G37 Sedan

After my first 3 months....review

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
After my first 3 months....review

Been driving my Malbec Black G37S since @Jan 1....here is my 3 month highlights and lowlights...

Pros in no real order..

1) Styling - still catches the eye. I've had several compliments on the color. I'll soon add the midnight black grille - I think all black or 'S' should have that grille. It's still a car that I look back to when I walk away from it. It's true it's been around for a few years - but IMO it is aging well.

2) Powertrain - I haven't experienced the trans issues that seem to plague the earlier years. The powertrain is quite flexible to me - pulling well from low RPM's and singing strong to 7000+ RPMs. The powertrain makes the car a willing partner in everything from cut/thrust of traffic to high speed passing maneuvers. I've barely used Sport mode or paddle shifters. Maybe I'll find more use for them in the coming months.

3) Suspension - the Sport suspension is just right for me. I like a firm, controlled ride. The S is perfect for me. In the non-sport, I occasionally feel some high-speed 'float' (especially with 4 on board). No so in the Sport.

4) Handling - coming from a 350ZR, the G37S really feels like a 4-door Z. Agile, capable, and confident. In fact - compared to that gen Z - even more capable and confident than it.

5) Brakes - sport brakes feel very 'Mercedes-like': firm pedal with deep reserves.

6) Electronics - everything is intuitive. The NAV works well. The Bluetooth streaming lets me listen to Pandora. Bluetooth connectivity in general is all smooth (my cell=Galaxy Nexus).

The so-so....

1) the Seats. I've become used to them. They are somewhat confining. They are either too narrow or I am too wide Maybe a little of both Honestly - as the miles pile on, I'm liking them better.

2) Exhaust. OK for a Sport-Lux sedan. I'd prefer just a LITTLE more bark - but I understand the compromise. I probably won't touch it - went the NISMO route on my 350 - LOVED the music above 3k rpm - wasn't too much of a fan below 3k - again, a compromise.

The cons....I only have one for now...

1) the Stereo. Sorry - not sure what the target was here....if they were trying for dull highs and muddy lows - SUCCESS! I admit it is better than the sound in my '06Z - but not quite as good as my '09 Murano. They could have done a better job with the sub - the rear parcel shelf is a perfect spot for one and would work well with a half-way decent woofer (and corresponding amp). Having said that - the head unit is operationally flawless - Music Box, Streaming Bluetooth, and XM are all nice additions. By the way - just renewed XM for 5 months for $35 - and that is with the Premium package.

Let me just say that the above is all my opinion. So far - I love the car. I look forward to driving it every day.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Nice write up, glad you enjoy it!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 AM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The seats never get better, they are too narrow and don't actually support....they just poke into your quads. I find them terrible, and when I just got another G in November it was the one thing that made me think about 13 times about not doing it.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I honestly love the bose in our cars. Can't believe you didnt like it. It's super clear with deep rich bass.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with the stereo...my moms 06 330xi has far better sound, not a fan of the sport seats much either. Also I feel like the perforated seats make the car seem dirtier than it really is.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The seats are very comfortable for me. I like the Bose unit. My tranny can be slightly harsh, but I don't have the hesitation noted in other threads.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really loving my 12 Sedan S - 7AT, but man is it a rattle trap with only 800 miles!

Rear Shelf rattle
Rear Shelf knocking
Center Console creak (way down under the shifter, not the shifter trim)
Sunroof pop

Grrrr....hate to start diagnosis of rattles in a 2 week old car. Hate even more having the dealer do it, tell me they can't hear it, and scratch trim pieces in the meantime.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 AM
roydotmp3

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Really loving my 12 Sedan S - 7AT, but man is it a rattle trap with only 800 miles!

Rear Shelf rattle
Rear Shelf knocking
Center Console creak (way down under the shifter, not the shifter trim)
Sunroof pop

Grrrr....hate to start diagnosis of rattles in a 2 week old car. Hate even more having the dealer do it, tell me they can't hear it, and scratch trim pieces in the meantime.
Same problems with center console creaking (thought it was coming from the cup holder, wrong)

The only thing I don't like about my 12 Sedan S is the transmission. Coming from a 04 Maxima, I would've liked to see a smoother transmission..
7AT > 5AT
Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Mike S.

I think you mean 5AT > 7AT LOL
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 AM
roydotmp3

I think you mean 5AT > 7AT LOL
I'm not sure if you're familiar with 6th Gen Maximas, but they were notorious for their faulty transmission.
Horrible slippage, slamming into gears, harsh downshifts... it was brutal.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
The cons....I only have one for now...

1) the Stereo. Sorry - not sure what the target was here....if they were trying for dull highs and muddy lows - SUCCESS! I admit it is better than the sound in my '06Z - but not quite as good as my '09 Murano. They could have done a better job with the sub - the rear parcel shelf is a perfect spot for one and would work well with a half-way decent woofer (and corresponding amp). Having said that - the head unit is operationally flawless - Music Box, Streaming Bluetooth, and XM are all nice additions. By the way - just renewed XM for 5 months for $35 - and that is with the Premium package.
Make sure your "Driver's Audio Stage" is set to "ON".
Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Mike S.

Originally Posted by roydotmp3
I'm not sure if you're familiar with 6th Gen Maximas, but they were notorious for their faulty transmission.
Horrible slippage, slamming into gears, harsh downshifts... it was brutal.
Ohh I thought you meant you didn't like the 7AT when compared to the 5AT in you're Maxima.

Seems like around here, the 5AT in the 07-08 G35 was flawless (except for a bit of gas hound).
Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
OP, I've had my car for exactly 2 months now. It wasn't brand new when I picked it up, but then it did only have < 4000 miles on it, so new enough. Broken in, anyway. Although I'd probably have a few 6MT observations to add, your assessment seems spot-on.

I'd like to add, that although the seats seemed a little too stiff for my taste initially, I've since acclimated to them, and come to appreciate the grip.

All in all, Sportscar. It just happens to have 4 doors.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I have no creeks no noises what so ever....................Knock on wood. I keep listening for them as I will take it to the dealership if I hear them.

Oh and I love the way the sports seats "hug" you. I guess since I am only 170# they fit me well. I have never understood the complaints about them. My wife at 105# loves them as well. I have yet to have a complaint from anyone except for one friend that is a BIG boy.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM
roydotmp3

Ohh I thought you meant you didn't like the 7AT when compared to the 5AT in you're Maxima.

Seems like around here, the 5AT in the 07-08 G35 was flawless (except for a bit of gas hound).
04-06 Maximas did not have the CVT's, 07-08 did..