G37 Sedan

Would you trade G37x for Maxima w/Sport Pkg?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Of course any advice you get here will be biased, but this thread made me google it and I came across a thread on a Maxima forum. Of course over there it was biased also, but to a much higher degree.

It actually surprised me as I thought we would be more biased. One person over there went as far to say that the G37 should be compared to the Altima. I found it a funny and entertaining read. Infiniti G37 Sport VS Maxima 2011 prices - Maxima Forums Sorry Mods if you dont allow links to other forums.

To the OP: I like the Maxima a lot, but there is no way I'd ever give up my G for one. I prefer the G in just about every regard. Exterior, interior, performance...
Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,708 Likes on 3,516 Posts
Originally Posted by Redpit
Of course any advice you get here will be biased, but this thread made me google it and I came across a thread on a Maxima forum. Of course over there it was biased also, but to a much higher degree.

It actually surprised me as I thought we would be more biased. One person over there went as far to say that the G37 should be compared to the Altima. I found it a funny and entertaining read. Infiniti G37 Sport VS Maxima 2011 prices - Maxima Forums
LOL! I remember that one. I've got 13 posts in that thread.

It's a small interweb.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
LOL! I remember that one. I've got 13 posts in that thread.

It's a small interweb.
Other than the fact the Altima is a fwd cvt compared to the Gs' FM platform RWD; they both have a steering wheel, brakes and accelerator pedal. Right?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
BlueOnyxG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PENROSE
New Maximas can cost over $40,000. Lets just say the one youre looking at is $37,500. Even after the $7,000 discount yore still over $30,000 for the Maxima. Financing $30,000 for 6 years is over $500 a month car payment.

How the heck are you going to save $250 a month? Are you currently paying $750-$800 a month to LEASE the G? Unless youre putting like $15,000 down payment on the Maxima but in that case youre not "saving" anything.;
Just to clarify, i'm in Ontario, and yes, the prices are rediculous. I currently pay $740/month on lease for the G. MSRP for the G at the time of leasing was $47,000 + Taxes, freight etc. I also rolled in 3K negative equity from a prevous car (bad decesion on my part as i was caught up in the moment and i really loved the G) Residual after 4 years is $18,500 + taxes. Interest rate at 2.9%. And that was with 0 money down. So yea $740.00/month for 48 months is correct. We get screwed with Vehicle prices. So the Maxima i am looking at is with Sport Pkg. Canadian MSRP including Freight is $42,084. Less $7,000 would be $35,084 + tax. Taxes included would be $39,644. Over 84 months, with 3.9% interest monthly payment would be $540.00

Thinking about it a little more, i do love the G, and instead of starting fresh with a new car payment for that long, i'll just keep the G. It's not that i can't afford the car like someone else said, it's just keeping options open. It was just a thought i had after seing and driving the Maxima. Like i said, i love the Maxima, and would consider buying it. It's just the question if i could give up the G. That's the big question, if i could save money and give up the G, would i be happy? Probably not at this point.....i love the G.

But thanks for all the input and advise.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:03 PM
hez

my opinion just stick with G, i have a 07 maxima and know a lot of people who have the new maxima. they are fun to drive but again you will loose AWD. Never had a problem in snow yet. G's r 3.7 while max 3.5. if i were to get new car it would be a G. u can mod the max and it will sexy, but idk something about the G. when they are moded they look reallyyyy sexyyyy!!!. max is little cheaper but im sure the MAX owners are looking to upgrade their ride to G lol p.s G has the best sounding exhaust (ARK). stick with the G
Old 06-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Fire0nIc3

If your wanting a more luxurious interior and more features get the Maxima.

While the G is an Infiniti, the Maxima wins over the G in interior build quality. I don't know where you guys been but the build quality in the Maxima is superior sadly. The G has more hard plastic and less creature comforts. The leather even feels better, the doors are more padded, just everything is nice. The Maxima also rides better than the G. For some reason the harsh suspension in the G rides like a truck. The Maxima is softer but it gives up handling in that sense.

The Maxima also has panoramic roof, heated steering, power rear sunshade, cooled driver seat, etc etc. It's so sad the G costs like $10K more and doesn't even have those features.

One thing the G will win over though is the better chassis, transmission, AWD, engine, drivetrain, etc. And at the end of the day the G is an Infiniti and the Maxima is a Nissan. I know their all the same company but you know what I mean.....But it's yours call.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 AM
gooddeal

Originally Posted by Fire0nIc3
"More features" for the same money = yes

"More luxurious"? ...not imo. I agree w/ most people here that the current Maxima is a big upgrade from the previous gen but it's still far below the G. It uses too much "soft" plastic rather than the pad vinyl/leather in the G.

BTW, I cannot believe the new Altima has more advanced technologies than the G especially the individual tire pressure monitor and the advanced drive-assist display. They should incorporate those w/ the G first when they refreshed the G interior 2 years ago.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fire0nIc3
More luxurious? Absolutely. Good post, FireOnIc3. The current Maxima is a huge upgrade from the 6th gen, and when fully loaded it's clearly a step above the G37 in luxury, comfort and materials.

IMO, the only reason you buy a G37 is if you get the RWD-only Journey model with the Sport Package, or the 6MT. Configured this way, you get a car that the Maxima can't compare to well. Otherwise you're just buying an entry-level, smallish luxury sedan... at which point, you're better off with the Max.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:10 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
IMO, the only reason you buy a G37 is if you get the RWD-only Journey model with the Sport Package, or the 6MT. Configured this way, you get a car that the Maxima can't compare to well. Otherwise you're just buying an entry-level, smallish luxury sedan... at which point, you're better off with the Max.
Any G (except the G25), not just the RWD sport, will have a more performance oriented drive, that alone makes the G an easy choice for a lot of buyers (me included). I will agree the Max can be trimmed out to be a more luxurious car but you still can't click enough options to out perform any current G. Both are very nice cars but appeal to two different groups IMO w/ a few cross-shopping both.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:08 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove a Maxima loaner when my G37 was having some body work (some butthead backed into my parked car).

I didn't notice much torque steer from the FWD, and the CVT was an able and willing partner in fun. I can see the allure of that car. It has a bigger trunk. It's about 3 inches longer and 3 inches wider. It was also noisier.

I just priced a 2012 Maxima on TrueCar with the same specs/options as my G37. The TrueCar Maxima price is $1800 cheaper than a 2012 G37 with similar options.

For me, the G37 is worth the extra money. It handles better and is more fun to drive.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I was wanting a Maxima for the longest time. Just liked them.

Then they changed the body style to that horrid piece of crap with the sun roof that ran the length of the car... and it turned me off.

But the desire to own one of them led me to the G35 in '04, so it wasn't all bad. I like the new look, but not a fan of the FWD and the CVT (a friend has an Altima with the CVT that I have driven... no bueno, IMO).
Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
The Max is a good looking car - and (around here) seems to be more rare.

For me - the more balanced FM chassis wins over the Max (D?) platform. I know they have done wonders with it - and I admit I have not driven a current gen Max. The price difference was minimal when I was shopping - in fact, the lease deal on the G was incredible last Dec. I leased 2 G37's for less than what you are paying for one! The Max did not have the incentives - and the lease deal was more than the G....go figure. It was an easy decision for me!

Anyway....the choice is a personal preference. I see that you decided to keep the G - good for you. Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:35 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
More luxurious? Absolutely. Good post, FireOnIc3. The current Maxima is a huge upgrade from the 6th gen, and when fully loaded it's clearly a step above the G37 in luxury, comfort and materials.

The es350 also has a more luxurious interior than the G. However the G is a sports sedan while the Max and ES are comfortable cruisers.

I'm not sure what the definition of more luxurious is, but the G with the accents looks better than any Max interior I've seen. If you want to make a list of "features" and compare them, I'm sure the list would at least be even with the Max having some "features" the G doesn't and the G having some "features" the Max doesn't.

For example: heating steering wheel: Max 1; G 0. 3.7L engine: Max 0; G 1.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by g37guy01
I'm not sure what the definition of more luxurious is...
It's subjective, which means as a convincing definition, it's based on argumentative finesse or pure force of opinion. The Maxima feels more luxurious to me, while at the same time feeling a little crude. At the same time.

blah blah blah

This conversation has appeared countless times on the Org. Kind of weird seeing it here. Still equally fun, though.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:48 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with you on comfort since it's a little bigger, but luxury and materials I have to give it to the G. A non sport G will ride just as good, if not better and the materials are a step above the maximas. All in all, the G will keep its value better and probably last longer (no cvt and Japanese built).

I would say keep the G, its a better car unless you want more rear leg room.

Quick Reply: Would you trade G37x for Maxima w/Sport Pkg?