G37 Sedan

What other car(s) were you considering before you bought the G Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 09:31 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
BMW 328 xDrive
Lexus ES350
MB 350 4matic (wife's input )

Last edited by VIVID; 07-11-2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-11-2015, 09:43 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cadillac CTS - a little too big. Cadillac ATS - a little too small. Visibility to the side and to the rear a problem with both of them. The G was just right.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:15 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
2009+ M3 coupe
Old 07-11-2015, 11:19 PM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
2007 335i. Thank god I didn't, I'd probably be buried in maintenance costs by now.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:52 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Cadillac CTS4, Audi A4 and Lexus GS350 awd.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
About three weeks ago, and entirely on whim, I test drove the 2015 Mustang GT 6MT, with the 3.73 rear gears. Last I saw the redesigned Mustang up close was the Autoshow at the beginning of the year, and the overall design really impressed me. There was something to appreciate at every corner of the car. And then, of course, the performance stats. On paper, this is a heck of a machine. So I stopped in to look at it, and the salesman just about tripped over himself to get me to test drive. We took it on a long ride... heavy traffic, back roads, highway, etc.

Long story short, the mustang was crude and ergonomically awkward. Simply an unpleasant car in every respect... except for power. Because there's no denying that car can haul azz. It was noticeably faster than my modified 6MT in every gear, at every point on the tach.

And yet, it doesn't matter. The G37S Sedan 6MT, modified for more power and improved handling, is the better car, both in design and execution. I mean, of course there are cars out there that I prefer over mine... but the Mustang GT isn't one of them.

Now I've got that out of my system.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-12-2015 at 08:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RavensMinded00 (11-10-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 10:43 AM
MagicMarker

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
whittled it down to a 2015 Mazda 6 or a used, low-mileage G37.

Loved the style of the 6's and was wary of Nissan because of the way my 06 Maxima fell apart immediately after warranty's end.

But about 90 seconds into my G37 test drive, I knew.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Gus_Mahn
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I rebuild totaled cars for my family, and it's time to replace my wife's '03 Lincoln LS V8. My DD is an '05 CTS-V, and I still really enjoy it. I've been rebuilding Chevy Cruzes for my kids and brother. They're actually a nice driving small car, but my wife really likes the near luxury sport sedan class of car. I wanted to do a Jaguar since she loved the LS, and it was a huge percentage Jaguar. She didn't like any of the ones I did. I wanted to do a CTS4, but she thought it too big. I wanted a RWD based car that was late model but had been in production for a while so parts are available used. She loved the '12 G37X sedan we drove. I liked it also except for the body roll.

I bought a 30K mile '11XS sedan hit passenger side for $6200 at auction. It's Silver/black just like her LS. After repairs, shipping from New Hampshire to Chicago, new tires, taxes, auction/broker fees, and a used RWD swaybar from the classified here, I'll have about $11,000 in it. Future plans include window tint, lowering the car, and dedicated summer/winter wheels/tires. Hopefully she'll love it for a decade like she did her last car.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:13 AM
FBGM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looked at Lexus ISXXX, Lexus LSXXX, Escalade/Tahoe, EVO X, CTS-V.

Mileage was my main concern because I didn't want to make a big purchase knowing I'll hit 100k sooner or later. Also, I wanted something that was reliable, low cost maintenance, and held its value. I just got rid of my 01 Audi S4 and 05 Audi A6 and I was just tired of throwing money into maintaining my DD. It would be a different story if it was a side/project/weekend vehicle. I'll be getting married next year so I wanted something my wife could drive as well because manual wouldn't work out. We tried lol. I just went looking around for G37s and I fell in love with the S models. Found one and on the way decided to give them a call to see if they had it, turns out there was a deposit on the vehicle. I just ended up driving to my Infiniti dealer where an old friend worked and I ended up finding my car. 2012 G37 CPO, not an S unfortunately but it's black on black, journey, all options and extra accessories with 32k miles. I'm currently the second owner and I'm in love. I'll just find something else to mess around with to replace the S4. I'm really looking for a E36 M3, so if anyone knows someone that knows someone who might know someone, holler.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:48 AM
tt350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was looking at cars around $20k

B8 Audi S4 - they were like $5-6k grand more with twice the mileage. My wife wasn't gonna use all the performance.

Evo X GSR - wife didn't like the styling of those and didn't want to drive a manual. MR's costed more. She wanted more luxury, not racecar crudeness.

Mazada 6 - she really liked those for the style and MPG's. But she liked how quick the G37 is compared to it.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:00 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 273 Likes on 228 Posts
-Acura TL SH-AWD (still inherently a front wheel drive car, the front end belongs on an MDX)
-Lexus IS350 (still a bit too feminine for me, sedan feels like a coupe with two doors added)
-Cadillac ATS (the model was still new and I have a few friends that returned their CTSs under the Lemon law - so I was gun shy, the Cadillac still has a "your grandpa has arrived" feeling for people from my generation, loved the handling of this car though)
-2004-05ish CTS-V (well maintained versions of this "have your cake and eat it too" car command a premium, interior looks like it is from the 90s and there are issues with the rear diff being too small for the powerplant)
-BMW 335i (CPO only, beautiful car in just about every respect with the exception of maint. issues that are well documented online)
-WRX (love the Boxer engine and the low center of gravity, interior is spartan and I don't exactly fit the demographic for this one, so I thought I would get tired of it in a few years)

Question? How many of you factor the dealer experience into your decision? I keep cars for 7+ years, so the dealer becomes an extension of the family, like a dentist, stylist or favorite restaurant.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:03 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
If Mazda made an AWD Mazdaspeed3, I would never have purchased my G37xS. The only reason why I got rid of my Mazdaspeed3 was that I needed AWD. I loved that car!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:50 AM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Had my sights set on a 2013 Maxima, loaded with all the bells and whistles, with 20k on it. But when i got to the lot it was transported to another lot just hours earlier. Just happened to walk by the G and i was surprised it was only 5k more and it only had 13,xxx miles on it. Took it for a spin and have been enjoying it ever since. Great driving car. Best "driving" car i've ever owned. Not the most powerful but that craving for a DD will be filled in 2 years and 11 months after i get the G paid off....
Old 11-11-2015, 10:07 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Working in the auto industry has tempted me with many different vehicles over the years. I always look at a ton of vehicles when I am considering a new one. This time I was coming out of a '14 Evo that I would also use for a handful of track days. I wanted something that would still have good performance and be able to do some track days, but that had a bit more refinement, features, and a smoother ride. I also wanted 4 doors and a real trunk this time. AWD or RWD and it had to be manual transmission. So following are the cars I considered:

I had an E46 M3 in the past and really liked it. I like the idea of a V8 in the last gen M3, but was not sold on the styling and was really disappointed by the lack of torque. Thought hard about manning up and getting a new M3, but got nervous about tracking a $70k+ car. Also considered an early 2000's M5 with a manual. Beautiful car and fun to drive. It was a bit outdated inside, but not bad and the reliability did scare me a bit. However, this probably ended up being my second choice. Great driving car.

Considered getting an S4 and tuning it, but it just seemed too sterile and common (probably because the store I work at carries Audi) Also considered a used RS4, but it was too outdated. Considered an S3, but it was too small and no manual transmission.

Also considered a C63 AMG and was almost able to overlook the fact of no manual transmission because of the great engine, but I could not justify the pricing on the used ones with low miles.

Thought hard about a '16 Golf R as my family had a lot of VW's and a few GTI's growing up and I always liked the car. I have always liked hatchbacks, but I think I am getting too old because it looks too much like a rollerskate to me.

Speaking of hatchbacks, I was very interested in the new Focus RS, but it looks so cheap inside and both of my local dealers sold the one car they will be getting this year long before they arrived and I cannot buy that car just on pictures.

I really thought my next car would be the new STI as I owned a '98 RS, '02 WRX, and an '09 STI in the past. It was also supposed to have this great style and be all new. It turned out to look like a Corolla with a big spoiler and use the same engine and trans they have used for the last decade. Bummer.

Considered an Acura TL 6spd. AWD until I drove it. Boring, unresponsive, and heavy.

Also thought about an RX-8, but it is a momentum car like a Miata. It handles great, but just has no power unless you do major surgery with a turbo.

I really like the styling of the new Maxima, but it only comes in FWD and A/T. This car handles amazingly well for what it is. Probably the best handling large FWD car I have ever driven.

I ended up with the G37S 6spd. because I know the engine is bulletproof and the tuning market is there with all of the 370Z parts that are basically the same. I liked the fit/finish and huge amount of features compared to the tin can Evo. I also liked the adjustable side bolsters so I can make the seats similarly supportive to the Evo for track days, but a lot easier to get in the rest of the time. We will see if the leather in the center of the seats gets too cold in the winter/too hot in the summer and I replace it with suede...
Old 11-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Excellent read, 4DRZ. I suspect a lot of people here can relate to those opinions.

Quick Reply: What other car(s) were you considering before you bought the G Sedan?