G37 Sedan

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I'll say this here, as I do in ALL the other threads about Infiniti vs BMW (or any other brand) . Some of you need to accept the fact that the BMW (and there are other cars in the world) that is better than your precious G. Just because you have one, you shouldn't defend it with your life. I have one, but I am not afraid to admit that there are better cars out there. I bought the G ONLY for the price. Yes, it is a better value. But is it a better car than a BMW (or Audi, as I have experienced with)? No. But will it do for the price/value? Yes. If I didn't care about value or price, I would have gotten an Audi S4 or 335 (or 328 now). My 2.0T A3 was a little slower, but it was still fast enough for the everyday drive, with DSG. Better tranny, better handling, better steering, better seats, better build quality/materials, feels more solid in every way. I got the G because I wanted something bigger and more "mature" looking. And for the price, that was pretty much the only choice.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g37guy01
They are better at the intended mission, to say otherwise is to admit: "Denial is just another river in Egypt". You may decide based on your priorities the 3 series is not the best car for you, which is an entirely different conversation.
Even if they're better at their intended mission, how does that make Infinitis worse cars if Infinitis are better at THEIR intended mission which can be different from BMW's mission?

If the mission is to build the ultimate driving machine but neglect the price, interior, reliability, sure 335i wins (but even then 320i and 328i failed to achieve this mission). If the mission is to build a all-around sports sedan that is reasonably priced, fun to drive, well equipped with good interior, reliable, then G37 wins (perhaps not the best in its class but beats 335i).

I'm sorry but your argument doesn't work. It's like saying a car sucks at towing, and a bus sucks at racing.

By the way I don't defend my G to death. It's got issues, it's got problems here and there but at least I don't tell others that the problem has been fixed or will be fixed in the next generation. However, it's never left me stranded on the side of the road. I had a Mazda and I don't defend Mazda at all.

I'm trying to be neutral and say every car has its target market segment which it is intended for, but it is some of you BMW fans that just wouldn't get it. Why do they have to be so insecure about their purchases and beat others to death until they admit that BMWs are better cars? I bought my Infiniti G37 because I love it and it's most suitable for me. I love an Audi TT and BMW Z4 as well but unfortunately I need a vehicle that meets the requirement of a G (not price), simple as that. In fact, I wouldn't recommend my friends to get an Infiniti if it's not right for them.

Last edited by devil2k; 03-06-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, this is a G forum. Obviously people here think the G is the best choice out there and that's why they own a G.

Put in any brands here,

Infiniti vs ____________

People will mostly defend the G here.

Lexus, LOL it's slow and boring. Oh and it's a beefed up Toyota.
Acura, ugly.
BMW, over priced and only *******s drive it.
Audi, over priced, under powered, unreliable.
MB, too old

I too loved the G when I just got it. Over the years the honeymoon has gone. I realized the flaws of the G. I'm starting to grow tired of it. Bad low-end torque, sluggish 7AT. I can live with the dash and doors rattling and the seat bubbles. But when the G was advertised as a performance sedan, it felt like driving a heavy tank in stop and go traffic, while getting 16MPG or less. When my lease ends, I will be on my journey to search for a better car for me. So far the 3 looks like a top choice.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by devil2k
Even if they're better at their intended mission, how does that make Infinitis worse cars if Infinitis are better at THEIR intended mission which can be different from BMW's mission?

If the mission is to build the ultimate driving machine but neglect the price, interior, reliability, sure 335i wins (but even then 320i and 328i failed to achieve this mission). If the mission is to build a all-around sports sedan that is reasonably priced, fun to drive, well equipped with good interior, reliable, then G37 wins (perhaps not the best in its class but beats 335i).

I'm sorry but your argument doesn't work. It's like saying a car sucks at towing, and a bus sucks at racing.

By the way I don't defend my G to death. It's got issues, it's got problems here and there but at least I don't tell others that the problem has been fixed or will be fixed in the next generation. However, it's never left me stranded on the side of the road. I had a Mazda and I don't defend Mazda at all.

I'm trying to be neutral and say every car has its target market segment which it is intended for, but it is some of you BMW fans that just wouldn't get it. Why do they have to be so insecure about their purchases and beat others to death until they admit that BMWs are better cars? I bought my Infiniti G37 because I love it and it's most suitable for me. I love an Audi TT and BMW Z4 as well but unfortunately I need a vehicle that meets the requirement of a G (not price), simple as that. In fact, I wouldn't recommend my friends to get an Infiniti if it's not right for them.
The mission is part of a category of vehicles knows an ELLPS. If these cars weren't direct competitors this thread wouldn't exist. The fact that this thread exists shows these cars as competitors.

Since they are competitors, it is natural to compare objectively measured performance attributes along with subjective impressions. These cars target markets are the same person, but you Infiniti fans don't get it. Why do you guys have to be insecure about your purchase?

I clearly did not say the BMW is the better car FOR YOU. I said the BMW is the better sports sedan after the objective and subjective criteria are applied.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Igorsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this nice
Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
The G37 can also go into limp mode in a few short minutes without a tranny cooler. Neither car is meant to be flogged at the track.

Infiniti has to keep up, the 3.6L engine is a dinosaur at this point in time.

I ran my G on the track before doing any cooling upgrades. Yes it did go into limp mode but that was far from a few minutes in. It hit on the 5th session which was about 2 hours into tracking.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't we all just get along???

The G and the BMW are both good cars; both have their strong points and both have their weak points.

When I purchased my G, I was down to the BMW and the G as my choices. The things that swayed me to the G were:

1. Reliability - I have always had better reliability with any Japanese cars over other makes of cars I've owned in the last 32 years.

2. Cost - I felt I got more for the money.

3. Size - The G has a little more room, which for me is a plus because I take customers out from time to time.

The BMW is a great car and many things do seem a little better:

1. Handling - The car seems to feel like more of a "drivers" car. Isn't that what BMW is all about?

2. Interior - I felt like it had better seats over all, but I didn't care for the dash layout.

3. Solid - The car felt more solid to me, as well as quiet.

In the end I bought the G because at this time it felt better for my needs. I really would like a 335, or a 5 series at some point. Who knows, maybe I will do that on my next auto purchase?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll take that under advisement.DOMO
Seriously, if you don't like the G and prefer the BMW, that's perfectly fine of course, to each their own.

But to have the handle g37guy01, on an Infiniti forum, and consistently laud the Bimmer while lamenting the G is just poor form, IMO.

You like the BMW, awesome, why not frequent the BMW forums? Hanging out here, with the opinions you hold, is just asking for argument. If that's your intent... well, then... go on wit'cha bad self.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mission is part of a category of vehicles knows an ELLPS. If these cars weren't direct competitors this thread wouldn't exist. The fact that this thread exists shows these cars as competitors.

Since they are competitors, it is natural to compare objectively measured performance attributes along with subjective impressions. These cars target markets are the same person, but you Infiniti fans don't get it. Why do you guys have to be insecure about your purchase?

I clearly did not say the BMW is the better car FOR YOU. I said the BMW is the better sports sedan after the objective and subjective criteria are applied.
Right, so Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedan is the category. The problem is that your so-called mission only concerns itself with performance. The price point of a 335i is not entry level compared to a G37, luxury (interior + comfort) is sub par compared to a Mercedes C350. You're defining the category with BMW's strength and nothing else.

I cross-shopped a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Subaru Impreza WRX, Lexus IS250 AWD, Audi A4, Audi TT, Mercedes C-Class, Ford Taurus, Subaru Legacy GT / 3.6R and Volvo S60. Does that mean all these cars are in the same category? Private vehicle and public transportation are competitors, too. Why don't we compare a privately owned BMW to a bullet train?

I'm not insecure about my purchase. I'm happy and can care less about others driving their BMWs. If they're happy, I'm happy, but please don't tell me that BMWs are so much better than Infinitis. Being insecure would be telling everyone that an Infiniti G37 is the best and keep yapping until they agree, which seems to be what a lot of BMW fans do (what I perceive personally and I'll admit that I'm generalizing)

BMW is the better sports sedan after the SUBJECTIVE criteria are applied. Being OBJECTIVE would mean you need to conduct a scientific research that evaluates every single measurable criteria that constitute to a sports sedan objectively, compile the result and come up with a conclusion.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
8/10? How? I personally didn't get the G because of the cheaper price.. The interior looks better, i also like the materials used (better leather and all). The second reason is the drive, while the 335i is 'zippy' it gets terribly boring when you drive it to the limit, on the other side, the G becomes so fun with its VLSD, high rev loving motor and oversteer happy chassis. So many people get fooled by the propeller badge, its horrible!

errr okay...every performance stat favors the BMW. I have a G, I think it's great, but it's 8/10 of the car at a much better price.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
errr okay...every performance stat favors the BMW. I have a G, I think it's great, but it's 8/10 of the car at a much better price.
Yep. I'd have to agree. I'm not one to defend my G to death, I'd prefer it had better torque and the seats are okay, at best... but I'm not going to beat people over the head with a BMW badge on an Infiniti forum.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How's the clutch on the 3-series vs the G37S 6MT? Other than the somewhat uncomfortable sport seat, the clutch is the only thing I can think of that bothers me somewhat about the G.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:44 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn, not another BMW vs. Infiniti thread.

This topic is all about the stupid magazine picking non comparable models and trying to compare them. But I guess the G owners feel offended because the article bashes the G(25).
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM
328HP

Originally Posted by devil2k
Being OBJECTIVE would mean you need to conduct a scientific research that evaluates every single measurable criteria that constitute to a sports sedan objectively, compile the result and come up with a conclusion.
But here the 335i wins too, 0-60, there is a road and track article comparing the 335i, S4, G37 and 335i. I think the G37 came last in that one on track times. C&D does the Lightning Lap and the 335i is ahead of the Nismo 370Z even. Motortrends figure 8 should have the 335i ahead as well.

I still love my G37 and will not regret having bought it over the 328i and the N54 335i (too many reports of the HPFP on that engine).
Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by visualguy
How's the clutch on the 3-series vs the G37S 6MT? Other than the somewhat uncomfortable sport seat, the clutch is the only thing I can think of that bothers me somewhat about the G.
I think the clutch on the BMW was slightly better on uptake, less abrupt. When I got my 350Z i remember having the hardest time learning it..even made me feel like I never drove MT (it's all I drove).

The BMW did have a strange Clutch Delay valve that made it so the engagement was less abrupt, but sort of laggy.

Again they are both great cars. If you think the G is better that's great. But if price where the same I think the BMW is still a better car. But my "affection" can be bought.

Quick Reply: Poor G :(