G37 Sedan

New Exhaust Tips for the G37 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Mystery solved. Thanks, Tazicon.

I'll be honest here about where I stand on this very tiny aesthetic mod... it's just an attempt to get happier with the tips as compared to the OEM ovals. Specific to that objective, I'm good with what's been done.

However, I was hoping the single-wall edge would be more noticeable than it is from the dead straight-on perspective. As it is, the tips all but disappear from that very narrow angle. Move a few degrees right or left, and they look great. And at a profile... beautiful, IMO.

Someday I'll get a decent catback, and I'm really happy to discover the G community has a wealth of options there. Until then, this is better than OEM, and a good enough mod for a small cost.
Great way to look at it. I think it looks good. Idk if I would have gone with the angled cut though. That comment someone made about the "mustang look" is kinda right. Personally, I think the thin wall just cut straight down might look better, but to each their own.

Anyway, I agree with the above op quote 100%.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,675 Likes on 3,495 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
Personally, I think the thin wall just cut straight down might look better...
That's exactly right. My previous car had single-wall dual-tips, and the fine silver edge looked really, really nice. So that was contributing to my decision. But those were a 90* cut. It never occurred to me that a 45* cut would compromise that already thin line. Only a few mm difference in the perspective, but details are details.

Good analysis, Mattster. And a good lesson learned, I suppose.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM
yolkipalki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you provide link to these exaust tips please , one of mine fell of and i need to get new ones.\

Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by yolkipalki
can you provide link to these exaust tips please , one of mine fell of and i need to get new ones.\

Thanks
Here: MAGNAFLOW 35216 TIPS

Plug in a low-ball number, then work your way up $1 at a time until it accepts your bid. Free shipping, FTW.

Now that I have hindsight, I think I might have tried these instead, which are 2x as expensive, and IDK how well they would cut down to fit, seeing as how they're double-walled.

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Old 05-04-2012, 12:00 AM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
OOOOO. that IS shmexy from an angle.
and pat on the back for whomever did the welding.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by pdpMIATA
OOOOO. that IS shmexy from an angle.
and pat on the back for whomever did the welding.
Thanks!

On a related note, someone here mentioned Mustang... and they're right, the mustang uses a similar design. I noticed one the other day.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just an exhaust tip, after all.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Thanks!

On a related note, someone here mentioned Mustang... and they're right, the mustang uses a similar design. I noticed one the other day.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just an exhaust tip, after all.
The Mustang also has the five-ohh, definitely nothing wrong w/ that either
Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 AM
jojobucks
Registered Member

Just curious, how did you get the oem tips off? Just by pounding?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by jojobucks
Just curious, how did you get the oem tips off? Just by pounding?
The OEM tips are a two-part configuration. The inner section is welded to the 2.25" extension from the muffler. This is the piece that has the flange on the inside. The outer piece is what you see, which is clamped on. Really tight, too. There was no hand-assembly going on here.

The tips were cut off with a small, hand-held, circular saw, and then a hacksaw for the final cuts. The cuts were made at the base of the tip, leaving about 2" of the original pipe to the can.

I wish I had a better picture, but my bounce flash broke last year. Anyway, here is the OEM tip:

Last edited by Rochester; 05-06-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM
jojobucks
Registered Member

It's a great picture. If I understand you correctly, if I wanted to take the tips off, I could probably pound them off but I would still be left with the inner section which is welded to the tailpipe. Is that correct? I was hoping I could just knock mine off and replace with something else.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by jojobucks
It's a great picture. If I understand you correctly, if I wanted to take the tips off, I could probably pound them off but I would still be left with the inner section which is welded to the tailpipe. Is that correct? I was hoping I could just knock mine off and replace with something else.
That's correct. You might be able to pry off the stainless-steel wrapper with a little bit of work, but the inside piece is completely welded to the pipe.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Mike45

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2008 g35 sedan and one of the exhaust tips were replaced with a aftermarket tip.

I am considering replacing both just like you did. Do you have any pic's from the back of the car? You think i can do this on my own?

and does anyone have any idea if the g37 sedans and the 2008 g35 sedans share the same exhaust systems?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike45
I have a 2008 g35 sedan and one of the exhaust tips were replaced with a aftermarket tip.

I am considering replacing both just like you did. Do you have any pic's from the back of the car? You think i can do this on my own?

and does anyone have any idea if the g37 sedans and the 2008 g35 sedans share the same exhaust systems?
If you're an experienced welder w/ a decent tig welder should be pretty easy & yes the exhausts are the same from '07 on.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I am considering replacing both just like you did. Do you have any pic's from the back of the car?
None that I'm happy with. I've already said a few times, the zero-degree perspective is disappointing, because the tips simply disappear. There's not enough surface on the single-wall cut edge to allow the opening to be noticeable. The 45 degree cut and the 3.5" width doesn't help in that respect.

That being said, from any other perspective, these tips look great. I went from OEM tips that looked like pooh no matter what the perspective, to tips that only disappoint from a certain, narrow perspective.

You think i can do this on my own?
If you have the tools and the welding skills, yes. Otherwise, no way.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Another realistic way to look at this... you can spend hundreds of dollars on exhaust tips. Seriously, some really nice ones go for over $150 each, times two. At that kind of expense, you're getting close to the purchase of an axle-back.

Everybody draws the ROI line somewhere. It's a personal thing. And for me, these tips are like a two-year, temporary thing until I go cat-back.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (03-06-2019)

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Tips for the G37 Sedan