G37 Sedan

Buying used G37, need tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
I heard the same statement on about every new cars made in the last few years, MB, BMW, you name it. The thing is that if you want to point fingers, blame it on EPA.
I started experiencing fragile paint in 1990, and ever since then every new car I've owned has had some issues with chipping. Some worse than others, but none have been as durable as paints used to be in the 60's and 70's.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gazoo
Kind of a maybe stupid question: There shouldn't be any reason the mfg warranty isn't honored, right? I'm looking at 2009 18,000mile G37 Journey with moonroof. I believe it has a 4yr/60,000 basic and 6yr/70,000 drivetrain. Carfax says no crash, 1 commercial owner.

I'm also having a third party inspection place off the Internet go do an inspection for about $120ish. I was looking at inspectmyride.com but if you guys have another suggestion I'm all ears.
The warranty should carry over to the next owner.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 AM
TinsleyC

Another weird question - what's the difference between a sunroof and moonroof?
As far as these cars go, nothing. You either get a mechanically operated hole in the roof, or you don't.

BTW, I have a 2009 sedan Journey with 29k miles on it, and love it.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 AM
rcebowl
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcebowl
Here a couple of notes I wish I thought about before I got my 2009 G37 auto sedan.
in no order just as I think of them.

1) 7at shifting issues (although i haven't had the problem)
2) cup holder breaks easily (dealership replaced it without issues)
3) g37 doesn't come standard with auto dimming rear mirror (WTF?!)
4) 2010 is the re-design if you could afford both I would get the 2010 for the new front end
5) the bose system is crap
6) personally i wish i waited for a 6-speed

That's a quick 30 sec list if i think of more i'll update.
Sorry I fixed my sentence. Maybe it was my fault to think a luxury car would come standard with auto dimming mirrors no matter trim. It's interesting to have keyless car (or whatever you want to call it) but have auto dim as a trim. But hey that's just me.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:37 PM
gazoo

I got the dealer to send me the door jamb VIN/options tag on it. Can I tell what kind of options it has from that? I'm actually going to go drive it Saturday, but it's 100miles away so I can't go right now.

I'll tell you what I can see from the pics:

Sunroof/Moonroof (clear window type)
Memory bucket seat control on door (set,1,2 buttons)
I *THINK* I saw BOSE on the speaker but it's blurry. Looks like the Bose though.
No backup camera

I'm trying to figure out more info about the stereo Bose vs not Bose. Like can it do MP3 through a USB? Can I stream music through bluetooth? Does it have a subwoofer and can I change that out with another?

And most importantly, can I take out whatever amp it has and add my own?

I'll probably start another stereo thread after I drive it. Audio is a big deal for me. My current car has a Sony bluetooth/MP3/phone headunit, a 4X60W high/mid with door speakers, and a 12" sub with a 140W amp. It sounds amazing. I know it's hard (or impossible) to change the stereo on the G37, but I'll be happy if I can add amps and things in between as long as I can get a high capacity music source like a usb drive or bluetooth streaming device.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by rcebowl
Sorry I fixed my sentence. Maybe it was my fault to think a luxury car would come standard with auto dimming mirrors no matter trim. It's interesting to have keyless car (or whatever you want to call it) but have auto dim as a trim. But hey that's just me.
Your car should have the premium pkg if you have the Bose stereo, and if so it should also have the auto-dimming mirror, something doesn't sound right
Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 PM
gazoo

We're getting people confused, I wasn't the dimming guy. However, I will check that out.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM
gazoo

Looks like I probably have this since I have the auto seats memory thing and the sunroof, so probably Bose too:

P01
Glass electric tilting sliding front sunroof with sunshade and one-touch opening; Str wheel & outside mirror sync w/ seat; Automatic operation rear view mirror; Compass; Heated driver seat with lumbar adjustment and five adjustments, heated driver seat with lumbar adjustment and five adjustments, heated passenger seat; Electrically adjustable steering wheel easy entry; Memorized adjustment with two settings on door mirror position and steering wheel position with four driver's seat positions; Smart card / smart key includes memory seat adjustments and includes memory steering wheel position; Wireless connection Bluetooth; Garage door opener; Coming home device; Ten speaker(s) Bose; Burr Brown Digital Audio Converter; Bose audio system with Disc Autochanger and six-disc remote changer; Disc autochanger dashboard, 6 and CD; Connection to ext.entertainment devices ipod; Rear power windows with two one-touch; Driver and passenger heated door mirrors; Excludes: [J01] Moonroof
Old 05-25-2012, 10:01 PM
TinsleyC

Gazoo, what year model is it? If its an 09, you have the G37 Premium Journey. I'm thinking it's not because my 09 has the full auto one touch windows on all four windows, not just the front two. Note the 09 has no USB port but you can wire in a used/inexpensive iPod and get full integration with the steering wheel controls.

The 09 uses the old style iPod, I think it's 5 volt, not the newer iPod standard of 12 volt. That's okay, you can get an adapter to convert the voltage and it'll charge when connected, or just buy a used iPod that uses the older voltage setup. I went with a new one and got the adapter, and with that, 6CDs, XM radio, plus local channels you have plenty to listen to.

Is it an 08 or 10?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 PM
ashmostro

Actual "things to look for" as in issues that are endemic to the car as opposed to what features to get/not:

i would say at your mileage target or around 18k, and in particular if you are seeking a sports package model, check to see if the tires have been replaced. The stock michelins on the sport package, while sticky, have a very low lifespan IME and can go out in that timeframe if the previous owner was an aggressive driver.

They are good tires though, so replacing them with another set isn't necessarily a bad thing. They just don't last very long.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:11 AM
gazoo

Ok finally saw it and drove it today. It is NICE. The tires are new-ish, but they're not Michelins. Their I think their 225R5518's. I'm sending out for an inspection, if it checks out I should have it by the end of the week. It came with all the manuals and even the iPod cable. The only thing I noticed was a repainted rear driver quarter panel. I would worry, but the wrap around bumper under it was original. Looked like a case of grocery cart hit or a scrape. It was barely noticeable, but I have relatives who have body shops for a living and can see this stuff ok.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:22 AM
tejasg37x

Ok finally saw it and drove it today. It is NICE. The tires are new-ish, but they're not Michelins. Their I think their 225R5518's.

They should be 225/50/18...
Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 AM
gazoo

Sorry, that's right the 50s.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:50 AM
gazoo

Does anyone know if the rear seats fold down? It didn't look like it on the 2009, just that center arm rest thing. That would be real disappointing if it doesn't. My 11 year old Passat does it and I can put stuff in there no problem.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 PM
tejasg37x

Rear seat back does not fold down on the the sedan...I wish it did too.

Quick Reply: Buying used G37, need tips