G37 Sedan

Re-badging

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 AM
yevi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I didn't expect so many posts here haha. Thanks for the measurements Harry. To clarify a few things; I am using the old letters and I did clean them when I took them off originally. I believe I can do a good enough job, I will posts pics since there is so much interest in a few days.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Thank you.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
To those of you who love your debadged cars, as discussed in prior threads, many salesmen who sell used cars will tell you that a debadged used car often sells for less because prospective buyers may assume the prior owner was a youngster who had aggressive driving habits, added troublesome mods and didn’t really take good care of the car due to limited funds to do so. It’s subjective of course, but those sorts of things do some into play when selling used cars.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Many of those points are often true for a guy in your circumstance Chekov. However in my particular case I am 42 so not a kid, I do drive aggressively at times, I take far better care of my car than most owners, I know that few mods mods add value to a car as far as dealership resale value (I don't know of anyone that mods it with that in mind), and the whole point of not having funds to take care of the car is just silly on its face. How does a person who commits to spends thousands (often many thousands) of dollars on mods have "limited funds to do so" when it comes to maintenance? That seems ludicrous as well as contradictory. At any rate, I plan to keep my car for a long time. If/when I sell it, it will be to a private owner because trade in value is for suckers. I think a great number of people who mod their cars do this as well. Another enthusiast who can appreciate the mods on my car will pay a little more for that car than a stock one that still has "INFINITI" lettering on the trunk. A guy like you who's not into modding is more likely to trade it or sell it to a dealership where an unmodded car will net you a couple hundred dollars more than one that's modded.

Not to mention that if done correctly the lettering can be put back exactly like it was for minimal cost if that's important for trading it in. You didn't think they roll off of the assembly like with those letters stuck on there, did you?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^ I think upper post made a good point

What's the reason to mod those letters? dont you proud to be an owner of a luxury brand?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
JMP0323

AH HA HA HA, LOL @ this thread's responses and what it has turned into.

Good Luck OP w/ the re-badge. May the force be with you.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

BB,
I was careful to word my post in generalities. Certainly there are exceptions, including your car. I’m sure you take excellent care of it. But I was talking about someone else’s car that ends up in, let’s say, an Infiniti dealer’s used car lot where the previous owner(s) is unknown. Let’s assume they’ll be two G37 coupes side by side, one debadged and the other stock. I believe the buyer will most likely pass on the debadged one for the reasons previously mentioned.

And based on many threads on this forum, there are quite a few younger members, e.g., college students with limited or non-existent bank accounts who cannot follow the recommended maintenance schedule. At $300-$400 a pop for let’s say a 15K mile service, my contention that they will skip it not silly at all.

I’m talking about perceptions here, whether valid or not. That’s all I’m saying, and I’ll bet most used car salesmen would back me up. That’s why the Infiniti dealer where the OP’s leased car will be returned will insist the badges be put back before they re-sell it.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Ive had many debadged cars turned into my lot and have never had a problem selling them. I have also had modded cars and they sell faster then the stock ones. Maybe it depends on your demographic but Bay Area people love distinctive vehicles. Granted most people who have bought these are younger kids who can't afford a new one and then see the value in not having to spend money on modifications right out the gate. Another quick note on that, if you are buying a modded Infiniti from an Infiniti store chances are the car is in good shape, passed all inspections and is a proper car top purchase, from a used car lot with ballons and banners, probably not such a great idea.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
^ I think upper post made a good point

What's the reason to mod those letters? dont you proud to be an owner of a luxury brand?
The main reason for debadging is to clean up the look of the tail. I'm not a fan of total debadging as I really think the Infiniti Mt Fuji logo is one of the nicest looking badges in the industry, plus it means something rather than just an "H" or an "L". But I understand why some go badgeless and some like yourself prefer the factory look.

People will still know you're driving an Infiniti, at least people that appreciate cars, don't really understand why you think cleaning up the tail means that you're somehow not proud of owning an Infiniti. I doubt anyone that knows cars would suddenly think your debadged G would now be seen as an Altima, but whatever, it's all good IMO.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
Ive had many debadged cars turned into my lot and have never had a problem selling them. I have also had modded cars and they sell faster then the stock ones. Maybe it depends on your demographic but Bay Area people love distinctive vehicles. Granted most people who have bought these are younger kids who can't afford a new one and then see the value in not having to spend money on modifications right out the gate. Another quick note on that, if you are buying a modded Infiniti from an Infiniti store chances are the car is in good shape, passed all inspections and is a proper car top purchase, from a used car lot with ballons and banners, probably not such a great idea.
Good points coming straight from a car salesman. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

There's a case to be made for debadging and for not debadging. I didn't debadge mine for a couple of years. It grew on me so I tried it out to see if I liked the look. I really do ( I debadged all lettering and just left the Fuji logo). It's not because I don't want people to know the brand of car I drive. But then I don't really care what others think of my car, I mod for me and not for others. Debadging for me isn't about hiding the brand of the car I drive. It's about a clean uncluttered look and flowing lines of the rear of the car. I guess people who are completely against debadging may also be fine with a tacky looking (IMO) dealership badge on the trunk or license plate frame. Just not my style. But I don't belittle those who like them.

I can see both sides of this and respect both viewpoints.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Whereas I agree with BB on his last post, there still is a strong argument for not debadging in many cases. Over in the Lexus forum some have been accused of debadged their IS250 badge so other drivers may think it’s a more powerful IS350. And not that anyone would admit it here, but taking off the G37 (Journey) badge could be to have it pass as a sport model. And then there’s the “under-badging” contingent who will just replace Infiniti badging with Nissan Skyline badging for reasons I still don’t understand.

At any rate, it still makes sense to me that in spite of anecdotal comments on this web site where the vast majority are those who like to mod and/or change the appearance of their vehicles and support and are loyal to such adaptions, that in general, out there in the real world where most cars are not modded, the average buyer considers debadged cars a possible problem and will avoid them. Of course, it’s really hard to prove because most Infiniti dealers will make sure the badges are put back before they sell them. Hmm, perhaps that is proof in itself of my position.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

On a side note related to those Lexus IS250 / IS350 models: I was considering a 350 before I went with a G. One of the many reasons I chose the G was that the Lexus badges would have required body work to fill the alignment holes in the trunk lid that would be exposed once the badges were removed.
So, one more reason why it's done, simply because we can, without the bodywork needed to complete the job.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
My issue with looking at a debadged car on a lot is it makes me wonder if the car has had paint work. I've seen a lot of cars missing badges or them in the wrong place listed online, one of my first questions is always was there an accident. Not saying you can't have a nice debadged look, but it does raise my suspicions like Chekov says. I don't think I wouldn't buy a car based upon the badges being missing though, there are much more important things in my book and the badges can always be put on by the dealer if you ask I'm sure.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,675 Likes on 3,495 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
My issue with looking at a debadged car on a lot is it makes me wonder if the car has had paint work.
Good point. I don't think enthusiast, I think paint job. Only in the context of a car enthusiast community would you think otherwise.

OAN, I saw a Hyundai Equus the other day and even though it was badged (sort of), it still took me a while to figure out it was a Hyundai.

Quick Reply: Re-badging