Originally Posted by Black Betty
Thank you.
Well, shut my mouth!!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 PM
R3diK3r0u5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this thread is full of win

i had no idea so many people misunderstood the concept of de-badging
obviously it is a preference thing, but it is equally as obvious that none of us are embarrassed to be driving an infiniti...

originally i did it to clean up the look but now I also kinda see it as a way of de-branding the car. In the process of making the vehicle my own and making upgrades I don't really see it as a G35 anymore, she's Raichyl.

good luck putting the letters back on; I like trying to tackle things myself also. In for pics of the finish job!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
erick_G

in for pics of the rebadge attemp!

good luck
Old 03-09-2012, 02:17 AM
yevi

Pics as promised... if anyone wants better pics let me know. I think it came out fine.
Attached Thumbnails Re-badging-mvc-001f-2-.jpg  

Last edited by yevi; 03-22-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by yevi
Pics as promised... if anyone wants better pics let me know. I think it came out fine.
Came out great, now all you have to do is get this thread deleted so there will be no evidence you ever did such a thing
Those guys that give your lease a final inspection do troll these forums
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It honestly looks much better than I thought it would. Kudos!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,675 Likes on 3,495 Posts
The letters themselves still look clean and undamaged. It's nice to know they can be removed and re-applied, although likely with a lot of care and patience... which the OP seems to have.

But the gap between the "F" and the "I" is very inconsistent with most of the lettering gap. Nobody sees that? The first 4 letters need to be adjusted. It's pretty obvious.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
ohsogood

Originally Posted by Rochester
But the gap between the "F" and the "I" is very inconsistent with most of the lettering gap. Nobody sees that? The first 4 letters need to be adjusted. It's pretty obvious.
Now that you say it and I look at the picture second time around, I do notice what you are saying.
Good eye.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
No nobody is going to notice when he turns it in. It will be fine.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Originally Posted by yevi
If you are capable of better pics, then why not shoot & post them in the first place??
I expected macro close ups and a couple of them should have been from an extreme angle to check on the adhesive used. Although I doubt the inspection would include this close of an examination of the emblems to determine whether they'd been removed and re-applied, if I was looking for evidence of this personally, I would be looking at it with my eyes about 1 foot away and from a 45 degree angle to check for excess or missing adhesive & the precision of the cuts on the edge of the adhesive.
With the pics posted so far, I cannot give anything more than a vague opinion, which would be about the same as not seeing any pics at all, but just an expectation of mediocrity.
IMO, even mediocrity would pass inspection, only because I doubt they check for this, but the next owner or one of his/her friends/family would notice something not right, eventually.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Whereas I agree with BB on his last post, there still is a strong argument for not debadging in many cases. Over in the Lexus forum some have been accused of debadged their IS250 badge so other drivers may think it’s a more powerful IS350. And not that anyone would admit it here, but taking off the G37 (Journey) badge could be to have it pass as a sport model. And then there’s the “under-badging” contingent who will just replace Infiniti badging with Nissan Skyline badging for reasons I still don’t understand.
Those type of guys are douchebags.

Debadging isn't falsely rebadging. I mean if they took off the 250 and stuck a 350, or added an S to a Journey, the people doing that would be silly, but to be condescending to other car owners because they think they're superior, is just stupid. I didn't buy the 37S to impress people, I got it because I wanted the sport package.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by forrmark
Why did you remove the Infiniti letters? Are you ashamed of driving an Infiniti?
I have the same question.
Also, likely a violation of the terms of the lease to alter the external appearance of a leased car.

I you want to make changes to a car, for heavens sake buy the damn thing so you can do as you please. Remember, a leased car is owned by someone else - have some respect.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:58 PM
yevi

I see the gap between the F and I... Its not perfect but its a lease return and I think its sufficient. The way they treat the cars after they receive them and the way I have treated it the past three years, I am still gonna be miles ahead of them. I debadged in the first place simply because I thought the trunk looked too crowded and I liked the simpler look, nothing to do with being proud or ashamed... Also I had two two inch scratches on the top right corner of the trunk and they decided to charge me $200 which I thought was absurd so I don't care enough to make it perfect. I don't particularly want to take more pics but if someone else requests them I will. With a close up at an angle you will see missing adhesive behind the lettering...
Old 03-09-2012, 01:38 PM
yevi

I need 30 more posts so I can post a few things in the classifieds... someone start a new and interesting thread or post haha.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Those type of guys are douchebags.

Debadging isn't falsely rebadging. I mean if they took off the 250 and stuck a 350, or added an S to a Journey, the people doing that would be silly, but to be condescending to other car owners because they think they're superior, is just stupid. I didn't buy the 37S to impress people, I got it because I wanted the sport package.
I agree that such actions are shameful. But I wasn’t talking about adding false badging, rather, the absence of badging to suggest a different model. I wonder if some observers, not knowing much about cars in general, may look at a debadged car and think that’s the reason they did it. So instead of observing the rear of a debadged car and saying, “That car has a nice, clean look,” may think, “There goes a phony trying to hide something.”

Quick Reply: Re-badging