G37 Sedan

I'm getting rid of the G37x, not sure which I want.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:36 AM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm getting rid of the G37x, not sure which I want.

So for the past month and a half I have been debating keeping the G37x because I want a coupe again and a manual car. I also did the math on the costs of what I want to do to this and I came out to around $32k in mods not including supercharging it. Based on what I don't want, I don't want to own another sedan so that throws out the MB C63 AMG(used), Lexus ISF(used), BMW M5(used), and the Audi S4. I also don't want another AWD vehicle so that throws out the Audi S5. I also want to keep the purchase of the new car to be under $50k. Right now my two main choices are a new G37s coupe or a used E92 M3. I eliminated the 370z from my list last night due to me not being entirely thrilled with the body and the cost of what I would want to do to it (somewhere in the range of 30k in aftermarket stuff not including engine work). The amount of the aftermarket parts I would do are in the same price range between the M3 and G37s(around 20k).

The M3 is one of my dream cars but the one thing holding me back from doing it is the fact that I would be paying more on a used car than a new G37s. Another reason holding me back is the introduction of the new model M's to the market. I know I am going to get asked why not wait and get the new M3 or M4. I don't want the new M3 due to the new tri-turbo motors; I dont trust them to be honest. Then comes the fact that I will have to pay the MSRP price or more to get it since dealers like to give out the cars based on who paid the most, not when u ordered. If I waited till next year I could afford it, but it's another entire year till the coupe (M4) is reintroduced to the market. With the used M3, I am trying to find preferably a 09 or 10 in blue, dark grey, or black with their technology package, cf roof, and upgraded sound (so I can have folding rear seats). I also want it to have less than 35k miles and within 200 miles of my since I have to trade in my sedan (sedan is worth more than what I have left on my
loan). I would also have to buy the extended warranty on it.

After reading all that, you would think it would be common sense to get the new G37s. My issue with this is I would be eating the main amount of depreciation on the vehicle. The model might be changing in '13 is another reason. I am also thinking about thing to steer myself away from the immature import crowd we have in NJ (I'm only 27). The extra horsepower the M3 has is something I am interested in.

So I have arguments for both as to why to get and why not. I am having a problem deciding what to do. Anyone want to try to talk some sense into me and try to put one against the other.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Also forgot to add this will not be my daily driver. I also can wait till next year to get it if I really need to and buy an even newer model (but also eat some of the big depreciation in the first 3 years with the M3).
Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've driven the E9x M3...... is amazing, but i [personally] wouldn't touch a used one.

1) high probability of being a track biotch
2) maint is pricey. Are you planning on getting the extended maint package along w/ extended warranty?
3) If you get the comp package with the staggered setup, you go thru tires like it's going out of style since you can't rotate them.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:17 PM
jddssc121

PS - i'd personally just get a 335. It's "fast enough" for the street. For a M3 you're spending a lot of money for performance you just can't take full advantage of unless you're on the track.

If you're buying you can get a E90 (new) for CHEAP right now since they're trying to dump what little inventory they have left. If you're leasing, the F30's have REALLY good residuals right now.......
Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 PM
rohardi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could look at doing a European Delivery of a M3. You save about 10-14% off of MSRP. That's what I'll be doing with my F10 M5 next year.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would a cts-v coupe be an option?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:37 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Originally Posted by MaluG37
Would a cts-v coupe be an option?
I've driven one, wasn't impressed by them. I also don't like American made cars.

I know if I order the new M3 to get the euro delivery, but like I said the tri turbo setup doesn't appeal to me since so much can go wrong with that.

I don't like cars that come with stock forced induction, too many problems. My friends uncle owns a tow truck company, the 335 is one of the cars he picks up the most with problems.

And I would prob get the maintenance package if I bought used, so that's a good 5-6k on other things for the m3.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:42 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Also won't lease a car, just don't like the idea that I'm driving something I don't own. Yes I know the upside is if I don't like it I don't have to keep it, but I would hope with the next car that won't happen.

I don't plan on making this decision till the end of this month anyway, I'm still owed a bonus from my new job after my 5 week screwup with the background check company making me stay home (technically i still haven't cleared, I need to get my fingerprints taken again).
Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
zoner

Don't know if you are the vert type. But I would get the 335 vert instead of M3. Especially since you have a beater you can drive in the winter. Over the long haul the vert will hold value. Soooo beautiful with the top down
Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I know you said no to US cars but the Boss 302 (w/ stripe delete) would be a pretty rippin' ride
Especially w/ the track key engaged
Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I know you said no to US cars but the Boss 302 (w/ stripe delete) would be a pretty rippin' ride
Especially w/ the track key engaged
I agree.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM
jepva

Look, I don't know your situation but a lot of the "ifs and buts" you have are a bit silly. If you are going to spend $20k in mods why do you even care about depreciation of the car? Spending that much in mods is going to depreciate it way further. Also I can't fathom what you're doing with $20k in mods..I'm guessing mostly show/appearance type stuff since you are not interested in performance?

As far as car recommendations..there's other coupes out there like the Mercedes SL/CL etc. and what about the GTR? You could also look at a used M6 or a new 6-series with the twin turbo (well just forgot you said no boost).

Also if are going to spend $20k on mods why is reliability even a factor? Sorry I'm just seeing a bunch of conflicting priorities/information so not really sure what you're after here..
Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by jepva
Look, I don't know your situation but a lot of the "ifs and buts" you have are a bit silly. If you are going to spend $20k in mods why do you even care about depreciation of the car? Spending that much in mods is going to depreciate it way further.

+1 .

Apart from not getting ANY money back from your mods themselves....Most dealers will drop their trade in offer A LOT if your car has been modded.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by jddssc121
+1 .

Apart from not getting ANY money back from your mods themselves....Most dealers will drop their trade in offer A LOT if your car has been modded.
Agree, 20-30K in mods is dumb...just get a car that's 20K more. An M3 being certified pre-owned isn't risk...and unless you are paying cash you are driving a car you don't own until you have a title with your name on it..which is the same as a lease.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't think I would say that spending $20K modifying a car is dumb. The vast majority of people who modify their cars accept the reality that it is not an investment. It is a hobby. The OP clearly enjoys the hobby of modifying his cars. If you have the money, then spend it how you want. Personally, I'd rather buy a $35,000 car and put $20,000 into it than drive a $55,000 car off the lot. Different strokes for different folks.

Quick Reply: I'm getting rid of the G37x, not sure which I want.