G37 Sedan

Bird poop stain - What would be the solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bird poop stain - What would be the solution?

I just had a car wash on Sunday and Yesterday when I'm wiping off the bird poop spot I noticed there is yellow-alike stain underneath the clear coat, I tried to clay it but it wont come off. My question would be does it really penetrated through the clearcoat? Will there any remedy solution? Also will high temperature casued bird stain penetration faster process? (the day LA is about 105F and when I'm wiping the car it's not under cool surface condition)

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Jes-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar stain that was really bad for a while. I washed the car about 4 times and waxed it twice. It seems to have improved. Bird poop is really hard on the paint that why if I ever see some on the car I try to wash the car immediately.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had that problem happen a few times. I tried everything to remove the stains which seemed to penetrate the clear coat, and nothing worked.

The SUN seems to bleach out the stain eventually. I didn't think it was possible, but the stain eventually just disappeared by itself after several weeks. This has happened a few times. So, the solution seems to be: do nothing and it will fix itself.

Bird poop is the worst. The stain may go away, but sometimes the poop actually seems to etch the clear coat, leaving a sort of embossed mark that you can only see if you look at just the exact angle. I always check for poop and rinse it off asap.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

thanks guys for the input. It just really hard to take care of car because my work place has a large parking lot and it's on the hill.. tons of birds flying around..'

i will wait for couple weeks so how it evolve
Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me... it wasn't yellow, just a 'shadow' of where the poop was. I used a clay bar, then hit it with a polisher... gone.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:50 PM
stanv

Damn...I never knew bird poop was this lethal.
They must be looking for revenge.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Try mother's ultimate compound, apply with a microfiber, 1-2 mins or so of hand polishing and it'll go away. Top it with wax after you're done.

Best defense is to do a walk around of your car every time you get home, check for pollen spots and bird poop. Could carry a microfiber and some quick detailer in the trunk for spot clean up.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I've had that problem happen a few times. I tried everything to remove the stains which seemed to penetrate the clear coat, and nothing worked.

The SUN seems to bleach out the stain eventually. I didn't think it was possible, but the stain eventually just disappeared by itself after several weeks. This has happened a few times. So, the solution seems to be: do nothing and it will fix itself.
This exact thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, only the stain was sun bleached away in a matter of hours. It does get pretty hot around here, and it was parked outside all day.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:38 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Probably won't help, but worth a shot.

Try a bit of distilled white vinegar on a microfiber cloth. This stuff is fantastic for water spots/stains removal, so it might help with bird poop. Note, it will remove any wax you have.

Generally i try to remove bird crap as soon as possible by either running water over it, or a wet towel to let it dissolve. Then spray the area with quick detailer.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo

Try a bit of distilled white vinegar on a microfiber cloth. This stuff is fantastic for water spots/stains removal, so it might help with bird poop. Note, it will remove any wax you have.

Generally i try to remove bird crap as soon as possible by either running water over it, or a wet towel to let it dissolve. Then spray the area with quick detailer.
Oh Jsolo thanks for the waterspot tip. I got a ton of water spots on my hood and have been wondering how to get rid of them.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Tell me about it. I start washing the car and it's overcast/cloudy. Get halfway done and the sun comes out. Tried my best to hurry it up and avoid them. By the time I was done, a good portion of the glass, hood, and most of the left side had some very light stains. Fortunately the car is gunmetal, so it's hard to see unless you look real close. The car is still relatively new, so quite bothered by it.

After a bit of googling, found some posts of people having good luck mixing 1 part distilled water to 1 part distilled white vinegar. Had no distilled water on hand, so tried a bit of vinegar on a tower to see what effect it would have on the chrome spoiler. It removed them effortlessly.

When I do the rest of the car, the above mixture will go in a spray bottle to do a section at a time. The trick is to wipe off the solution before it dries. Once done, rewax or seal the car.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:13 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Good call, I will give it a shot
Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
blackhawksfan81

Tell me about it. I start washing the car and it's overcast/cloudy. Get halfway done and the sun comes out. Tried my best to hurry it up and avoid them. By the time I was done, a good portion of the glass, hood, and most of the left side had some very light stains. Fortunately the car is gunmetal, so it's hard to see unless you look real close. The car is still relatively new, so quite bothered by it.

After a bit of googling, found some posts of people having good luck mixing 1 part distilled water to 1 part distilled white vinegar. Had no distilled water on hand, so tried a bit of vinegar on a tower to see what effect it would have on the chrome spoiler. It removed them effortlessly.

When I do the rest of the car, the above mixture will go in a spray bottle to do a section at a time. The trick is to wipe off the solution before it dries. Once done, rewax or seal the car.
Try Optimum No Rinse. You can wash and dry one section at a time (no hose required) so no chance of water spots.

I use it here in Chicago about once a week. Takes 20 minutes and 2 gallons of water to wash and dry the entire car.

Good tip on the vinegar for water spots (ie after a rain). I'll have to remember that.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM
lippstuh

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Bird **** will eat away your paint. Always walk around and if you see it, use meguiars QD and a microfiber and wipe it off immediately. If there's a spot, its because it already started to eat away at your clear coat.

Solution would be to use a polish compound (use a REAL polish, not a gimmick products that are 2-in-1 that you buy at autotrader) and polish it out. Polish is essentially removing thin layer of clear coat to even out the "crater" that the bird **** created.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
91ZCpe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lippstuh
Bird **** will eat away your paint. Always walk around and if you see it, use meguiars QD and a microfiber and wipe it off immediately. If there's a spot, its because it already started to eat away at your clear coat.

Solution would be to use a polish compound (use a REAL polish, not a gimmick products that are 2-in-1 that you buy at autotrader) and polish it out. Polish is essentially removing thin layer of clear coat to even out the "crater" that the bird **** created.
I thought I read in the detailing section here that you shouldn't use QD to remove bird crap. It will cause it to rub into the paint more.

Alcohol and water or vinegar and water seemed the be the best solutions I read. I will edit this post once I find where I read this on here.

Quick Reply: Bird poop stain - What would be the solution?