G37 Sedan

Best axleback...Tanabe, Megan, Ebay, or other?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 AM
PENROSE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best axleback...Tanabe, Megan, Ebay, or other?

I just got my G37x sedan a few days ago and I need some sound. I have decided that I am going to just start of with an axleback for now. Down the road, I will probably add intakes and some HFC's.

I understand that many think axlebacks are a waste of money, and they are only for sound, etc. Well, for right now, sound is all I am looking for. The car already has a lot of power, and a full catback doesn't add much more so......

Anyway...I like the sound and quality looks of the Tanabe. Then there is Megan too. And some swear by the Ebay/Amazon ones (Top Speed..M2).

Just wondering if others have any physical/audible/visual comparisons between the generics and the name brand axlebacks, and if in this case it's a case of "You get what you pay for".......or that generic is the way to go if it's an axle back

Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I had Tanabe and you can count me in the "you get what you pay for" camp in this instance. The Tanabe is great. It's fairly expensive for an axle back. Many will say that the knockoffs are just as good so it's up to you to decide how you want to mod your car.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:15 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I have no comparison, but I can say I love my Tanabe. Looks, sound, and quality is great.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Freshness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like how the eBay ones sound but that doesn't make them the right choice. I'd say tanabes would be the safe bet.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
PENROSE

I ordered the Tanabe. Should be here tomorrow. Hope that I can install it by just backing the car up on some ramps. I don't have access to a lift.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:33 PM
sniper27

install is not hard. i just paid a muffler shop to do it because I'm lazy. Besides, he only charged $25 so it was worth it. With a lift, he had it installed in 15 minutes.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I installed the Tanabes on my buddy's sedan and it only took like half an hour. Install was a breeze. Note that you won't notice too much of a change in sound (at least we didn't) unless you're going WOT. Add HFCs and it should get to what you're looking for.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:03 PM
PENROSE

Originally Posted by OB G
. Note that you won't notice too much of a change in sound (at least we didn't) unless you're going WOT.

No change in sound would be disappointing. I would hate to think I just spent all that money for nothing.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by PENROSE
No change in sound would be disappointing. I would hate to think I just spent all that money for nothing.
It looks nice too
Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
sniper27

there will be some change in sound. little louder and throatier. it won't sound like a loud fart can from a civic, if that is what you're looking for.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM
PENROSE

Originally Posted by sniper27
. it won't sound like a loud fart can from a civic, if that is what you're looking for.
No, that's definitely not what I am looking for. Just a little more growl with a deeper tone.....kinda like the coupes have.

I eventually would like to add intakes and HFCs. What is the best bang for your buck intake? I see a lot are using the R2C? Also....what HFC would you recommend to pair up with the Tanabe. I am not looking for a ricer raspy sound. Like I said i am looking for a deeper louder growl

Thanks for helping a newb
Old 06-08-2012, 07:57 AM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
A lot of folks go with Berks HFCS but some get rasp some don't. If you don't want worry about rasp at all get Fast Intentions RHFCs.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am very happy with my ebay one, was about $200 delivered.
Here's the video/audio I took the day after I installed it.
This is foot on the floor accelerating past camera 0~xxx. (see if you can guess xxx based on gear hehe.)
There is a bit of drone on highway, not too bad.
It is very MEAN and LOUD in the city!!!
Love the sound reflecting off the buildings.
I will add a photo when it's light out.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:22 AM
PENROSE

Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I am very happy with my ebay one, was about $200 delivered.
Here's the video/audio I took the day after I installed it.
This is foot on the floor accelerating past camera 0~xxx. (see if you can guess xxx based on gear hehe.)
There is a bit of drone on highway, not too bad.
It is very MEAN and LOUD in the city!!!
Love the sound reflecting off the buildings.
I will add a photo when it's light out.
Infiniti G37 Exhaust mufflers from ebay axle back fly-by past camera - YouTube
Sounds good! Too bad I already got the Tanabe today.

Is this the Top Speed? I'm guessing this is the louder (non resonated) one?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:58 PM
t-hak
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PENROSE
No, that's definitely not what I am looking for. Just a little more growl with a deeper tone.....kinda like the coupes have.

I eventually would like to add intakes and HFCs. What is the best bang for your buck intake? I see a lot are using the R2C? Also....what HFC would you recommend to pair up with the Tanabe. I am not looking for a ricer raspy sound. Like I said i am looking for a deeper louder growl

Thanks for helping a newb
I just put an R2C intake on my '08 this morning. I can't say there's any power difference, but it sure sounds throatier starting at about 1/4 throttle and up, compared to the stock plastic plumbing.

Edit: Oh yeah, I got mine through one of the sellers on this site. Saved a few clams. Worth checking into.

Last edited by t-hak; 06-13-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Best axleback...Tanabe, Megan, Ebay, or other?