G37 Sedan
View Poll Results: What is the best exhaust for a G37 Sedan?
Ark GRiP
28.40%
Stillen
20.99%
Fast Intentions
38.27%
Tanabe
14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Best exhaust for Sedan.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
TheAmazingNik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I talked to my exhaust guy and he suggested putting some magna flow mufflers on the end so I did that, (stock piping) and it wasn't loud at all. So I took it back and had him cut off the resonators (stock) and now it sounds deep and purs the best description is a grown up louder version of the exhaust note on the old G35s.

When I get on it it sounds like a dinosaur, pretty bad a$$. It was dirt cheap to do it too, because the exhaust systems are only going to get you some tiny amount of horses so exhaust on a G is mainly for the sound. Stainless steel round tips look amazing on the sedans too! Good luck
Old 05-30-2012, 06:21 PM
GeoS2K

Originally Posted by qpham45
When you say the best system what is it that you mean? All the systems are good exhaust systems it just depends on what it is you are looking for. Most of them offer the same performance gains if not very close. Aesthetic wise is very subjective to the individual. As for me I have had Stillen and Invidia. My preference would be Invidia due to the fact that is the most quiet system out of all the systems for the sedan with probably Fast Intentions and Tanabe coming in next. The Stillen system were just too loud for my taste and it didnt help the fact that i had HFCs installed which only made the cabin noise louder.
Sorry for bumping this old thread. You mentioned the Invidia. I have find a few post saying the Invidia is pretty quiet. I have owned Invidia systems in the past in other cars and they are loud. Is the Invidia Q300 the one you are referring to?

The Invidia is pretty well priced and most importantly available so I'm considering it. I am looking for the quietest true dual for G37 RWD Sedan.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Schulminator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My individa q300 will be here on Monday and will install on Friday night or sat morning.
I'm in Winter Park area if you would like to here it on an 09 sedan.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 PM
R3diK3r0u5

I love my ARK! by far the best note for the VQ, but it is decently loud and you have to be careful with what cat replacements you use. BERK for instance is notorious for rasp when paired with the ARK GRIP.

imo, the best setup for the sedan is ART pipes + ARK GRIP
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
I love my new MXP Full Cat back I installed a few weeks ago. Quiet at cruising speeds with an awesome note in the low gears and high rpms. Picked it from Lou@Amplified!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 AM
PENROSE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How hard is it to replace the cats? I'm pretty sure I can install the catback myself. But I can't do the cats I don't think. How much would a shop charge me to swap the cats?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Originally Posted by PENROSE
How hard is it to replace the cats? I'm pretty sure I can install the catback myself. But I can't do the cats I don't think. How much would a shop charge me to swap the cats?
Not hard at all. My buddy and I did it pretty fast. Just make sure you spray the bolts the night before so you don't end up breaking them...lol we broke 1 off. I didn't spray the bolts the night before. Buy some of this PB Blaster to make your job easier. GLWP

Old 05-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by PENROSE
Think in terms of labor hours. Since the cats are pretty straight forward and accessible (with a car lift), a shop with skills should be in and out in under an hour. That said... be prepared for 2 hours. With a charge anywhere from $60 - $90 per hour, figure an end-cost averaging $150.

Every shop is different, so this is all just reasonable guesswork. But it's also not a difficult thing to figure out. The easiest thing would be to call your mechanic and ask.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 PM
RhiNoKiLL

Ive owned Stillen, FI, and ARK. I tried stillen and ark with and without berks hfc.

Stillen without hfc - will please enthusiast who wants about 25% louder and deeper during idle and light loads with a nice purr. WOT = Sex Quality 8/10 Fitment 10/10 Customer service 9/10

Ark without hfc - will please ricers who wants about 60% louder, raspier, deeper, during idle and light loads with a deeper "hallow" purr if that makes sense. WOT = blow job Quality 6/10 Fitment 4/10 Customer service 1/10

FI without hfc - will please husbands that are afraid of their wives who are only allowed 15% louder during all times. WOT = hand job Quality 8/10 (but they use magnaflow ****....) Fitment 8/10 Customer service 10/10

Stillen + hfc = Orgasm... twice
Ark + hfc = GO BACK TO RICEVILLE
FI + hfc = idk i didnt bother trying, it went from 12 to 6 real quick

Your welcome. sorry if it didnt make sense im blasted
Old 06-01-2012, 12:00 AM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL
Ive owned Stillen, FI, and ARK. I tried stillen and ark with and without berks hfc.

Stillen without hfc - will please enthusiast who wants about 25% louder and deeper during idle and light loads with a nice purr. WOT = Sex Quality 8/10 Fitment 10/10 Customer service 9/10

Ark without hfc - will please ricers who wants about 60% louder, raspier, deeper, during idle and light loads with a deeper "hallow" purr if that makes sense. WOT = blow job Quality 6/10 Fitment 4/10 Customer service 1/10

FI without hfc - will please husbands that are afraid of their wives who are only allowed 15% louder during all times. WOT = hand job Quality 8/10 (but they use magnaflow ****....) Fitment 8/10 Customer service 10/10

Great post and not only because it was somewhat comical, but because you actually have experience and opinions germane to the completely subjective question posed by the OP.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:07 AM
RhiNoKiLL

I forgot.... Ark + hfc = drone all day
Old 06-01-2012, 12:28 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

So here's what I got...just incase anyone was wondering...fit and finish are a 10!

Name:  mxpseda.jpg
Views: 3287
Size:  65.1 KB
Old 06-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL

Blasted, LOL!

This is a fantastic post. Based on all this, it reads like HFC's are only appealing with OEM or Stillen Exhausts.

Yes? No? I wonder why that is?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:14 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rochester
Blasted, LOL!

This is a fantastic post. Based on all this, it reads like HFC's are only appealing with OEM or Stillen Exhausts.

Yes? No? I wonder why that is?
Most aftermarket exhausts lack the resonating qualities of the stock OEM systems to eliminate the rasp frequencies. This is not just on G's, but almost any car.

I had a test pipe on my VW GTI and kept the stock catback, which kept away rasp and it had a nice throaty sound to it. However anyone with a test pipe or HFC who also had an aftermarket catback would have a ton of rasp and drone.

My goal would be to really only replace the cats (get HFCs) for the power benefit, and keep the OEM catback. However I've seen some people on here who claim HFCs with the OEM still has rasp on the G. Not sure about that...I guess I would have to see for myself.

I am one of those who wants a quality, classy system (not too loud). Just enough sound to increase enjoyment of my car and actually increase performance. Definitely don't want to attract unwanted attention or decrease the luxury factor of the car.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by jepva
I am one of those who wants a quality, classy system (not too loud). Just enough sound to increase enjoyment of my car and actually increase performance. Definitely don't want to attract unwanted attention or decrease the luxury factor of the car.
I respect what you want out of an exhaust, but c'mon... the G37 is not a luxury car. Not by a long shot.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for Sedan.