G37 Sedan

What other car(s) were you considering before you bought the G Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by kickintheglass
A man can only do so much to save the world...so I said screw it, let's go with the G
Haha Nice!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:40 PM
yonith

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My requirements were awd, at or under 30k, automatic, and fairly quick. I was coming from a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT. My 3 finalists were

WRX - couldn't find a used one cheap enough since it was so new. I never got to test drive one. The interior with pleather is nothing special.

TL awd - Interior was fantastic. Test drive felt disconnected, heavy, and not particularly fast.

G37xS - Talk about a night and day difference in drive feel with the TL. I knew within minutes that this was my next car. $26k with only 16k miles. No accidents. Just got it a month ago. Got windows tinted, gtr overlays are in the mail, and looking into brushed aluminum dash kits to add to a few spots.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:51 AM
CMBurns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be replacing my sedan in a year or so.

Chevy SS is the only new alternative, or maybe a base Panamera (yeah right).
RWD, NA, Manual, LSD, 4 doors.

Mustang GT if my kids fit.

Everything else new is a computer with wheels.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:34 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 273 Likes on 228 Posts
Let me know if you are able to squeeze any humans with legs into the back seat of the Mustang. It's disappointing that the 911 has more legroom than the Mustang, which for all intents and purposes is a 2 seater.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:11 PM
CMBurns

Originally Posted by socketz67
Let me know if you are able to squeeze any humans with legs into the back seat of the Mustang. It's disappointing that the 911 has more legroom than the Mustang, which for all intents and purposes is a 2 seater.
I'm not optimistic. Might end up in a Challenger instead, because my wife will put the heisman on the SS when she sees the price.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:01 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

The Challenger is a larger than you may think. I test drove one back when they were introduced and was surprised by how 'big' the car felt; the G feels smaller. Good looking car though. Functional back seat, but still a coupe. if you can handle a 2 door, why not a Q70? The existing G Coupe has ok rear legroom, so I expect a small improvement in this area when the Q70 is released. I love the look of the Q70.

I would wait 2-3 years to buy a Chevy SS pre-owned. Nice car, but much of the price premium will dissipate once the novelty wears off.

I'm going through this now with the 2016 Honda Pilot my wife wants to replace her 2007. The 16' is selling at MSRP because the new model makes improvements in almost every area (power/mileage/space/safety/luxury/handling, etc.). Once it's 2 years old, the bugs will be ironed out, novelty gone, and you will once again be able to pick one up for 2K under invoice.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:19 PM
CMBurns

Ha! I'll be looking at Pilots very soon as well. Previous gen most likley.

This is my second Nissan and I'm ready to try something else. I definitely like the looks of new Q-whatevers, though.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:03 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Be careful as the reason the last gen Pilot is affordable used because that model failed the small overlap front crash test. In fact, it was one of the worst.

Vehicle details

Google "honda pilot small overlap front crash test"

The prices of the second gen model (08-15) seem like a value now based on this failure.

The good news is that the 2016 crushed all of the safety tests, and has a more powerful/fuel efficient engine, with an interior that some critics say looks like it belongs in a car that cost 20K more than the Pilot.

This is why the 2016s are flying of the lots at MSRP. The 2016 also hits 60 in 6.5 seconds! That's moving for a 3 row seating SUV in this class.

What other SUVs have you considered?

I'm looking in the 30kish range, so Audis, Land Rovers,Porsche's and even Infinitis are not on the short list.

I thought about a used QX60/JX35, but these are really just gussied up Pathfinders, which also cost quite a bit less.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:46 AM
salmonslayer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
No lie, I want a 11 or newer Audi S4 bad. Its just not in my budget at the moment because we have 2 kids in daycare and that bill is more than our mortgage payment, sucks but it is what it is. I'm just thinking 2 more years, 2 more years, 2 more years...No more daycare bill after. My car budget will open up. Too bad the Q50 is just ok to me. I think I will target S4 when the time comes. I had a A4 before and it was fantastic with the K04 turbo and APR tune.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:07 AM
CMBurns

I don't like SUVs, and haven't really looked at any, but my wife is into the three-row me-too thing. I really want to get her a TSX wagon.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:26 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by salmonslayer
No lie, I want a 11 or newer Audi S4 bad. Its just not in my budget at the moment because we have 2 kids in daycare and that bill is more than our mortgage payment, sucks but it is what it is. I'm just thinking 2 more years, 2 more years, 2 more years...No more daycare bill after. My car budget will open up. Too bad the Q50 is just ok to me. I think I will target S4 when the time comes. I had a A4 before and it was fantastic with the K04 turbo and APR tune.
As a wise man once told me, you can have just about everything you want in life, but it's not likely you will have it all at the same time.

Why do you think there are so many seniors driving C7 Corvettes and living in loft apartments in the heart of the city :-)
Old 11-25-2015, 11:13 AM
salmonslayer

Originally Posted by socketz67
As a wise man once told me, you can have just about everything you want in life, but it's not likely you will have it all at the same time.

Why do you think there are so many seniors driving C7 Corvettes and living in loft apartments in the heart of the city :-)
Ahh yes, this is true and also why I we see so many seniors vacationing in nice pkaces around the world.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 11:15 AM
CMBurns

Originally Posted by salmonslayer
Ahh yes, this is true and also why I we see so many seniors vacationing in nice pkaces around the world.
retirement is wasted on the old
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 11:23 AM
salmonslayer

Originally Posted by CMBurns
I don't like SUVs, and haven't really looked at any, but my wife is into the three-row me-too thing. I really want to get her a TSX wagon.
Wife and I looked hard at TSX wagons. Tested a few and came away unimpressed. The 4cy engine is adequate but needs more power for a heavier car. Acura really messed up with not putting in the v6 like they did for the sedans. Also, interior dash design is ugly and the way the rear struts design is takes away from the rear cargo space. The Golf sportwagen was better. Acura, what can I say, they have no clue...They should fire their design team, really messed up on the 09+ TL, so ugly. Then they take away the TSX and TL and replace with a mix of both and callmit the TLX...smh. Their cars drive nice but they're just really either bland or ugly design.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:24 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CMBurns
retirement is wasted on the old
And the majority of our youth is usually wasted inside cubicles. Set up your life so that you can run around and have fun...while you can still actually run around!

Quick Reply: What other car(s) were you considering before you bought the G Sedan?