G37 Sedan

Lack of torque?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Or get a MT. I've been pretty happy with the 6MT 370z I switched to since then.

Although the MT has issues of its own (shifter vibration, chatter noise, and weak synchros).
true...but that won't happen for me in L.A. 20 miles takes an average of 1 - 1.5 hrs.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:43 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
true...but that won't happen for me in L.A. 20 miles takes an average of 1 - 1.5 hrs.
If 20miles took me 1.5 hours I would leave the car at home and ride my bicycle.
But seriously though, I would think about it. I just watched a TV program on traffic grid-lock in large urban centers. They showed that in Delhi, India it's normal for a 30 mile commute to take +3 hours, everyday.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:56 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
If 20miles took me 1.5 hours I would leave the car at home and ride my bicycle.
But seriously though, I would think about it. I just watched a TV program on traffic grid-lock in large urban centers. They showed that in Delhi, India it's normal for a 30 mile commute to take +3 hours, everyday.
I use public transportation wherever possible. Los Angeles have a horrible public transit system, but if I have to go into Downtown LA, I usually take the train. Avoid the traffic and $20 parking.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah MT sucks in traffic. I agree.

But to the OP, I also feel the same way with the G. It doesn't feel fast until you open it up around 3.5k-4k RPM. Try to get the most recent trans update if you don't have a 2012. It may improve things.

I hope Infiniti will address the issue with the next turbo'ed engine, the G30t?!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:31 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm surprised by the volume of instances that I see this complaint. I don't feel this way about my '10 at all. My suggestion if you want more consistent performance: use the throttle liberally, often. The learning ECU/M adapts and then your responsiveness stays where an aggressive driver wants it. If you start baby-footing it about, the car starts to drive like a prius.

I mean, if you want a Prius, more power to you (ha!). But maybe then you should be driving one instead of a G. I keed, I keed. ;-)
Old 05-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ashmostro
I'm surprised by the volume of instances that I see this complaint. I don't feel this way about my '10 at all. My suggestion if you want more consistent performance: use the throttle liberally, often. The learning ECU/M adapts and then your responsiveness stays where an aggressive driver wants it. If you start baby-footing it about, the car starts to drive like a prius.

I mean, if you want a Prius, more power to you (ha!). But maybe then you should be driving one instead of a G. I keed, I keed. ;-)
That has been mentioned at least once or twice in the 7AT thread: service techs saying "drive the car like its meant to be driven and it wont do that" kinda thing.

My issue is that I cant really drive the car the way its meant to be driven, because its fast enough that there always ends up being someone in my way!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:28 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
That has been mentioned at least once or twice in the 7AT thread: service techs saying "drive the car like its meant to be driven and it wont do that" kinda thing.

My issue is that I cant really drive the car the way its meant to be driven, because its fast enough that there always ends up being someone in my way!
According to the IDD (in dash display) I average about 20 mph every tankful. Maybe Infiniti should give me my money for the car back, since I can't drive it like intended, and my local dealer knew that. Maybe I can sue for false representation or something.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:48 PM
sniper27

I guess the G is not made for people who drive in traffic.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:29 AM
llee916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually dont post on here, but just had to on this thread.

Yes, I came from a 2003 Maxima and went to a 2010 G37S. The Maxima felt WAY faster mostly because of more lower end torque, a much quicker revving engine, and plus the torque steer creates a false sense of speed.

Ultimately, as someone here best put it, its the poor 7AT and not enough low end torque that kills this car. If it had more low end torque, this car would be so much better. And I just still can't get past the fact that 20 something thousand car has a smoother transmission than the G37. Idk if I'll be returning to Infiniti or Nissan because of this. My Maxima's transmission had most of the same problems too.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:17 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm coming from a 08 altima 3.5 with the cvt and the G37 seem so much faster. I remember driving it home from the dealership hoping for red lights to get a 1st gear start.

The trans has its quarks, but overall seems geared pretty good for the engine. First gear is pretty damn aggressive. Under normal driving the trans will shift probably by 5-8 mph.

If the DSC is off and I punch it, the tires will spin or will start chirping in the higher rpm range and will chirp 1st to 2nd shift if in ds mode and dsc off.

I do have stillen intake and invidia exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails Lack of torque?-gears.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 AM
PENROSE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got my G37x 7sp auto a few days ago and I am still trying to figure out how to get the most (acceleration) out of this big V6. I am coming from a 2010 GTI with the 6sp DSG auto tranny. My GTI was full bolt on with 3" exhaust and Stage 2 tune.

Although I think the G is as fast as my VW......the VW felt way faster. The torque in the GTI was huge. And the DSG in manual mode compared to the G in manual mode is night and day. The DSG shifts INSTANTLY. Very crisp and fast. The G in manual mode is, well, awful. There is just too much hesitation, lag, pause, lurching, jerking, etc.

D mode in the G is boring.

So far, I find that driving in DS mode is the best so far....until my car "adapts" to my driving habits in manual mode (I bought the car used with 13,000 mi). Maybe this 7sp TSB is something my car needs/qualifies for? I don't know much about it. My car is a 2010 AWD sedan.

With all that said, I am liking the G more each day. But it is sooo different, in so many ways, from my GTI that I just sold. Different in good ways and some bad ways too. It is too early right now for me to regret buying this car. I plan on getting a catback ASAP. I am sure listening to the new growl will help pacify me and put a smile on my face. Just having trouble deciding on the "best sounding" exhaust haha.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There will be those who are satisfied with the G's power/torque and those that won't. The car is definately quick, but by no means "fast". If it doesn't "do it" for you, start shopping. I have something on the way that will fill the void.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PENROSE
I just got my G37x 7sp auto a few days ago and I am still trying to figure out how to get the most (acceleration) out of this big V6. I am coming from a 2010 GTI with the 6sp DSG auto tranny. My GTI was full bolt on with 3" exhaust and Stage 2 tune.

Although I think the G is as fast as my VW......the VW felt way faster. The torque in the GTI was huge. And the DSG in manual mode compared to the G in manual mode is night and day. The DSG shifts INSTANTLY. Very crisp and fast. The G in manual mode is, well, awful. There is just too much hesitation, lag, pause, lurching, jerking, etc.
I am in the same boat I had a stage 2 GTI as well, with the 6MT. My GTI made 256whp/320wtq on the dyno. While I agree the GTI may have "felt" faster at times with the torque, it is also a lighter car so that is half of it. The other part is that you can feel torque a lot more than HP, but it is night and day in the top end on my G vs the GTI..the G definitely has more pull above 5k rpm. I have no doubt my G would have taken the GTI, and especially off the line with the AWD of course. Not to mention, while the GTI had torque it still had the turbo lag and rubber band effect, where as I am learning I prefer the NA aspects of the VQ37.

Since you have a 2010 and are talking about the transmission problems with the 7AT- you need to go get the update. There's a whole thread about..apparently the new update has fixed most everyone's issues.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Cheburashka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone mentioned "Infiniti Acceleration Swell"? If not, I think that's the culprit of the "No low-end torque" problem.

EDIT: Looks like someone did. Anyhow, i'm fairly certain thats the issue.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I also had a revo-tuned GTI, but to me it's no contest. The G is a giant step up. I have never felt one regret about getting the G. The gti was a fun car, but the G is fun, elegant, and luxurious at the same time.

Not as much torque as the Gti, but The G has a ton more passing power. The gti felt fast from a standstill, but slow while cruising.

Quick Reply: Lack of torque?