G37 Sedan

Rear View Mirror fell off again, windshield broken - Any ideas as to why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
JDUB916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear View Mirror fell off again, windshield broken - Any ideas as to why?

Hey all. I have a 2012 G37 Sedan that I bought in December of 2011 and about a month and a half after buying it, my rear view mirror fell off. When I went back to the dealership, I asked them if it could be due to my subwoofer but they didnt think so. They had their glass person reapply the rear view mirror with the proper glue, etc.

Now, about another month and a half after the first incident (just last week) I was sitting at a stop light and my rear view mirror fell off again, this time shattering the glass where it is attached to. I went back to the dealership again and they still don't think it could be due to my subwoofer and stated they havent seen this happen before, especially twice and how severe it was this time.

My car is currently at the dealership now getting the entire window replaced. My question is, have any of you seen this before? I am only running a MTX 9500 series DVC 12" subwoofer with a MTX 1501D amp in the MTX box made for it. It is a very good subwoofer, very strong and loud, however from doing Db drag races in my past (Stereo Bass Competitions) I wouldnt think that 1 subwoofer could cause this. What do you guys think?

Here are some pics of the most recent damage. Thanks, JDUB

Name:  51eef75f.jpg
Views: 3876
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  3b4b6abd.jpg
Views: 4008
Size:  53.9 KB
Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Dulanicki

A few years ago, a friend of my had an Intripid that had the similar problem. However, his windshield never cracked. The mirror would just fall off. We always thought it was bad glue. But I guess there could be some correlation.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Detail
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never, ever, ever seen that type of thing happen before because of 1 sub. Especially in the trunk of a large sedan.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 PM
surfjax87

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Weird. 1 sub shouldn't do that. On my old car the autodim mirror died and when I went to remove the old mirror, I chipped a piece similar to yours. Drove with the chip missing for almost 2 years without a problem. YMMV.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 PM
tman

Why try and give a dealer an excuse for not doing warranty repair. Its possible that they could have said "Yes, its your aftermarket sub" and not cover it. Even if it was, mirrors should not fall off. Good they covered it.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
When I saw the title of this thead, my initial thought was from a sub. It use to happen on one of my old cars. With that being said, it should have never fell off that quick. I'm guessing the glue was not allowed to set properly on your first repair, and a factory defect originally. Good luck with the next one
Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Originally Posted by JDUB916
They had their glass person reapply the rear view mirror with the proper glue, etc.
I'd like to try some of that glue, damn.
Maybe that piece of glass was defective, looks to me like the repair guy could have done a better job of distributing the glue over a larger bonding area too.
I think a new windshield will fix your problem permanently, assuming the mirror mount is pre-attached or something; (anything other than repeating the most recent procedure).
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 AM
JDUB916

Got a new windshield installed, they said the glass place used stronger adhesive. Just to ne clear the most recent time it shattered, I was just sitting at a red light bumpin and it fell and shattered
Old 04-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Maxpilot

That's from hitting the mirror hard (head or hand) and breaking it off. The person you bought it from tried to glue it back and the glue did not hold.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:35 PM
steez

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine fell off too with those stupid sun visor covers. I guess replacing windshield is best option. Any others ?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:13 PM
Productof79

Hey all. I have a 2012 G37 Sedan that I bought in December of 2011 and about a month and a half after buying it, my rear view mirror fell off. When I went back to the dealership, I asked them if it could be due to my subwoofer but they didnt think so. They had their glass person reapply the rear view mirror with the proper glue, etc.

Now, about another month and a half after the first incident (just last week) I was sitting at a stop light and my rear view mirror fell off again, this time shattering the glass where it is attached to. I went back to the dealership again and they still don't think it could be due to my subwoofer and stated they havent seen this happen before, especially twice and how severe it was this time.

My car is currently at the dealership now getting the entire window replaced. My question is, have any of you seen this before? I am only running a MTX 9500 series DVC 12" subwoofer with a MTX 1501D amp in the MTX box made for it. It is a very good subwoofer, very strong and loud, however from doing Db drag races in my past (Stereo Bass Competitions) I wouldnt think that 1 subwoofer could cause this. What do you guys think?

your windshield isn't sealed properly. I had the exact same thing happen to me with my chevy impala. When my subs would hit it would shake the mirror of no matter what type of adhesive I used. Eventually it cracked in the same spot as yours. When i got the windshield replaced I was told it was rusting where the windshied is sealed to the car. They cleaned out the rust, primed it, and installed a new windshield. The mirror never fell of again. I guess the windshield flexed more due to being loose.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:38 PM
Dholliy

Infinity FX35 mirror fell off broke windshield

The same thing happened to me with my Infiniti FX 35 wondering if there are others out there?

Attachment 173848

Attachment 173849