G37 Sedan

How does the '11 AWD system REALLY work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
It doesn't lock anything though - there is no mechanical limited slip involved at all. Electronics send a signal to a pump that pressurizes wet clutches in the front transaxle/differential. I think it may have the ability to send UP TO 50% to the front IF maximum conditions are met, but this is realistically not going to happen much. The rear wheels would probably need to have zero traction. If you pulled the ABS or VDC fuse, the G would be RWD only.
You do know the X uses a transfer case, not some multifunctional front differential?

LSD works only when free-spinning is detected. Real 4WD system mechanically lock the differentials. This is why you never drive a locked 4WD vehicles on dry pavements. LSD does not achieve permanent lock.

The transfer case is at the back of the transmission, driven by a multi-row chain, with a wet multi-plate clutch pack inside. It control how much torque sent to the front drive shaft. 50/50 is achieved when the clutch is 100% engaged - locked/non-slippage. This is not a permanent lock either, it reverts to normal power split at certain speed, say 15 mph.

Also, ABS or VDC has nothing to do with how the transfer case operates when snow button is pressed.

Last edited by 00Max00; 08-24-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 AM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 00Max00
You do know the X uses a transfer case, not some multifunctional front differential?

LSD works only when free-spinning is detected. Real 4WD system mechanically lock the differentials. This is why you never drive a locked 4WD vehicles on dry pavements. LSD does not achieve permanent lock.

The transfer case is at the back of the transmission, driven by a multi-row chain, with a wet multi-plate clutch pack inside. It control how much torque sent to the front drive shaft. 50/50 is achieved when the clutch is 100% engaged - locked/non-slippage. This is not a permanent lock either, it reverts to normal power split at certain speed, say 15 mph.

Also, ABS or VDC has nothing to do with how the transfer case operates.
I think you are basically repeating a lot of what I've already tried to say. You're are 100% correct that there is actually no real differential - which is why there is no real lock at all. Yes, when the electronics sense spin it will activate the pump to engage the clutches for the front driveshaft, but it has no way of mechanically sending 50% power. This is the point I'm trying to get across, it will try but under most conditions will fail to send anything close to that much. The G's AWD system is essentially Haldex in the fact it's eletronic based. If ABS or VDC is not functioning, the fronts will not work at all as there is nothing to tell the clutches to engage and they will release. The only thing guaranteed to work is the rear wheels.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you are basically repeating a lot of what I've already tried to say. You're are 100% correct that there is actually no real differential - which is why there is no real lock at all. Yes, when the electronics sense spin it will activate the pump to engage the clutches for the front driveshaft, but it has no way of mechanically sending 50% power. This is the point I'm trying to get across, it will try but under most conditions will fail to send anything close to that much. The G's AWD system is essentially Haldex in the fact it's eletronic based. If ABS or VDC is not functioning, the fronts will not work at all as there is nothing to tell the clutches to engage and they will release. The only thing guaranteed to work is the rear wheels.
Infiniti can program it to send torque anywhere between 0-50% to the front wheels if they like, by pressing the snow button. 0% is when no clutch engagement in the transfer case like in normal conditions, 50% is when clutch engages 100%. Yes, the ABS does its thing to detect rear wheels spin and signals the clutch to engage.

Well, I guess we are a bit digressed here. The point of the thread was about whether the X is in AWD mode when snow button is activated. I believe it is a yes.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:33 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So NO, in the snow, it's not as good as Quattro or Subaru's permanent split that have real locking differentials.
FYI - the new WRX's (i think from 2010 onward) have a open rear diff. The STi retains the user controlled locking rear diff.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Infiniti can program it to send torque anywhere between 0-50% to the front wheels if they like, by pressing the snow button. 0% is when no clutch engagement in the transfer case like in normal conditions, 50% is when clutch engages 100%. Yes, the ABS does its thing to detect rear wheels spin and signals the clutch to engage.

Well, I guess we are a bit digressed here. The point of the thread was about whether the X is in AWD mode when snow button is activated. I believe it is a yes.
If it was, it would be in the user manual. See post from g37sam.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:26 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And that would be an incorrect belief. The FSM has previously been quoted here numerous times and has conclusively cleared up what the snow button does: simply reduce throttle input sensitivity and change shift points.

As an X owner who has experienced the g's dynamics on the snow I can say this info from the factory is also supported by the feel of the g on snow/ice when in snow mode.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:23 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
I've been told one story by the salesman, another 2 by service advisors.

1. It's full-time 60/40, R/F. (service)
2. 100% rear until a certain (unknown) slippage on the rears occurs. (service)
3. 100% full-time 50/50 R/F. (salesman)

I'm thinking #2 makes more sense, what say ye?
Problem Solved