G37 Sedan

Would you trade G37x for Maxima w/Sport Pkg?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 PM
BlueOnyxG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you trade G37x for Maxima w/Sport Pkg?

Ok guys.......i know this is a G37 forum, and i might get flamed for this, but here is my situation. I should mention that i'm in Canada, I've got a 2010 G37x w/Premium pkg. I'm almost 2 years into my 4 year lease. I've always had my eye on the Maxima, and happened to go into the Nissan Dealership on business, and started talking. Here in Ontario, there are some deep discounts to be had. In a nutshell, pontential for saving up to $7k off of sticker. The thought is to trade the G for the Maxima Sport Pkg, and finance it. End result, if my numbers and the dealers numbers are inline, could potentially save about $200-$250 per month. I was planing on buying out my G after the lease anyways, so i would still have a car payment for atleast the next 3-4 years. So starting fresh right now on a 6 or 7 year finance wouldn't be too bad. Now i know that Infiniti is a "premium" brand that gives you a "status". Now as for Cons, i do know that i would be lossing 38hp and the AWD. But value wise, aside from those major components, the Maxima comes equipped with the same features as the G, actually a few more. Same quality, actually better feeling seats, same screen. etc.

So, long story short, Value wise, would any of you ever consider Trading your G for a full blown Maxima?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
In a word, no. From an owner of a G Coupe, a G sedan and an older a Maxima.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
BlueOnyxG

Originally Posted by Black Betty
In a word, no. From an owner of a G Coupe, a G sedan and an older a Maxima.
Thanks for the response, could you elaborate on why you wouldn't? It would help me figure things out.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:57 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
For everyday, real world driving, I doubt anyone would drastically miss the 38 less hp. Being in Canada, I think awd is important. But if you think it's not, then the Maxima would be a good alternative given the savings. Some will argue it's a FWD. But I've driven the new Maxima and it actually handles very well. I even dare say it handles slightly better than my non sport G. Again, are you going to track or race your car? For everyday driving, it's a great car. You can't compare previous Maximas. I had one also and they are nothing like the new ones. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the CVT.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Maxima is FWD, don't you get a lot of snow in Ontario? Seems like the AWD would be very useful. Maxima also has a CVT tranny I believe. G is better quality when you start looking at the small things, slightly nicer materials, more sound deadening, better weight balance.

The Maxima isn't a bad car by any means, but there's a reason the G costs more. It's the same argument you can say about a loaded accord vs a TL. They all appear to be similar, but the platform is completely different and the build quality is higher. It's not a huge difference, just depends on what is important to you.

It's your car though, and from the sounds of your post my advice is to go with the one that best fits your budget. No sense paying too much for a car over 6 or 7 years (make sure you get GAAP insurance or the Canadian equivalent because you'll probably be underwater on the value).
Old 06-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,694 Likes on 3,505 Posts
The 7th gen Maxima (2009+) is a beautiful car, and in some ways it can be more luxurious than the G37. Certainly it's more comfortable, and roomy. And the CVT is actually pretty fun, if you can drink the Kool-Aid of pretending to shift with "shift points" (sic)

As for snow... AWD is overrated 98% of the time. All you need is snow tires. I owned Maximas from 1999 through 2012, with snow tires each year on both cars (1999 SE 5MT and a modified 2003 SE 6MT). They're fine in snow with proper tires.

I say go for it. As long as you're not expecting the same kind of performance, you'll be very content with the Max.

OAN, stop leasing cars and micromanaging monthly payments. You'll be much happier in the long haul. That's my opinion.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOnyxG
Thanks for the response, could you elaborate on why you wouldn't? It would help me figure things out.
Front wheel drive. Automatic transmission (or in this case CVT).
Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
FWD is actually better in the snow than RWD, which may be helpful in Canada.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM
BlueOnyxG

Originally Posted by Rochester
The 7th gen Maxima (2009+) is a beautiful car, and in some ways it can be more luxurious than the G37. Certainly it's more comfortable, and roomy. And the CVT is actually pretty fun, if you can drink the Kool-Aid of pretending to shift with "shift points" (sic)

As for snow... AWD is overrated 98% of the time. All you need is snow tires. I owned Maximas from 1999 through 2012, with snow tires each year on both cars (1999 SE 5MT and a modified 2003 SE 6MT). They're fine in snow with proper tires.

I say go for it. As long as you're not expecting the same kind of performance, you'll be very content with the Max.

OAN, stop leasing cars and micromanaging monthly payments. You'll be much happier in the long haul. That's my opinion.
I agree with you on the tires part. All my other cars have been FWD and have never had an issue in the snow. As for the leasing thing, i leased because i liked to drive new cars every 3-4 years, and also i can write off a portion for my business needs. That was before i got married, and bought a house and all that other grown up stuff. But as i'm getting older, Priorities are changing, looking into starting a family and stuff like that, i am getting sick of car payments. Thus, buying out either the G, or financing a Max. Either way, the cars that i have now, are keepers. Not buying anything for a while, unless i win the lottery of course. As for the CVT, that can be veiwed either way........atleast it's smooth with no Lags or confusion then the 7AT. But i know what your saying......i was never a really big fan of the CVT. I had an Altima Coupe 3.5SE, and actually got pretty used to the CVT.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I test drove an 09 Maxima when I was shopping for the G, but I'm glad I made the choice going to AWD with more power. I previously owned an 05 Altima SE-R and while that was a fun car and handled pretty well for the platform, I wanted something more versatile for all weather conditions and of course more horsepower, since 260 wasn't cutting it anymore. The interior on the Max was decent, Infiniti-like in quality it seemed. Steering feel for a FWD was very nice, felt connected to the road, almost twitchy. I didn't mind the CVT and the nice thing is that it was pretty responsive to keep you in the power band. 290hp isn't low by any means, but 328hp was that much more and the Infiniti just has a different feel to it, RWD-biased AWD gives a performance oriented experience.

Like others have said with snow I would definitely be going with the AWD car. The Infiniti is very capable even with all season tires, but you'd be better off still fitting a set of snow tires - the car has amazing traction and handling when it gets nasty out. FWD is safe and still capable, but at this point I don't think I'll ever go back.

If you're having problems affording the G than I understand and you have to do what is right for you.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
The cvt would be the big thing for me. Kitchener shouldn't get much snow anyways so the awd thing isn't a huge deal. i still rememebet he military coming in for a lil snow in toronto If you are just as happy with the maxima then you are with the g then go for it. Just keep in mind ( a personal thing) not much modding to do with a maxima. They are a good looking car though.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,694 Likes on 3,505 Posts
There's a predisposition to hate on the CVT, and rightly so considering its history. However, the 7th Gen Maxima has the most rewarding implementation of a CVT I've ever experienced.

If other words, if you haven't driven one... do so. Opinions matter more when experienced rather than extrapolated.

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
Just keep in mind ( a personal thing) not much modding to do with a maxima.
LOL. There are a number of people here that will vehemently disagree with that:

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generation-maxima-2009-78/
Old 06-28-2012, 06:06 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
I test drove a '11 maxima, fulled decked out, etc. Sure it was all pretty and had lots of creature comforts and options, but after hitting a few curvy roads, I realized the car was not for me. Way too sloppy handling, give it throttle and the front end lifts. I'm no pro/against CVT, but am against most automatic transmissions.

Suffice to say, few years back, I rented a really nice maxima at ATL and drove it all the way back to ORD, including roads like cherahala skyway, and part of the dragon. At the time I thought the car did exceptionally well.

To the OP, see if you can get the maxima for an over night test drive. Put the car through its paces and decide if it's in alignment with your expectations.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
i had an '08 maxima. i must say that now i have driven my G, it would be hard for me to return to a maxima. BUT, that's not saying the maxima wasn't a good car. i would say it depends on individual situations if someone felt the need to go from the G back to the maxima.

the CVT transmission wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. now, i didn't have any problems with it, so i can't comment on repair costs...but it shifted smoothly and it certainly took some getting used to.

i will say this, i agree with jsolo about the handling cause it feels like you're on an inner tube on a water park slide. compared to the handling of my G...well, there is no comparison. however, my maxima was AWESOME in the snow......and it saw some wicked snow the second year i had it.

Just keep in mind ( a personal thing) not much modding to do with a maxima
ya...that's not exactly accurate.

all in all, i'm glad to have owned one. i can't say i would go back to one because i can't predict the future
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 PM
PENROSE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOnyxG
Ok guys In a nutshell, pontential for saving up to $7k off of sticker. The thought is to trade the G for the Maxima Sport Pkg, and finance it. End result, if my numbers and the dealers numbers are inline, could potentially save about $200-$250 per month.
Thanks.
New Maximas can cost over $40,000. Lets just say the one youre looking at is $37,500. Even after the $7,000 discount yore still over $30,000 for the Maxima. Financing $30,000 for 6 years is over $500 a month car payment.

How the heck are you going to save $250 a month? Are you currently paying $750-$800 a month to LEASE the G? Unless youre putting like $15,000 down payment on the Maxima but in that case youre not "saving" anything.;

Quick Reply: Would you trade G37x for Maxima w/Sport Pkg?