to be before you make the plunge. I my opinion, if you black out the window trim, the grill and trunk lip will need a change too. With your color, I would go body-color trunk lip (or the oem spoiler) and either all-black or midnight grill. I would leave all of the emblems as-is but they would look great black as well.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by asifali14
...What do you guys think? Go with vinyl wrap or keep it chrome?
Def go with the vinyl over the chrome...and to match do the same with the chrome lip on the trunk.
...maybe vinyl wrap the mirrors too??
Old 08-21-2012, 03:36 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
it's all personal preference. I say do it. But some will say to leave it chrome. I had my window trim and grill wrapped.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by asifali14
Wonder what your guys opinions are on the shadow trim - i went to Lowes and bought electric tape(0.75cents) to mock the trim, although i will probably do a glossy finish on the trim to match the window post.

What do you guys think? Go with vinyl wrap or keep it chrome?
With the color of your car, I could go either way. Both actually look good.

I'll say this: cudos for mocking it up with electrical tape so that you could assess the idea. I did that years ago with my previous car, and came away thinking it's something that only looks good on darker cars. Just one guy's opinion, though, neither right nor wrong.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The chrome trim around the windows looks classy. Once a signature of pricey sedans, it's lately been adopted by the cheaper Hyundai and Kia and such, making chrome trim not so unique.

But I still think it looks classy with the chrome instead, just my personal view though.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Ra_
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the black lines. Looks like you are lowered and maybe spacers? Looks good.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Definitely chrome trims look better. If you want to go with black, try high glossy ones.

And, get black wheels too. Better, if you had a black car.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 PM
pricojorge

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
damn you did a good job with the electrical tape lol

Quick Reply: To shadow trim or not - that is the "?"