G37 Sedan

New Exhaust Tips for the G37 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,660 Likes on 3,483 Posts
IMO, tips look better with a matte-black vinyl wrap behind them.

New Look:

Old look:

Obsess much? LOL

Last edited by Rochester; 06-30-2012 at 03:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (03-26-2014)
Old 06-30-2012, 08:59 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Obsess much? LOL
Much better look IMO, the obsession to the details is what separates the nice cars from the VERY nice ones.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
obsession to the details is what separates the nice cars from the VERY nice ones.
I approve of Newt's philosophy on cars.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Next year or sooner, I'm wanting to get a cat back on the car. The RHFC, while clearly a power mod, does nothing for the sound of the exhaust. IMO, the most appealing *looking* exhaust and tips is the Stillen catback. But I'm leaning towards ARK for sound and unique design. If I do go with ARK, then I'll be cutting off those huge tips and replacing them with... something else. IDK what.

So every now and then I spend some time searching for tips. This morning I ran across these, from Stainless Works. They're a round, double-walled design, with a 30* slash cut. But instead of a "rolled" edge, it's almost flat. Very, very different looking, and opposite the nearly invisible, single wall design of my current Magnaflows.

Opinions?

Double Wall Slash Cut Exhaust Tip - 4" Body , 3" ID

Last edited by Rochester; 03-22-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the Ark that is making you lean in that direction? I suppose I'm asking what about the design and the sound difference?

I like those tips, definitely a bit different. Unless I go with dual tips I hadn't considered changing the tips on the FI I just installed but I do like that "slash" design. I'm thinking that would look awfully sharp.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:26 AM
ClickClackSmack

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts
Next year or sooner, I'm wanting to get a cat back on the car. The RHFC, while clearly a power mod, does nothing for the sound of the exhaust. IMO, the most appealing *looking* exhaust and tips is the Stillen catback. But I'm leaning towards ARK for sound and unique design. If I do go with ARK, then I'll be cutting off those huge tips and replacing them with... something else. IDK what.

So every now and then I spend some time searching for tips. This morning I ran across these, from Stainless Works. They're a round, double-walled design, with a 30* slash cut. But instead of a "rolled" edge, it's almost flat. Very, very different looking, and opposite the nearly invisible, single wall design of my current Magnaflows.

Opinions?

Double Wall Slash Cut Exhaust Tip - 4" Body , 3" ID

I had the stillen cbe before I changed over to the ARK and I have to agree that that the stillen exhaust canisters and tips look way better. I like the idea of swapping the ARK tips bc they are a little over the top. Just not a fan of those double walled tips. I have to stop you when you say that the HFCSs do nothing for the sound of the exhaust. I have FI HFCs paired up with my ark and the HFCs surely make the exhaust louder with a deeper tone.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Damn, those are some pretty tips! Would really give the exhaust a substantial look, and w/ a 1/4" wall thickness should look very nice from the back.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I know why a he's saying about the RHFCs and the exhaust. The change of tone with the stock exhaust is minimal although I noticed a difference. Once I paired it with the FI CBE with the 12 inch with the upgraded X pipe and 12 inch resonators... Well that really opens it up. If I can get YouTube to work for me I'll post a couple videos but there seems to be a loose nut behind my keyboard causing me issues.
twin_snails (08-08-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Morning, guys.

My RHFC are mated to the OEM cat back. It's only been a few days (of still frigid weather) but IMO they offer almost no change to the exhaust note. However, I'm fully aware that my R2C intake makes a fair amount of noise, so if there are subtle changes, it maybe overwhelmed by intake noise.

Like I said, and ClickClack agreed, the Stillen cat back is a clean and beautiful looking design. But the helmholtz resonator design of the ARK cat back has appeal to me, both from a unique design POV, as well as for the rumble. In the vids, it sounds wonderful (to me).

All of this is just research for a long off mod. I saw these tips, and thought I'd post them up for opinions. Another alternative would be to go back to the rolled oval design, like the OEM tips. But to do it with a far better quality than OEM. Here's Magnaflow's rolled oval:

Old 03-26-2014, 04:31 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Man, I am multi-slacking hard core today at work reading the forum. Wow, I'm loving the matte black against the new tips. Looks real strong, Sir!

IMO, tips look better with a matte-black vinyl wrap behind them.

New Look:

Old look:

Obsess much? LOL
Old 03-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Man, I am multi-slacking hard core today at work reading the forum. Wow, I'm loving the matte black against the new tips. Looks real strong, Sir!
Thanks. Although you know it kills me that the sides divert a little from the lines of the wrap-around in the diffuser area. But I've learned to live with it. Figure if I ever get it re-wrapped or painted, I'll be riding hard on the process so that it's 100% what I want.

The place that originally did the work seriously botched the job, and I had to go to another place to have them fix it.

This was my bumper wrap thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ar-bumper.html
Old 03-26-2014, 04:53 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

I think this one is pretty nice. What are you using to keep the exhaust tips shiny and clean? After 85k miles, my stock ones look pretty grimy, despite washing them with a sponge at every car wash.

Morning, guys.

My RHFC are mated to the OEM cat back. It's only been a few days (of still frigid weather) but IMO they offer almost no change to the exhaust note. However, I'm fully aware that my R2C intake makes a fair amount of noise, so if there are subtle changes, it maybe overwhelmed by intake noise.

Like I said, and ClickClack agreed, the Stillen cat back is a clean and beautiful looking design. But the helmholtz resonator design of the ARK cat back has appeal to me, both from a unique design POV, as well as for the rumble. In the vids, it sounds wonderful (to me).

All of this is just research for a long off mod. I saw these tips, and thought I'd post them up for opinions. Another alternative would be to go back to the rolled oval design, like the OEM tips. But to do it with a far better quality than OEM. Here's Magnaflow's rolled oval:

Old 03-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I think this one is pretty nice. What are you using to keep the exhaust tips shiny and clean? After 85k miles, my stock ones look pretty grimy, despite washing them with a sponge at every car wash.
As much as the 30* round, flat-edge tips are unique, the sensible side of me is leaning back towards the OEM-ish oval design, like those Magnaflows. We'll see what happens. New exhaust won't be until this time next year.

As for cleaning, just Maguiars Metal polish. For grit that's stuck on and just won't come off, use 4-naught (0000) steel wool. I know that might seem crazy, but trust me, it's just SS, and the 4-naught steel wool won't hurt it. What it will do quite nicely is clean the crap right off. Then just use metal polish afterwards.

Of course, if you have some kind of clear-coat on the SS, the steel wool will take that off, too. But like I said, it's just stainless steel. Try it on your OEM tips. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:49 AM
MrTLFsr

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought my car used and it came with the Tanabe axle backs. The tips are too big for my taste (4.5") and it looks ricey. I'm going to have a muffler shop cut the tips and install something along these lines. I like the "rolled tip" look.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Thanks. Although you know it kills me that the sides divert a little from the lines of the wrap-around in the diffuser area. But I've learned to live with it. Figure if I ever get it re-wrapped or painted, I'll be riding hard on the process so that it's 100% what I want.

The place that originally did the work seriously botched the job, and I had to go to another place to have them fix it.

This was my bumper wrap thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ar-bumper.html
My apologies for missing this post. I can see what you mean with the lines. I really like the way it looks though.
Rochester (08-08-2014)

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Tips for the G37 Sedan