Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cpo FTL!
Congrats on the car. Just make sure the dealership doesnt wash your car
Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Dabo
A friend of mine owns a bunch of car washes up my way and he's actually sold all of his "touchless" units because of the damage they cause and the liability he felt he was opening himself up to. He says in order to be touchless, they've got to use much stronger soaps/chemicals and over time, they kill the finish on cars. He says the best thing to do is find a good car wash that uses high-quality washers and cleans the equipment regularly.

On a side note, the suggestion to bring your own bucket/supplies to a self-service bay is spot-on. If you can't wash at home, that's your best option by far.
I agree that it's not advisable to take it through any car wash, but given his situation I suggested the touchless rather than the spinning brushes. Even with the harsher chemicals I can't see how big spinning bristles that have touched a hundred cars a day would be better. Your info just makes me even more hesitant to do a drive through wash though, thanks for the insight.

I always wash by hand and recommend that route 100%, i'm not sure about other areas of the country, but here in Texas they're not that difficult to find.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:01 PM
cy7878

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We all love our cars.
But they key word here is "car".
I washed my car total of 5 time since I bought it last year, mostly because I left the car in a bad space and had tree saps all over the car.
I have no problem with dealer washing it thru whatever washer that is in the back.
I wax the car whenever rain drop won't bead, like every 4-5 months.
I have taken it to my local car wash, once. I would have no problem going back except it actually takes longer for them to wash than myself.

I had planned on keeping the car for 7 years. Now, honestly with all the new models due 2014..... I'm not so sure.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by cy7878
We all love our cars.
But they key word here is "car".
I washed my car total of 5 time since I bought it last year, mostly because I left the car in a bad space and had tree saps all over the car.
I have no problem with dealer washing it thru whatever washer that is in the back.
I wax the car whenever rain drop won't bead, like every 4-5 months.
I have taken it to my local car wash, once. I would have no problem going back except it actually takes longer for them to wash than myself.

I had planned on keeping the car for 7 years. Now, honestly with all the new models due 2014..... I'm not so sure.
And the key word here is "neglect".

But to your point... it's just a lawn, and I only mow it when my wife makes me.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
cy7878

Originally Posted by Rochester
And the key word here is "neglect".

But to your point... it's just a lawn, and I only mow it when my wife makes me.

All I know is that when it's time to sell my car, a quick wash and detail and it looks brand new. I've owned enough cars to know this to be a fact. It did take me a few years to realize a car is just a car.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

All I know is that when it's time to sell my car, a quick wash and detail and it looks brand new.

Here's the thing... this is a silly thread. We all know this is a silly thread. But for whatever reason, I put myself in the OP's shoes and tried to give some decent advice that would fit his situation and his priorities. You, on the other hand, chose to give the exact opposite response to what the OP was looking for, in some personal rationalization for why you're too lazy to wash your car. So I'm calling BS on you, cy7878.

Pity the next owner of your car, man, because you don't know how to pay it forward (with cars).

Last edited by Rochester; 04-19-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 PM
cy7878

Originally Posted by Rochester

Here's the thing... this is a silly thread. We all know this is a silly thread. But for whatever reason, I put myself in the OP's shoes and tried to give some decent advice that would fit his situation and his priorities. You, on the other hand, chose to give the exact opposite response to what the OP was looking for, in some personal rationalization for why you're too lazy to wash your car.

So I'm calling BS on you, cy7878.

Pity the next owner of your car, man, because you don't know how to pay it forward.

I'm not here to make enemies. I'm just putting things in perspective. Once "we" get fixated on the difference between machine wash, hand wash and waterless wash and how often to wash and who should wash it, it's really silly.

Having said that. My car is what I rely on to get to work. That actually is important. I have always meticulously maintained my car. above and beyond recommended schedule. I have the dealer service my car(s) and keep great records. I'm not kidding when I say when my car(s) were sold, they are in fact like new. There is a difference between looking great on the outside and having a great car on the inside. You know that.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
All I know is that when it's time to sell my car, a quick wash and detail and it looks brand new.
^ nope. vehicles are an investment, albeit a depreciating investment in most cases. years of neglect will certainly be evident and will impact potential resale values greatly. that's why most "blue book" type resources provide values based on condition. mechanical condition is a big factor, but so are cosmetics.

yes a car is just a car, but the satisfaction of owning and driving a well-cared for vehicle is important to some folks, particularly those who subscribe to online forums. the benefit is two-fold: you get to drive a great looking vehicle, and then when you go to sell it you get a premium return for it.

i'm not saying that a guy needs to go nuts and wax a car weekly, but washing by hand goes a long way to sustaining a good paint finish (along with an occasional polish/wax/sealant). take two cars after five years, one washed by hand and the other at automatic washes. you will be able to see the difference. need proof? look at 90% of cars on the road, and then put Rochester's G (or mine) next to any of them. which one looks "brand new"?

OP - sorry for off topic chat. i already gave my feedback earlier. i can also vouch for using bucket/mitt at the wand wash places - i've done that many times.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm not here to make enemies. I'm just putting things in perspective.
Your perspective, but very likely not the OP's. That's my point. The OP is looking for people who share his values to give him advice. Since you don't care if your mechanically maintained car is covered in bird poop and road tar, then your advice is off-target. And kind of weird, too.

There is a difference between looking great on the outside and having a great car on the inside. You know that.
+1 on that. Preaching to the choir.

Originally Posted by canucklehead
look at 90% of cars on the road, and then put Rochester's G (or mine) next to any of them. which one looks "brand new"?
Pick me! I hate to think I waxed my door jambs for nothing.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.