G37 Sedan

I'm on the fence...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 PM
weissbc07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on the fence...

Hey guys,

I know I have mentioned this before but I need to bring it up again. None of my friends are really into cars. I have an appointment on Wednesday to get 20% tint installed on my dark grey G37.

Here's the thing. I am a 23 year old entrepreneur. My parents feel it makes me look like a drug dealer because of my age and that my previous car was a G35 with dark tint.

My friends say it's my choice, etc etc. I do meet with clients a lot so they do see my car.

Would your opinion of someone change professionally if you saw they had tinted windows coupled with their young age? So torn! I also have bad anxiety and my car is like my comfort zone.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thankfully my client meetings never involve my car.

But if as you say you are an entrepreneur than you should know what to do because you should know your clients.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:36 PM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get it done! I would never look at a classy car like a G with dark tint and think drug dealer...unless you raised it and put 22" spinners on it, too.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Samurai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weissbc07
Hey guys,

I know I have mentioned this before but I need to bring it up again. None of my friends are really into cars. I have an appointment on Wednesday to get 20% tint installed on my dark grey G37.

Here's the thing. I am a 23 year old entrepreneur. My parents feel it makes me look like a drug dealer because of my age and that my previous car was a G35 with dark tint.

My friends say it's my choice, etc etc. I do meet with clients a lot so they do see my car.

Would your opinion of someone change professionally if you saw they had tinted windows coupled with their young age? So torn! I also have bad anxiety and my car is like my comfort zone.
Get the tints. 20% tints not even that dark and the G's windshield is very large compared to other cars that will illuminate the cabin during the day time. Don't worry too much about what other people think. Its your car customize it to your liking.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:43 PM
BuzzLY37

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
20% tint on a car = drug dealer??

you obviously dont live in a state that its scorching hot in the summer....

if your windows are tinted 1% then yes, more drug dealerish. Get it done, good for the look of the car, less UV exposure for skin cancer, and better for the leather.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do drug dealers still tint their cars? Wouldn't it make more sense that if every car that had darker tint was a drug dealer that they would not tint their windows.

I just had mine done with 20%, same color and it looks good. Black interior does make it darker.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:16 PM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I thought drug dealers drive civics or benzos. Always saw that contrast...
Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Weissbc07,
Your parents are coming from an adult viewpoint and I agree with them. As an entrepreneur you should give an impression of a responsible, reliable business person to your clients. But 20% tints, probably illegal in your state, are noticeable and can give the opposite impression.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Are we seriously talking about tint making someone look like a drug dealer? I can see the view point of older folks ok, but the rest of us...come on now. I'm 30, entrepreneur, deal with high end watches and jewelry. My clients include high end Jewelers and my clientele at our location, and not once has it been an issue. On the contrary I get compliments on the car all the time, and it is moded. Goes down to what u you want to do bud. Get it tinted enjoy the car, call it a day, my .02
Old 04-07-2012, 03:16 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Studies indicate that tinted car drivers tend to be more aggressive. - A driver in a convertible is more likely to feel constrained by social conventions concerning driving behavior than is a driver in an enclosed vehicle with darkly tinted windows. You will feel yourself behave more aggressively behind tinted windows. This explains well with the gangster perception.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Seraphix
Are we seriously talking about tint making someone look like a drug dealer? I can see the view point of older folks ok, but the rest of us...come on now. I'm 30, entrepreneur, deal with high end watches and jewelry. My clients include high end Jewelers and my clientele at our location, and not once has it been an issue. On the contrary I get compliments on the car all the time, and it is moded. Goes down to what u you want to do bud. Get it tinted enjoy the car, call it a day, my .02
In your case, handling expensive watches and jewelry, I can see a practicality of tints that prevent anyone from looking into your car. But for other occupational situations, the perception of a law breaker can be counterproductive to good business practices.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Seraphix

Originally Posted by Chekov
In your case, handling expensive watches and jewelry, I can see a practicality of tints that prevent anyone from looking into your car. But for other occupational situations, the perception of a law breaker can be counterproductive to good business practices.
I have a piece for practicality, not my tint lol. But point taken, I just feel like tint being equated to dealing or criminal activity is a little laughable. Just me...
Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Seraphix
I have a piece for practicality, not my tint lol. But point taken, I just feel like tint being equated to dealing or criminal activity is a little laughable. Just me...
No, the concern is legit, not just a perception. You would feel it yourself if you paid attention. It is study proved.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Seraphix

Whatever you say bud, guess I'm an OG.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by weissbc07
Hey guys,

First off, what is your state law and do you care? Second, if you are worried about the "ghetto" factor, then I suggest a 35% tint. Depending on your interior color, it could be darker or lighter than what it is. With graphite interior, it will look darker. It is still light enough so you can slightly see through the window. It gives it the classy look, IMO.