G37 Sedan

I'm on the fence...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 PM
jmueller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for the 20%. My parents said the same thing to me when I got my first car. Both my mom and dad explained that it drew negative attention to me while I drove. Additionally They called me a thug (jokingly) until they finally drove around with me in it. My mother was especially appreciative of how quickly the car cooled off after it had sat out in the sun for a while. Now that I have the G37, I went even darker (15%). Down here in south Florida it really is a necessity, not just for appearances.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I think it depends more on what else you do to your car. If you've got it slammed and all chromed or blacked-out combined w/ your dark tint that could send the wrong intent to your clients. An otherwise clean and not too aggressively modded G shouldn't have your clients judging you adversely, but only you really know your clients and their possible perceptions.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 PM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As others have stated, I think it's up to you to put yourself in the place of your clients/partners/customers shoes to imagine how they would perceive you along with your car.

Do you dress a certain way to imply the imagine of a drug dealer? How about the way you walk/talk/interact/etc. If all of these other aspects add up to that of a 'perceived drug dealer' than the 20% tint will fit right in with your other 'drug dealer' mannerisms.

Personally, I like 20% tint on a Graphite Shadow (Assuming that's your 'Dark Gray' color) but 35% would look classy too, esp assuming the rest of your G is stock.

Normally when I see another luxury car that is tinted I don't think 'Oh Drug Dealer', but rather think 'Wow that looks good'.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Nomad4g63

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weissbc07
Hey guys,

I know I have mentioned this before but I need to bring it up again. None of my friends are really into cars. I have an appointment on Wednesday to get 20% tint installed on my dark grey G37.

Here's the thing. I am a 23 year old entrepreneur. My parents feel it makes me look like a drug dealer because of my age and that my previous car was a G35 with dark tint.

My friends say it's my choice, etc etc. I do meet with clients a lot so they do see my car.

Would your opinion of someone change professionally if you saw they had tinted windows coupled with their young age? So torn! I also have bad anxiety and my car is like my comfort zone.
Hey I'm 24 and I drive around a G37 Blue Slat with 27% tints no problem. The hell with what people think, your car is not candy red on 24s, looking like TRICK DADDY selling dope. So tint it and get it over with

privacy> all

besides how u gonna get some action in the backseat with no tints and having an audiance lol
Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM
nrp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to admit it but in some way I can agree with what your parents are saying. I'm not sure what your profession is but I can see how it would make a difference in some ways.

I agree if you want to do it just do it, but if you truly believe that you're going to feel just a little bit concerned when you pull up to your clients with 20% tint, then its not worth it. No reason to add anything to take you off your A-game. If you think you wont even think twice about it when you pull up to them then just get it and enjoy your car.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Beer Magazine

No "Client" is going to have a problem with tint on your windows. If you did everything your parents said...you'd be driving a Buick and wearing the same clothes as them. To old people...everybody is a "drug dealer"
Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad4g63
besides how u gonna get some action in the backseat with no tints and having an audiance lol
Um....there is no back seat...least not much of one.

Op....do whatever you want. It's your ride. I got 35% on my OB coupe and I like it. 20% isn't my thing, but if you like it, go for it!!!!!

Pics when youre done though.

Good luck!!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:58 PM
weissbc07

Originally Posted by 00Max00
Studies indicate that tinted car drivers tend to be more aggressive. - A driver in a convertible is more likely to feel constrained by social conventions concerning driving behavior than is a driver in an enclosed vehicle with darkly tinted windows. You will feel yourself behave more aggressively behind tinted windows. This explains well with the gangster perception.
Exactly. That makes a lot of sense.

I guess my parents are from a different generation. They just feel that with me being young and always having flashy cars and clothing that the neighbors and relatives get the wrong idea when they see me visit. I guess if anyone takes the time to get to know me, they just know I've been busting my *** since I was a kid.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM
weissbc07

Originally Posted by MistAminER112
As others have stated, I think it's up to you to put yourself in the place of your clients/partners/customers shoes to imagine how they would perceive you along with your car.

Do you dress a certain way to imply the imagine of a drug dealer? How about the way you walk/talk/interact/etc. If all of these other aspects add up to that of a 'perceived drug dealer' than the 20% tint will fit right in with your other 'drug dealer' mannerisms.

Personally, I like 20% tint on a Graphite Shadow (Assuming that's your 'Dark Gray' color) but 35% would look classy too, esp assuming the rest of your G is stock.

Normally when I see another luxury car that is tinted I don't think 'Oh Drug Dealer', but rather think 'Wow that looks good'.
I dress typically in a black button down and jeans with black dress shoes. I just prefer to wear the color black, so almost all my button downs are that color, haha. I don't speak "ghetto", so I guess I should be fine with tint. I'm going to give it a few more days of thought.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Putting aside tints for the moment, if your business is with older people, I certainly would shy away from other turnoffs such as tattoos, pierced body parts, and not shaving for a few days. Now I know some of you youngsters will jump in and say it doesn’t matter, etc., but in fact in the real world it does.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Guys a first impression can be all you get with a client. Why risk a bad one? Yes some people don't see tint as a bad thing but others do. If you do a fairly dark tint you are going to alienate some of your clients, if you don't do any tint you will not alienate any. Enough said.

FYI, I won't even meet clients in my G as I don't want them to get the impression I make too much money off them.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
weissbc07

Originally Posted by Chekov
Putting aside tints for the moment, if your business is with older people, I certainly would shy away from other turnoffs such as tattoos, pierced body parts, and not shaving for a few days. Now I know some of you youngsters will jump in and say it doesn’t matter, etc., but in fact in the real world it does.
Originally Posted by Tazicon
Guys a first impression can be all you get with a client. Why risk a bad one? Yes some people don't see tint as a bad thing but others do. If you do a fairly dark tint you are going to alienate some of your clients, if you don't do any tint you will not alienate any. Enough said.

FYI, I won't even meet clients in my G as I don't want them to get the impression I make too much money off them.
Thanks guys - I appreciate your opinions. I agree. I don't have any tattoo's, I have a fresh shave, and I do deal with a lot of older clients who take all these things into consideration, especially since I'm a lot younger. Dressing and looking professional adds a lot to my offering. Tint might say the wrong thing to them. I know that several other family friends and business partners who are older who have equated dark tint with a more rough / punk / ghetto person.

I think I might shy away from the tint for now, maybe revisit it in a few months after I've given it more thought. Yes, I know it's a luxury sports car but I really do think the first impression is important.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Detail
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never heard of tint making a car owner look like a drug dealer. I guess the most important question that I haven't seen asked is, "what type of business are you in?" Older clients doesn't matter. Its all relative to the type of work you are in, and the image you are looking for those clients to see. Make sure those two are aligned.

Perhaps tint the back as dark as you'd like. And leave the front two windows legal...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
No "Client" is going to have a problem with tint on your windows. If you did everything your parents said...you'd be driving a Buick and wearing the same clothes as them. To old people...everybody is a "drug dealer"

^^^^^ This....

I wish you success my friend, however one quick statement and I'm out of your hair, i didn't get to where i am by playing it safe. Be yourself, be upright morally, and you'll do fine, trust me.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
When I was 30 I had very long hair. I cut my hair and with in 6 months my yearly income had doubled. Had I changed? No, but peoples impression of me did and it opened up far more opertunities for me.

Welcome to the real world.