G37 Sedan

Would you trade G37x for Maxima w/Sport Pkg?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:55 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOnyxG
Just to clarify, i'm in Ontario, and yes, the prices are rediculous. I currently pay $740/month on lease for the G. MSRP for the G at the time of leasing was $47,000 + Taxes, freight etc. I also rolled in 3K negative equity from a prevous car (bad decesion on my part as i was caught up in the moment and i really loved the G) Residual after 4 years is $18,500 + taxes. Interest rate at 2.9%. And that was with 0 money down. So yea $740.00/month for 48 months is correct. We get screwed with Vehicle prices. So the Maxima i am looking at is with Sport Pkg. Canadian MSRP including Freight is $42,084. Less $7,000 would be $35,084 + tax. Taxes included would be $39,644. Over 84 months, with 3.9% interest monthly payment would be $540.00

Thinking about it a little more, i do love the G, and instead of starting fresh with a new car payment for that long, i'll just keep the G. It's not that i can't afford the car like someone else said, it's just keeping options open. It was just a thought i had after seing and driving the Maxima. Like i said, i love the Maxima, and would consider buying it. It's just the question if i could give up the G. That's the big question, if i could save money and give up the G, would i be happy? Probably not at this point.....i love the G.

But thanks for all the input and advise.
Ideally, I wouldn't trade my G for a Maxima either. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't. The Maxima is a nice car. My friend has a 2010 Maxima Sport and it's a nice car to drive.
As far as what you're paying for the G goes, you obviously have come to terms with the fact you're paying to much. I pay much much less/mo for my 6MT with Nav and didn't pay anything at the time of lease.

If I wanted to get out of a lease like yours I would release it on leasebusters with a $3000 cash incentive. That would make the takeover persons effective payment over 24mo a fairly competitive $610.
Then, since you really prefer the G, buy a used 2010 G37 for about $26500. I think you could buy one for ~$565/mo over 60mo including HST and Interest.
Good luck.

BTW - Join us for RIBFEST in July if you can make it. It's a good time.
►MEET◄ Meat Meet #4 - July 21st
Old 06-30-2012, 03:47 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
What about the 2013 Altima V6? If you can get a VPP hookup, you could get a killer deal on a great car that has lots of gadgets.

I'd still choose the G though. Just personal preference.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:13 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
The things that you say the g is lacking will be in the next gen. G just wasnt due for a remodel yet. You'll see
Old 10-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Celidor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize the OP has made a decision but I thought I'd put in my two cents for other people looking at these two cars, seeing as I was looking at both the G and Maxima when looking to buy. In the end I decided on the Maxima. I like the bold agressive look of the Maxima more although the G has a nicer rear end.
The Maxima's FWD is not as fun to drive as RWD but it is more forgiving in slippery conditions. No AWD option on the Max. But the Max gets better fuel economy than the G. Even moreso than the EPA estimates will lead you to believe. CVT is smooth, no gear changes and part of why it gets good fuel economy. Both have nice interiors. The G is a little better. But the Maxima has more gadgets. And I got all of them on mine.
In the end what made the Maxima win out for me was the better fuel economy, more features, the look. And the fact it was a Nissan. As I wasn't too keen on a higher end name like Infiniti.

My main problem with both cars is lack of a handbrake. The only one with a handbrake is the most expensive G37 which comes with a manual transmission and handbrake but I was looking for an Automatic. And CVT is one of the best options for automatic transmisions

For $23k with 96k kilometers on the odometer I got a 2009 Maxima in Black with:
Panoramic Sunroof
Navigation
Heated steering wheel
Paddle shifters
2 levels Heated front passenger seat
3 level of Heat and 3 levels of Cool driver seat
electric rear window sunshade
rear seat media/AC controls
HID headlights
foldable mirrors
and driver and passenger side handle push button lock/unlock

And those are just the extra features. Not including standard features like leather interior, push-button start, auto up/down on all windows, speech recognition, driver seat electronic lumbar support, driver seat thigh support and steering wheel media controls.

The Max is feature rich. Maybe the next Gen G model will have even more features than this.

I wish I had the 2012 Max with adaptive headlights though. very cool.

The new 3.5L 2013 Altima is a good choice if you are looking for better fuel economy than the G or Max can offer. But the Altima doesn't have the presence in appearance or sheer mass as the G and Max does. And the interior is not as good.

I love my Max. It's a bit of a jack of all trades but to me I look at it as a Japanese Muscle or Pony car. Although it also has traits of a Luxury Sports Sedan. And I am damn proud that it beats the 3.6L camaro to 60. And nearly matches the Dodge Challenger R/T. While burning way less gas when you don't want to.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,708 Likes on 3,516 Posts
Yes. Handbrake, HP, 6MT and RWD, FTW.

(But the max is still a beautiful, luxurious car.)

Last edited by Rochester; 10-19-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Celidor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mind FWD and an Auto Tranny. It actually works well for my needs. It's the lack of handbrake that makes no sense to me at all.
Auto is easier in stop and go and is more fuel efficient. FWD is more forgiving for a daily driver. But what the heck do you get out of having a foot pedal emergency brake over a handbrake??? All I see is control taken away from the driver with nothing given in return.

If I was going Infiniti I would rather go for the G's meaner older brother the M.
The G's front end just isn't mean enough IMO.

If I had the money, M35h. And I'm sure I could beat the pants off the EPAs estimates for it easily.

It is sad that people get so biased about their car. If one car was the best at everything than we'd all drive the same car.

There are so many factors to take in when purchasing your vehicle that you will always be making compromises somewhere when you choose one car. If it wasn't for the way insurance has become I bet more people would have multiple cars and you wouldn't have people driving their huge SUVs everywhere they go.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd only consider this if I need something bigger and a bit cheaper. But then I'd prob get a Subaru legacy 3.6R or 2.5T before a Maxima. That said, subaru's interior is quite spartan.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others have said, Maxima is front wheel drive. I dislike any car which is only FWD. Traditionalist? Maybe. But one who enjoys the feel of the roads, capability of the car and better cornering would not give up RWD for FWD. At least, I would not. But, where I live and drive, no need to worry about driving in snow and ice.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by G37CPA
As others have said, Maxima is front wheel drive. I dislike any car which is only FWD. Traditionalist? Maybe. But one who enjoys the feel of the roads, capability of the car and better cornering would not give up RWD for FWD. At least, I would not. But, where I live and drive, no need to worry about driving in snow and ice.
Ditto for me^, also not a CVT fan.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Hmm... since you quoted him, I'd have to agree with G37CPA. I've come full-circle back to RWD performance over the last 20 years, and have no interest in going back.

And now the Earth will crack open and destroy us all. Nice. Thanks, Newt.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Celidor

It is sad that people get so biased about their car.
Just reading your quotes you're pretty biased as well about your car. I am glad you are happy with it but when you come here and put down the G, expect a response.

Last edited by Tazicon; 10-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
No way~~ even a bare bone G is more sporty than a Maxima with whatever packages or add-ons. Yes, I have owned 2 Maximas.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 00Max00
No way~~ even a bare bone G is more sporty than a Maxima with whatever packages or add-ons. Yes, I have owned 2 Maximas.
So have I... two Maximas, that is. And I've driven 6 of the 7 generations of the Nissan Maxima since 1982. I know the Maxima very well, and the only model that is comparable to today's G is the 3rd Gen. But even that was FWD, and you knew it. Badly.

The G-Sedan has a far more sport-oriented platform than the Maxima. It just does. To think otherwise is delusional, like how lowering tax rates stimulate the economy, or that global warming is a hoax. You know, when you make up your own reality to suit your predispositions.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire0nIc3
While the G is an Infiniti, the Maxima wins over the G in interior build quality. I don't know where you guys been but the build quality in the Maxima is superior sadly. The G has more hard plastic and less creature comforts. The leather even feels better, the doors are more padded, just everything is nice. The Maxima also rides better than the G. For some reason the harsh suspension in the G rides like a truck. The Maxima is softer but it gives up handling in that sense.
Huh? Are you sure you are comparing to a '11+ G37? Ignore my comment if you were comparing to a '08 G35, I admit it was pretty crappy.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
You guy forgot about one thing. The Max is built in the US. The G and all infinities are built in Japan: that right there is why I would never buy another Max. I had a 2002 6mt. That was the last Gen Max that was being built in japan. Also my 1998 I put over 160k miles on.. no issues. Also built in japan.