G37 Sedan

7sp A/T flush, Brake flush, alignment, cabin air filter UPSELL

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 PM
B74heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 7sp A/T flush, Brake flush, alignment, cabin air filter UPSELL

So, I am going out on a trip and decide to have my oil changed in my 2010 G-37 Journey with 36,451 miles on the clock. I have owned the car since it was brand new. As soon as the oil change is done the Service writer comes out and says we recommend having the 7sp Automatic transmission fluid changed at 30,000 miles ($330) as well as a brake fluid flush ($168) and oh by the way you need to have your cabin air filter changed as well. Sir, have you had your car alignment checked yet? I was born at night but not last night. I told him I have replaced the cabin air filter myself the car is tracking straight as an arrow and the tires are wearing evenly so scratch that off your list. Now I am an avid reader and have memorized the maintenance schedule for my baby. I also have current maintenance info on my Ipad in my hot little hands. So I point to the various milage maintenance requirements and no where does it say that the A/T fluid needs to be changed at all. Also no where in the manual does it say that the brake fluid needs to be flushed. I'm no fool I know the brake fluid needs to be changed but I don't think it needs it in 36000 miles. I am sure the transmission doesn't need it this soon either. Anyone have advice on when to change the Brake fluid in my car? I am left completely in the dark by infinity since the maintenance schedule does not mention it at all. For fun I called the two other infinity dealers in my state and got very different answers when I asked at what milage this all needs to be done. One dealer said that the brake service needs to be done after 4 to 5 years but the A/T needs a flush right now at 36000 miles. She told me that she has a comparison fluid from a transmission that only had 30000 miles on it and the new fluid to show me how bad the fluid is. I guess she did not read the TSB on transmission fluid and how it turns dark after a few thousand miles but this quality does not affect the lubricating qualities of the oil. The other dealer told me they were trying to rip me off and that stuff does not need to be done until later like 60000 miles. Right now my Brake fluid looks as yellow as the day I bought the car. I just had a brake job done a week ago and they did not mention it then. By the way the new brakes are awesome so I am a little afraid to have them do anything at this point.

So anyone have any ideas on when to change the A/T Oil and Brake fluid?
TSB on the darkening A/T fluid with pictures is number TSB number ITB11-036
Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 PM
IMTASE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake fluid should be done every 2 years /24k miles since it is hygroscopic. A brake flush is part of routine maintenance for many highline mfrs such as Porsche and Mercedes.
In regards to the transmission fluid, Infiniti does not specify a maintenance interval. I don't understand how that is possible given the transmission is subjected to more stress especially on city driven vehicles. I've had the flush performed on my vehicles around every 30k miles. I feel it is a maintenance item just as an oil change.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^There are already threads about this.

Bottom line, if you plan on keeping the car as long as possible, have the fluids changed as recommended. If you plan on turning it in when it's less than 5 or 6 yrs old, then do the bare minimum maintenance required.

I'm surprised they didn't tell you to change the differential oil too.

I plan on keeping my car a long time. Items like the brake, trans (6mt), and rear end oil and clutch fluid are very easy to do. Plan on doing those every 2 years or ~30K miles. Probably do the coolant at 30K miles.

As for a 7AT, assuming the dealer has the right equipment to thoroughly flush the fluid, I would have them do it. Anyone can do a drain and fill, but that's not really a thorough replenishment of the entire fluid volume.

Cabin air, just buy it on amazon and do it yourself.

Edit: The recommended services in the owners manual will keep the car running within the warranty period. By not doing these other services, you may have issues down the line.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Rickblkg

The only thing I really see you doing is the dif oil and transmission oil at 30xxx miles! Brakes you can do every 60k.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Riley
Registered Member

I'd be careful doing a transmission flush... this can actually cause damage to an auto if done under high pressure.

Should be a fluid exchange... and low pressure...
I also think doing this at 30K is nuts... maybe 60K or so.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Phil

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Agreed with everything said above, especially about bleeding the brake fluid. In regards to the transmission fluid change, I had it done on my '07 at like 48k since I bought the car used and it felt like it was slamming gears. $330 is a ridiculous price, though. My local Infiniti dealer did it for around $125.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:45 PM
maxfinity

The manual clearly states as part of the premium maintenance schedule to flush transmission fluid at 30k, 60k, 90k, and 120K Except models with 7-speed automatic transmission and the M35/EX35 with 5-speed automatic transmission.

Flushing the transmission in my last car caused more problems than it fixed. I'm Skeptical about getting that service done. However I have 44k miles on the clock and i have flushed the brake fluid, differential fluid, and coolant. Flushing the brake fluid is a must. I didnt even notice i had lost so much stopping power until i had it done. I also had my throttle bodies and my fuel injectors cleaned which i feel was a waste of money because I didnt see any difference.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My brake flush was about $22 -16 for the bleeder and $6 for brake fluid. Diff fluid was more expensive for the Motul.

Only 10k miles, but I liketo play....
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
For mine...

$35 for the diff fluid but I went with amsoil.

Brake fluid was like $50, but again went with amsoil....and another $45 for the power bleeder.

Just changed out my cabin filter. $20 for the activated charcoal ans 15 minutes of my time.

DIY it...you'll save tons and get better quality ingredients.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM
B74heavy

I have flushed my brake fluid and it needed to be done. Even though I only had 37700 on the clock I did notice a decrease in required pedal pressure to stop. It is like my brakes are brand new. I had a brake job done at 36900 but forgot to tell them to bleed the brakes at that time. Man it stops like it has glue on the tires now. I am not going to do the transmission flush as I found a TSB for 7sp auto that says the fluid (Nissan Matic S ATF) becomes darker then new fluid after 2000 to 3000 miles and is completely normal. It doesn't need to be changed because of the darkening. The fluid's lubrication properties and quality are not diminished because of the darkening. I also found a TSB on the new Blue Nissan LONG LIFE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT. If you have this color fluid (blue) installed at the factory the service life is 7 years/ 105,000 miles then when you replace it with more blue long life coolant then it is 5 years/ 75,000 miles. I am not really sure why it is a shorter time after you replace it. Seems weird to me but there must be a reason.

BTY
TSB numbers ITB11-036 June 16, 2011 for the atf fluid
ITB09-029a for the coolant May 14,2010
Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 AM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Well first on the brake fluid flush. Definitely do it at least every two years or sooner. As it has been stated before, the fluid is hygroscopic and since the master cylinder is vented to the atmosphere it will absorb moisture which lowers the boiling point and also will eventually cause corrosion on all those wonderful aluminum parts and steel brake lines. I do it every year since I have all the tools and I use Motul RFB 600 fluid which has a higher boiling point since I track the car every so often. It's cheap to do and if practiced regularly and/or often you should almost eliminate the need to repair your brake parts, seals, calipers, master cylinder and the like since fresh fluid has little to no moisture in it to cause damage to them. By the way, standard DOT 4 brake fluid is almost clear like water when new. Old DOT 4 fluid is yellow in color, like pee, which means it has water in it. Higher quality fluids like Motul are a different color (almost honey in color) and some are even blue.

The maintenance period for the 7-speed according to the manual is "lifetime" maintenance free. Don't believe it. Heat will destroy any oil, and tranny fluid is an oil which will eventually break down due to it and possible abuse. I know from previous experience with a Volvo auto tranny. which also had a "lifetime" maintenance free schedule and if you didn't flush that tranny by 80,000 miles, you could almost guarantee that you would be buying a new one at 80,001 miles. The amount of damage from fluid degradation was that bad. So I always did it at 40,000 miles. They also have poorly made auto trannys. in my opinion. I also changed out all the fluid in my manual AWD Audi at 40,000 miles again because heat eventually degrades oil's ability to provide the lubrication it was designed for along with time.

Since I just asked my Infiniti dealers mechanics about this very thing, they recommend the 40K mileage point. These are the mechanics who told me this and not the service writer who also makes a commission on any upgrade service he promotes. They may deny it but they do. The equipment used has two tanks, one with fresh Nissan brand fluid and the other for the old fluid which is pumped and flushed through the system using the transmissions own pumping system because the car is running at the time it's done. So it's using the pressure that the tranny. creates and flushes all the fluid out including the torque converter not some separate pump on a cart. Also since the transmission is basically sealed, there is a special technique used by Nissan/Infiniti for determining the proper fluid level which is partly controlled by the temperature of the fluid. So make sure this work is done by your Infinity dealer if you can trust them.

Finally it's good that you didn't just take their advice without finding out more from fellow owners and the experiences we've been through. At least now you can make an educated guess about the right thing to do. Best case scenario is that if you do it all, it shouldn't hurt anything on the car. Worst case is they don't do some of it correctly and you have problems and have paid too much for the work done. Both prices sound a little high but like your mileage, that varies from dealer to dealer.

Al
Old 09-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So, I am going out on a trip and decide to have my oil changed in my 2010 G-37 Journey with 36,451 miles on the clock. I have owned the car since it was brand new. As soon as the oil change is done the Service writer comes out and says we recommend having the 7sp Automatic transmission fluid changed at 30,000 miles ($330) as well as a brake fluid flush ($168) and oh by the way you need to have your cabin air filter changed as well. Sir, have you had your car alignment checked yet? I was born at night but not last night. I told him I have replaced the cabin air filter myself the car is tracking straight as an arrow and the tires are wearing evenly so scratch that off your list. Now I am an avid reader and have memorized the maintenance schedule for my baby. I also have current maintenance info on my Ipad in my hot little hands. So I point to the various milage maintenance requirements and no where does it say that the A/T fluid needs to be changed at all. Also no where in the manual does it say that the brake fluid needs to be flushed. I'm no fool I know the brake fluid needs to be changed but I don't think it needs it in 36000 miles.

B74, I just brought my 2010 G37X in at 35K for service and I was told the exact same thing, almost word for word. Infiniti must be pushing Wheel Alignments, Brake Fluid Flushes and Tranny Fluid changes, and Oh yes, Change that Cabin filter....Is it necessary work at this mileage level, probably, but making the same Speech, is funny. They told me the tech noticed the Car Pulling right, I don't feel that and the tires are wearing very evenly. If It Ain't Broker, Don't Fix it....at least with Wheel Alignments. If I get new tires (needed soon), then I would get that done.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:18 PM
strictlys

I work in the automotive industry. Maintenance and alignments is very profitable compare to repairs. The dealers are individually own and have to report to the owner. The quickest profitability is to maintain then to repair. I would do brake jobs all day compare to a timing belt or a water pump.
Brings me back to the point when you have a BMW still under warranty they would not change your oil early or any type of maintenance, but when the warranty is out they state you "Need" to do this and that... drives me crazy.

The dealers are pushing hard on tires now since they understand customer retention.

Oh becareful about alignments too. The 2 shops I worked with before we service BMW and Hyundai's alignment. They would sub it out to us. They would charge the customers 179 for the bmw and 100 for the hyundai.....
Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Best is to educate onself on how/why/when these things should be done and why. Then decide for yourself if a certain maintenance procedure should be done.

I can't comment on 7AT maint as the last AT car I had was 15 yrs ago. Coming from the 2 wheel world, brakes got done annually. Last bike I had with a shaft drive also had it's fluid changed at every oil change (1/5 qt capacity).
Old 09-01-2012, 11:22 PM
gee wiz

I appreciate all the valuable info, even though it varies from post to post. We have 22,000 on our G and we purchased it 2 years ago this month. So far, no maintenance has been done other than the usual oil changes and a recent air filter change. What I've come away with here is that I need to do a brake fluid flush now (every 2 years). I will plan to do an auto trans exchange at 30-40K.

Not real clear on the differential oil change. So should I plan to do it at the same intervals as the auto trans fluid exchange?

Quick Reply: 7sp A/T flush, Brake flush, alignment, cabin air filter UPSELL