G37 Sedan

I'm getting rid of the G37x, not sure which I want.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
Look, I don't know your situation but a lot of the "ifs and buts" you have are a bit silly. If you are going to spend $20k in mods why do you even care about depreciation of the car? Spending that much in mods is going to depreciate it way further. Also I can't fathom what you're doing with $20k in mods..I'm guessing mostly show/appearance type stuff since you are not interested in performance?

As far as car recommendations..there's other coupes out there like the Mercedes SL/CL etc. and what about the GTR? You could also look at a used M6 or a new 6-series with the twin turbo (well just forgot you said no boost).

Also if are going to spend $20k on mods why is reliability even a factor? Sorry I'm just seeing a bunch of conflicting priorities/information so not really sure what you're after here..
lol, do you know how easy it is to spend $20k in mods on more expensive cars? This is why I don't specifically ask peoples opinions on here most of the time because they think they should always buy the cheapest parts. You can spend easily 10k on suspension upgrades and wheels alone, so there is half that amount. Yes I can spend a reasonably lower amount by going with the cheapest suspension parts and cheapest knockoff wheels, but I actually DRIVE my cars and test out their capabilities so shorting out on this is not going to happen. Then with exhausts they make ones out of this metal called titanium, it is easy to spend 6k on that..... I live in an area where salt is present most of the year thanks to the beach, and since SS rusts from that it makes me not want SS if I can avoid that. So saying spending 20k is unfathomable on either car is kind of insane on your part.

And reliability matters on THE MOTOR. Buying a used car you take the chance that the person who had it before you didn't take care of it or overrevved the **** out it. The M3 is a high revving motor and most owners track their cars, which is another thing that comes to mind why reliability could be an issue.

Also, who sells a car with aftermarket parts on it? You return it back to stock before you get rid of it. You should always anticipate losing 50% of what you spent on a part when getting rid of the car.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Freshness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before you flame me I have a 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe and an 08 g35 daily..

Here's what I don't understand about your reasoning, you say you want to spend 20k on mods but purchase a PREOWNED m3? That within itself sounds insane, you're talking big game about how much money you spend on mods but wouldn't you rather put that 20k into getting a NEW m3, at least that 20k would be financed over 60 mo's as opposed to paying 20k for mods--especially if you can get approved at 0.9%.

And who do you think you are putting people down for spending less money on mods? That type of stuff is all relevant to people's financial fortune. If people can't afford KW Clubsports and opt for some H&R coilovers instead, that doesn't mean that they dont like to DRIVE their car, as you say--just that they don't want to blow 4.5k on coilovers. What's the big deal with that? And don't hate on knockoff parts, especially since you have one on your car. Meisterschaft is made by GT Haus, formerly Eisenhaus--which is a complete knockoff of Eisenmann.

Yes you can easily spend 20k on mods, that's the only thing I agree with. Is it a logical and mature decision? IMO hell no. not unless you have money flowing out of your a-hole.

and most m3 owners do NOT typically track their cars, that's ridiculous. In socal I see at least 4-5x e90/2 m3's a day. They're not usually enthusiasts driving, believe it or not it's mostly trophy wives..

Last edited by Freshness; 05-15-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
M3 coupe. Competition package. 8000rpm sounds like music. It's not your daily driver, you say? Do eet.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 AM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bb or Sam, lock the thread, I'm just going to argue with that ******* now. I don't want to waste my time or energy correcting his thought process.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:17 AM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
Bb or Sam, lock the thread, I'm just going to argue with that ******* now. I don't want to waste my time or energy correcting his thought process.
... Don't let it get to you, man. If it makes you feel any better, I'm doing it wrong, too. I, too, was unaware that one is not supposed to modify a pre-owned vehicle. (My G was purchased pre-owned. ) Evidently, I also missed the memo explaining that spending $20,000+ modifying is immature.

Just do your own thing...
Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Don't listen, I presonally like the G better than the M3, but if you are going to modify the vehicle it seems to me the M3 would be a better choice. They are more mod friendly but I like the looks of the G better. It seems you are getting reamed for the oposite of what I normally do. If you want to put 20k into a car do it! This is for you, not some clown. FYI I dropped 20k into my Jeep pretty fast and the mods are far cheaper.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Just about every "G of the month" winner has $15-20k in mods don't they? Who cares what someone else wants to spend on their ride. Sure is better than everyone doing the same thing, or worse keeping everything bone stock.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
fbottone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
I don't like cars that come with stock forced induction, too many problems. My friends uncle owns a tow truck company, the 335 is one of the cars he picks up the most with problems.
The 335's have problems with fuel pumps (BMW's direct injection puts heavy demands on a high pressure fuel pump)...not much to do with turbo or not turbo.

In fact, the engine is so well known the problem is listed on it's page in wikipedia...BMW N54 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In December of 2010, supposedly BMW finally put out a version of the fuel pump that would not fail prematurely and issued a recall for cars with that engine having the older fuel pumps...I would personally look into the 335 still and make sure they have updated the fuel pump to the right one...

I drove a modified audi a4 1.8t to 70k miles on the original turbo, upgraded it and ran another 100k miles on an aftermarket ecu to go with the turbo with no issues at all - turbo can be pretty reliable if it's done right. Even if I had to replace the turbo every 100k miles, it was only like $600 for the turbo itself. If an M3 is in the running, I would venture to bet the 335 maintenance costs will not exceed that of an M3.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:48 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I notice you talk a lot about depreciation and "eating" the loss.

In my mind, a car is NOT an investment. A house is an investment. A car is a necessary tool.

If you have a daily driver then that makes it more of a 'pleasure craft' and that's definitely not an investment. My advice to you is this - if you can't afford the M3 without worrying about eating the depreciation... get the G37S.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:20 PM
dagenius01

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
get a Porsche... those are fun to drive...
Old 05-17-2012, 11:12 AM
1stCAV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '09 G37S sedan and recently purchased an '08 E90 335i sedan CPO for the wife. And personally I love the car.

Despite the mentioned issues, I still believe the N54 is a great platform for tuning. With the amount you plan on using in mods, a tuned N54 335i can outrun an E9X M3.

Unfortunately, I do not believe you can purchase the extended maintenance package on a CPO or pre-owned BMW. The option is only available to the first person to purchase the vehicle, but the extended maintenance package and warranty will be transferred to the next owner. Our car came with both.