G37 Sedan

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The N54 is a super smooth engine with a lot of torque at lower rpms, the car is also lighter. The G uses more of a high rev loving n/a so obviously it feels torque less after that. Low to mid range the 335 pulls better, but above 4-5k the vq comes alive.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:22 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
The 328 also has tech not available on the g.
I was aware of that, but the points G37 would gain over G25 in powertrain were way more than making up for the lost to 328's new tech, which would undoubtedly lead to 328's defeat. That's funny the 328 even gains one point over REBATES/EXTRAS. This was why I said those guys need to get their test cars from the market just like CR.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 AM
00Max00

I'm still waiting for the g to win one compare, any comparo. Maybe Infiniti should start handicapping their cars like BMW to win more comparos.
It takes time to win over BCs. Infiniti is a much younger brand than BMW, and they have very different business model at the moment. But Infiniti is gaining momentum, I am sure Infiniti will gain significant market share over the next few years.

Yes, Infiniti has a lot need to be done to dethrone BMW given the situation that BMW has so many free marketing advocators out there.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
I was aware of that, but the points G37 would gain over G25 in powertrain were way more than making up for the lost to 328's new tech, which would undoubtedly lead to 328's defeat. That's funny the 328 even gains one point over REBATES/EXTRAS. This was why I said those guys need to get their test cars from the market just like CR.
People buy cars for different reasons.

The 328 is the new guard of BMWs entry level. The court of public opinion will ultimately determine the success or failure of the 328.

One persons dead steering is another persons, sharp tack on steering. One persons sharp tack on steering is another persons dead steering.

One persons smooth VQ engine and powertrain is another persons jerky shifting and vibrations at high revs.

Most of these comparos are opinions intermixed with some amount of facts. The facts are what can be measured.

When it comes down to it at least consumers reports doesn't sell advertising, so right, wrong, or indifferent, when it comes down to it they have the least amount of axes to grind.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 AM
g37guy01

It takes time to win over BCs. Infiniti is a much younger brand than BMW, and they have very different business model at the moment. But Infiniti is gaining momentum, I am sure Infiniti will gain significant market share over the next few years.

Yes, Infiniti has a lot need to be done to dethrone BMW given the situation that BMW has so many free marketing advocators out there.
That's because they produce the best ELLPS. The 328 is almost as fast the G37. They continually up the bar significantly with each new platform. The new F30, and I'm surprised also, seems to be garnering significant praise. BMW took a big risk, dumping their vaunted I6.

I'm sold on turbos, my Subie has one. It gets 28 mpg, not stellar today, but the car is a few years old. Is great in stop and go traffic, not so much on long hauls though.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 AM
00Max00

That's because they produce the best ELLPS. The 328 is almost as fast the G37. They continually up the bar significantly with each new platform. The new F30, and I'm surprised also, seems to be garnering significant praise. BMW took a big risk, dumping their vaunted I6.

I'm sold on turbos, my Subie has one. It gets 28 mpg, not stellar today, but the car is a few years old. Is great in stop and go traffic, not so much on long hauls though.
What bar has the 328 up after all? The only bragging right BMW has with this iteration is MPG which got caught cheating. Start-stop is a joke, better off without one. The turbo is not a new thing as you said it was in Subarus for decades.

Sound like you don't mind BMW has lost its heritage to Infiniti. This is a TREMENDOUS defeat when best handling and fun-to-drive departments are no longer attached to a BMW 3, and the G25 is a larger car. From CD's earlier review, the 335 did even worst.

Alas...you are indeed a BMW die hard who refuses to acknowledge even the most significant failure.

Last edited by 00Max00; 04-01-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:00 PM
g37guy01

Sound like you don't mind BMW has lost its heritage to Infiniti. This is a TREMENDOUS defeat when best handling and fun-to-drive departments are no longer attached to a BMW 3, and the G25 is a larger car. From CD's earlier review, the 335 did even worst than 328.

Alas...you are indeed a BMW die hard who refuses to acknowledge even the most significant failure.
One persons lost it's heritage is another person raised the bar significantly.

Either way you can agree or disagree. In the end, the court of public opinion will have the ultimate say. In addition, Infiniti has the same issue, upping the ante while preparing for new CAFE regulations. The V36 does not fit into that mold, so what is Infiniti going to do?

From the Car And Driver First Review of the F30. Note Infiniti was not mentioned.

Clearly, the new 3-series is the compact sports sedan for a changed world. This is where 24/7 connectivity and socially responsible consumption join hands with skidpad grip and slalom-course agility. Without totally abandoning its driving-enthusiast constituents, the 2012 3-series tenders a rich menu of gimmicks and gadgets that probably will appeal to those who always want more. If BMW doesn’t appeal to them, Audi, Cadillac, Lexus, and Mercedes surely will.

What Motor Trend says:

So were our fears unfounded? The numbers certainly work out -- 4 goes into 3 beautifully, as it happens, and the lighter-nose 328 may turn out to be the sweetheart of the lineup. We still don't like the E-steering and we've resented every size increase since the E36. But such inflation is the way of the world, and BMW appears to have done what it must to stay on top of that world.

It's not clear to me that recent redesign catapulted BMW into a slow disastrous downturn. Looks like they have another winner on their hands.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 PM
g37guy01

What bar has the 328 up after all? The only bragging right BMW has with this iteration is MPG which got caught cheating. Start-stop is a joke, better off without one. The turbo is not a new thing as you said it was in Subarus for decades.

Sound like you don't mind BMW has lost its heritage to Infiniti. This is a TREMENDOUS defeat when best handling and fun-to-drive departments are no longer attached to a BMW 3, and the G25 is a larger car. From CD's earlier review, the 335 did even worst.

This thread is like the 3 blind men trying to understand what an elephant looks like. One man is feeling the end tail and thinks the elephant is a hairy creature. One man is feeling the knee of the front leg and thinks the elephant is built like a giant tree...etc.

Everybody has a different interpetation of what these articles and comparos are actually saying.

I've seen this type of thing since the G35 was first introduced. The people who "wish" for BMW to go away hailed every negative word said in the press as the predictor of BMW losing it's way. Hasn't happened yet, won't happen. There is a reason the company has been on top in it's segment for years.

(Please do not take this that I don't enjoy driving my G. It is a pleasure to drive, but as every car I've owned, there are some things that annoy me with the vehicle.)

Last edited by g37guy01; 04-01-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

I hate how MT and C&D use a 50+k 328.. But the G is 35+k.. I wish they put the S4 that costs 46k and did this comparison. The S4 is the new 3 killer.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
The N54 is a super smooth engine with a lot of torque at lower rpms, the car is also lighter. The G uses more of a high rev loving n/a so obviously it feels torque less after that. Low to mid range the 335 pulls better, but above 4-5k the vq comes alive.
Since I owned one for 3 years and now have had two G37 the power and feel off the BMW N54/55 is better...all the way to redline.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 PM
00Max00

One persons lost it's heritage is another person raised the bar significantly.

Either way you can agree or disagree. In the end, the court of public opinion will have the ultimate say. In addition, Infiniti has the same issue, upping the ante while preparing for new CAFE regulations. The V36 does not fit into that mold, so what is Infiniti going to do?

From the Car And Driver First Review of the F30. Note Infiniti was not mentioned.

Clearly, the new 3-series is the compact sports sedan for a changed world. This is where 24/7 connectivity and socially responsible consumption join hands with skidpad grip and slalom-course agility. Without totally abandoning its driving-enthusiast constituents, the 2012 3-series tenders a rich menu of gimmicks and gadgets that probably will appeal to those who always want more. If BMW doesn’t appeal to them, Audi, Cadillac, Lexus, and Mercedes surely will.

What Motor Trend says:

So were our fears unfounded? The numbers certainly work out -- 4 goes into 3 beautifully, as it happens, and the lighter-nose 328 may turn out to be the sweetheart of the lineup. We still don't like the E-steering and we've resented every size increase since the E36. But such inflation is the way of the world, and BMW appears to have done what it must to stay on top of that world.

It's not clear to me that recent redesign catapulted BMW into a slow disastrous downturn. Looks like they have another winner on their hands.
I suggest you at least to read the whole thing before making blind judgement.

CD likes the old 3 more, period. They just too afraid to say it straight forward, but still way better than MT who rather say nothing negative.

Use your brains, not other parts, read through the lines...and use some common sense.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM
g37guy01

I suggest you at least to read the whole thing before making blind judgement.

CD likes the old 3 more, period. They just too afraid to say it straight forward, but still way better than MT who rather say nothing negative.

Use your brains, not other parts, read through the lines...and use some common sense.
Um, I read a lot of reviews they were all indicative of what I posted.

So you are going to base this non-discussion on one review? If you had cancer, would you base your treatment on one doctor's input? Or were having a major remodeling job in your house, would you sign on the dotted line with the first contractor you saw?

Have you ever driven a BMW, any BMW?

Last edited by g37guy01; 04-01-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 PM
g37guy01

For those of you interested in yet another comparo. I just read a Motor Trend comparo on my ipad, courtesy of Editions (great software, if you haven't downloaded it), that pits the Buick Regal GS, G25, IS 250, TSX, A4 Quattro, C250, S60 T5 and the 328, against one another.

The order of the cars mentioned was the order in which they finished from last to first.

While this topic is not really germane to the 6 other vehicles mentioned, the article does go into some detail about why the editors placed the vehicles in that particular order.

Of course, the comments at the end of the article, are a bit like the discussion in this thread.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...an_comparison/

Last edited by g37guy01; 04-02-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: added link
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Since I owned one for 3 years and now have had two G37 the power and feel off the BMW N54/55 is better...all the way to redline.
It's the smoothness that gives that affect. On even a dyno the vq top is better, I've driven them a lot too (a lot of my friends have em), low and mid is faster, but top seems to die a bit.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 AM
g37guy01

Unless you race your G37, having more torque down lower, in my driving situation is preferable. Plus people complain the V36 motor is rough at higher rpms. (I don't see that trait, however)

Quick Reply: Poor G :(