G37 Sedan

Re-badging

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Ra_
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Doesn't seem like an odd request to me. It's a question of the re-badge job itself. How close can a DIY look compared to a factory install. Not how a rebadge looks, that's obvious.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
What will the dealer do if you turn in your lease with a de-badged trunk?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by WPPJR30
What will the dealer do if you turn in your lease with a de-badged trunk?
They will charge you the cost of the lettering and the labor to replace it.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I didn't think it was odd at all. Have any of you ever seen what the results look like when someone tries to put used lettering back on the car after it was removed? I haven't. I want to know if it can be done. I have a thought on what it might look like, but I don't know for sure because I've never seen anyone do it and I am not the guy to try it myself. But if OP is willing to give it a try, I'd like to see the result. How is that odd?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
why would you wanna debadge a nice car i just dont understand
I left the Mt fuji emblem on the back, all the other lettering just gets in the way of the "clean look". It's also a PITA to clean after waxing around those damn letters
People will still know it's a nice car
Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,728 Likes on 3,533 Posts
Re-badging a de-baged, leased car and finding people all interested in how good (or poor) of a job the OP does... that doesn't strike anyone as odd?

If he does the job well, it will look exactly as it did originally, which is in of itself an unremarkable thing. If he does the job poorly, it's not like he's going to post pictures of a half-azz job so that people can mock him.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I know what a car looks like debadged. Mine is. What I want to see is what the result looks like when someone tries to put the same letters that they have debadged back onto a car. I want to see the result of how that works out.
I don't think he is reusing the letters, by the way he's asking for measurements.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
why would you wanna debadge a nice car i just dont understand

Because only pickups have the name across the middle of the back!!

I left my Mt Fuji, and G37S

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming that the OP was talking about re-using the old letters...:

If a new replacement emblem is purchased, it comes with some type of template that holds all the separate letters at the correct distance and some type of reference to help locate the whole series in the right place.
Even more difficult with re-using the old ones would be getting the right type of double sided adhesive and putting it on the old letters. Cutting the edges of this new adhesive with the same precision of the OEM ones would be tedious and very difficult.
This is of course after you've cleaned off all traces of the old adhesive from the old letters, which just adds to the time consuming & tedious work.
It's Just Not Worth It.

And this is not something anybody is going to do for the first time ever and have it looking exactly as it did originally, it's simply not gonna happen, not with the old letters.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,728 Likes on 3,533 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
If a new replacement emblem is purchased, it comes with some type of template that holds all the separate letters at the correct distance and some type of reference to help locate the whole series in the right place.

Even more difficult with re-using the old ones would be getting the right type of double sided adhesive and putting it on the old letters. Cutting the edges of this new adhesive with the same precision of the OEM ones would be tedious and very difficult.

This is of course after you've cleaned off all traces of the old adhesive from the old letters, which just adds to the time consuming & tedious work.

It's Just Not Worth It.
Finally, a sensible post. Even if you could get the spacing right, applying thick, double-sided tape cut appropriately on the back of each letter would take serious patience. The only way to be certain of doing it right would be to buy the lettering kit, and apply it all at once...

...in which case, what do you think the "after" pics are going to look like? Anybody?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

^^^ What he said. OP said he lost a paper with the measurements of the letters, not a template for new letters so that says to me he is reusing the old letters. Even thought it seems thoroughly amazing to some, I'd love to see if that project can be done and come out looking good enough for him to not get charged for replacing them at lease end. I debadged and used a heat gun for removing the letters so most of them are bent or deformed in some way. If his are still intact and he can pull off putting them back on straight, even, and in the exact right spot it'll be great to see someone accomplish it becasue it hasn't been done on this forum before, or at least not reported.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
^^^ What he said. OP said he lost a paper with the measurements of the letters, not a template for new letters so that says to me he is reusing the old letters. Even thought it seems thoroughly amazing to some, I'd love to see if that project can be done and come out looking good enough for him to not get charged for replacing them at lease end. I debadged and used a heat gun for removing the letters so most of them are bent or deformed in some way. If his are still intact and he can pull off putting them back on straight, even, and in the exact right spot it'll be great to see someone accomplish it becasue it hasn't been done on this forum before, or at least not reported.
I bought a set of INFINITI letters, they did not come with centering instructions, but they did come pre-spaced in a foam block.

Just align up from the bottom, left from the edge. Level, and bobs your uncle.

Thats why he asked for the 2 distances.

I might be wrong!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I see. I thought they came with a template for positioning because that's what I'd read.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Guad

im not looking forward to putting the badges back on mine. i love how it looks de-badged.

here is a quick pic i snapped of mine

Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Downat70

Leave um off. They're not going to do anything. lol. I bagged my lease. Sold the stock wheels, and re did the headliner. hahaha (I hope they're not going to do anything!)

Quick Reply: Re-badging