G37 Sedan

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
Me too. I didn't buy this car to never go above 4k. I know what Sniper is saying about the peaky low end torque in the turbo 4 cars, it was fun in my GTI, for awhile..but soon I wanted a linear powerband that built after 5k. I love taking the G to 7500...gives me much more satisfaction.

Sniper- I've had a question..if you hate your G so much why don't you just drive your A6 3.0T? Or is that your dad's car? Just confused....although I really wish you would just stop bashing your own car into submission all the while stroking the BMW's cockatoo. Why havn't you traded in the G yet for an F30?
I do drive the A6, and it is superior (not comparing it because well, it's not really fair to compare an A6 to a G). But I drive the G, as well as the M. Different cars for different reasons/purposes that I don't need to explain. Just because I own a G doesn't mean I am afraid to admit it's flaws and recognize others that are better. This is a discussion about the G and the BMW, so I don't understand why people think when someone favors another means they are stroking their cockatoo. But I guess we are more comfortable with one sided discussion here.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sniper27
I do drive the A6, and it is superior (not comparing it because well, it's not really fair to compare an A6 to a G). But I drive the G, as well as the M. Different cars for different reasons/purposes that I don't need to explain. Just because I own a G doesn't mean I am afraid to admit it's flaws and recognize others that are better. This is a discussion about the G and the BMW, so I don't understand why people think when someone favors another means they are stroking their cockatoo. But I guess we are more comfortable with one sided discussion here.
Really? Because I call BS. I'm pretty sure I'm on the money about it being your dad's car. You fixate on the G and even though you apparently have the A6 you have never mentioned it or offer up any comparisons to it, even though it has the same ZF 8AT in the new F30. Just seems fishy. You also seem to be on here way too much for any mature adult with responsbilities and able to afford 3 cars, you would need a stable job and not on here posting all times of the day. And your screenname comes across as if you copied it straight from your Xbox live account. But I'm sure you also have your "reasons" like you say. And if I also owned a brand new A6, I would not be hating on my G37 and talking about HAVING to get a new F30, especially if I already had two others cars to drive, and one being "superior".

Sorry, but your ranting and rationale has started to become ridiculous and while you blame us for a "1 sided" discussion it really is you who is one sided. I can summarize everyone of your posts by just saying "BMW is so much smoother and has lots of TORQUE". This is just getting silly because you are repeating the same things and going in circles, typical of a kid probably like yourself, driving daddy's car. It's just annoying for those of us on here who bought our G's brand new and enjoy them, but you are on here like a spoiled little trust fund baby spouting off all the things wrong with it and talking up the new F30 like the next matchbox car.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by jepva
Really? Because I call BS. I'm pretty sure I'm on the money about it being your dad's car. You fixate on the G and even though you apparently have the A6 you have never mentioned it or offer up any comparisons to it, even though it has the same ZF 8AT in the new F30. Just seems fishy. You also seem to be on here way too much for any mature adult with responsbilities and able to afford 3 cars, you would need a stable job and not on here posting all times of the day. And your screenname comes across as if you copied it straight from your Xbox live account. But I'm sure you also have your "reasons" like you say. And if I also owned a brand new A6, I would not be hating on my G37 and talking about HAVING to get a new F30, especially if I already had two others cars to drive, and one being "superior".

Sorry, but your ranting and rationale has started to become ridiculous and while you blame us for a "1 sided" discussion it really is you who is one sided. I can summarize everyone of your posts by just saying "BMW is so much smoother and has lots of TORQUE". This is just getting silly because you are repeating the same things and going in circles, typical of a kid probably like yourself, driving daddy's car. It's just annoying for those of us on here who bought our G's brand new and enjoy them, but you are on here like a spoiled little trust fund baby spouting off all the things wrong with it and talking up the new F30 like the next matchbox car.
Funny...now you just sound jealous. I don't need to explain myself to you or anyone...but if you must know, I'm 39, so not a kid driving daddy's car. And, if you go through all these pages, you will see that I am actually not on here that often as you think. Go count how many posts were by 00MAX00, G37GUY..., Visual, and the few other active posters on this thread and compare them to me. Also, I never said in any posts that I wanted a F30, so go reread them. I've only stated the better power delivery (for my needs) and the better handling and driving dynamics of the BMW. Why do I need to compare the A6 to the G when this thread is about the BMW and the G? Go start a thread about Audi and the G and then I will. And by the way, the 2011 A6 3.0T is 6 speed, not 8AT. A6 v G is apples to oranges. It makes no sense to compare the two. I'm on here because I own a G. Do you want to get back on topic? Or would you like to dive into my life some more because it interests you so much? I can tell you all about what I do and how I do it for a consultant fee. We can get this thread locked while we're at it. For now, I'm done with you.

Last edited by sniper27; 03-29-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
you spend about .25 second between 1000 - 2000 rpm, so that is pretty irrelevant IMO. if you look at the torque at 2000 rpm, there is a huge difference between ~275 lb.ft. and ~180 lb.ft. In city driving and traffic, what matters is between 2000-3000rpm (low end), and that's where the greatest difference is between the G and the BMW. The only time the G surpasses the BMW in the above graph is at over 6000rpm. How much time do you really spend in that range? really.
ROFLMAO... You buy a sports car for stop and go driving?... wrong application, wrong selection of vehicle, period. How dumb is that? It's not like a Ferrari has any torque at idle either, you need to rev the he11 out of it.

Seriously, I figure that I have to say it again in case you missed it. The BEST car for you is a P-R-I-U-S which has 295 ft-lbs of torque from ZERO rpm, beats both 335 and G37. Problem solved.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:41 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by 00Max00
ROFLMAO... You buy a sports car for stop and go driving?... wrong application, wrong selection of vehicle, period. How dumb is that? It's not like a Ferrari has any torque at idle either, you need to rev the he11 out of it.

Seriously, I figure that I have to say it again in case you missed it. The BEST car for you is a P-R-I-U-S which has 295 ft-lbs of torque from ZERO rpm, beats both 335 and G37. Problem solved.
so I guess everyone who lives in a metropolitan area with stop and go traffic should get a Prius? Maybe Infiniti should just shut down all the dealerships in the L.A. area. Is that a smart business decision? I'll be sure to tell all the Ferrari and Aston Martin drivers in Los Angeles. And don't kid yourself...the G is a nice car, but it's not a SPORTS car. ROFLMAO at that.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so I guess everyone who lives in a metropolitan area with stop and go traffic should get a Prius? Maybe Infiniti should just shut down all the dealerships in the L.A. area. Is that a smart business decision? I'll be sure to tell all the Ferrari and Aston Martin drivers in Los Angeles. And don't kid yourself...the G is a nice car, but it's not a SPORTS car. ROFLMAO at that.

It's technically a sports sedan. Which is a car. And sporty.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 PM
00Max00

so I guess everyone who lives in a metropolitan area with stop and go traffic should get a Prius? Maybe Infiniti should just shut down all the dealerships in the L.A. area. Is that a smart business decision?
A: Why would Infiniti do that, or any sports car makers, sports sedan makers for that matter? Not everyone want a Prius in the city cause not everyone feel the need of more torque than what a lowly Civic has to offer, let alone a large displacement 6 cyl from the G. And...even with those minority Prius owners, the true intention is more likely for gas saving rather than having torque at idle. Your logic is laughable to say the least.

As a side note, I was just kind enough providing you an affordable solution to satisfy your need, so you don't have to break your bank for a Bugatti.
BTW, my consulting fee is waived. I will offer you a nice discount next time.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 PM
sniper27

A: Why would Infiniti do that, or any sports car makers, sports sedan makers for that matter? Not everyone want a Prius in the city cause not everyone feel the need of more torque than what a lowly Civic has to offer, let alone a large displacement 6 cyl from the G. And...even with those minority Prius owners, the true intention is more likely for gas saving rather than having torque at idle. Your logic is laughable to say the least.

As a side note, I was just kind enough providing you an affordable solution to satisfy your need, so you don't have to break your bank for a Bugatti.
BTW, my consulting fee is waived. I will offer you a nice discount next time.

According to your logic, anyone who buys a "sports" car for stop and go traffic is dumb and wrong. Which leads me to believe Infiniti is making a dumb and wrong decision to sell cars in a city plagued with stop and go traffic. Maybe you should go consult for Infiniti instead. I'm doing fine over here without your poor advice.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:56 PM
00Max00

^^^ Alas...sure, my next advise for you will not be free. You have just missed the mark again, it is dumb to make a mistake and then complain aloud about it.

It IS the BEST car for people like you for what you are complaining, and for the rest of us, the G37 is more than capable anywhere.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
^^^ The only mistake that was made was believing the G37 was as agile in stop and go traffic as the adverts would have left you to believe. That it doesn't move quickly until about 3.5K is the issue.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the G and the rough spots have grown on me.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:35 AM
jepva

Funny...now you just sound jealous. I don't need to explain myself to you or anyone...but if you must know, I'm 39, so not a kid driving daddy's car. And, if you go through all these pages, you will see that I am actually not on here that often as you think. Go count how many posts were by 00MAX00, G37GUY..., Visual, and the few other active posters on this thread and compare them to me. Also, I never said in any posts that I wanted a F30, so go reread them. I've only stated the better power delivery (for my needs) and the better handling and driving dynamics of the BMW. Why do I need to compare the A6 to the G when this thread is about the BMW and the G? Go start a thread about Audi and the G and then I will. And by the way, the 2011 A6 3.0T is 6 speed, not 8AT. A6 v G is apples to oranges. It makes no sense to compare the two. I'm on here because I own a G. Do you want to get back on topic? Or would you like to dive into my life some more because it interests you so much? I can tell you all about what I do and how I do it for a consultant fee. We can get this thread locked while we're at it. For now, I'm done with you.
Definitely not jealous of a guy who is so unhappy with his car, that he spends all of his time online in a forum complaining about it, especially if he has two other cars to drive. And FYI..I have multiple cars too, but they all serve a different purpose, I only have one sports sedan, I have an SUV, and I have a truck. I wouldn't have 3 sports sedans, which even makes your situation look even more like some BS. The main thing is that most of your responses come off sounding immature and the highschool kid/20 year old douchebag shows through your posts, so I'm pretty sure I'm right. And no 39 year old I know would ever use the name "sniper" on a forum. If you are really are 39, great, and I apologize, but you'd be the biggest immature douche of a 39 year old I've ever met, if that's really the case. And I really hope you are "done with me" as you say, and stop trolling the hell out of this forum.

And also..nice ninja edit you did there on the transmission in your Audi. I see you changed your post from saying it's actually a 7 speed to a 6 speed later. Sounds like you might not actually know too much about your other car you allegedly own if you don't even know how many speeds are in it.

FWIW, the '12 A6 3.0T has the ZF 8 speed, which is what I meant to say. I didn't realize the '11 still had the 6 speed and the change wasn't until '12.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by g37guy01
^^^ The only mistake that was made was believing the G37 was as agile in stop and go traffic as the adverts would have left you to believe. That it doesn't move quickly until about 3.5K is the issue.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the G and the rough spots have grown on me.
This is the point we're trying to make. We never said the G was a bad car. Just pointing out a it's flaws. But of course, everyone starts getting butt hurt because apparently we are not allowed to complain about what we have.

And to our friend Jepva...if you were a member of the forum long enough, you would know me better. Let me direct you to a link for your convenience. https://www.myg37.com/forums/other-c...i-a6-3-0t.html
Form any opinion about me as you wish, it doesn't matter.

Last edited by sniper27; 03-30-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I do agree with sniper's point of view. The lack of low end torque makes the G37 Sedan heavy and not fun around city because you'll have to rev past 4K RPM to get any significant output.

The engine is more suitable in sports cars (i.e. 370z) because again people driving sports cars enjoy revving it. The G looks good on paper: 328hp and 270lbft starting mid 30s but after owning the car for 3 years, I gradually came to realize that I hardly rev my engine to 5-6K RPM to go from 40-80 mph, especially in a sedan (non-sport). It would be nice if the engine puts out 300hp and 300lbft IMO. Nevertheless the G is still a damn nice car.

Whereas the new 328 puts out decent number of hps, but most of the torque is available at very low RPM (I know everyone already knows this) so the car feels fast and is more enjoyable around city. Even the old BMW I6 has good low end torque. And yes BMW is always more expensive, and yes the interior in the previous 3 series looks like cr@p. And yes, BMW is less reliable. But people will always be willing to pay more for BMW for different reasons. People will always compare Infiniti to BMW because Infiniti decided to compete directly with BMW. And in the near future, you'll always pay less and get more with Infiniti.

Ask this yourself: If both Infiniti and BMW have 2 cars that are almost similar to each other in everything (performance, handling, and PRICE). Which brand which you'd pick?

Finally, I've talked to sniper offline a couple of times and he's a nice and pleasant guy. Please don't call people's names and focus on the discussion.

Last edited by hadokenuh; 03-30-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:17 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

trust me...the manual mode isn't much better, if at all. and if you have to do something to compensate for it's flaws, then that in itself is a problem, not a high point of a car.
I drive with the manual mode everyday. It isn't bad at all. In a manual car, if you don't shift at the right time, it upsets the car, too. I rarely run into situation where the 7AT misbehave when it's in manual.

Every car has its flaws. G37 is not perfect. The windshield area rattles, the sunroof area rattles, the paint is garbage and there is no excuse.

However, the similar arguments can be made for BMWs. F30 is a big improvement, but the interior of their previous generation vehicles have been pretty crappy. I personally think E46's interior was better than the ones in E90 & E92. They looked boring & cheap. My buddy used to work for BMW and he said on colder days of winter, he would see flat beds after flat beds coming in with BMWs because they would not start. To compensate for the lack of block heater, some owners had to install a trickle charger or oil pan heater. They also had mad customers who came in with fogged up window all around because the computer system decided that heater is non-essential and therefore could be shut down to conserve power.

BMW drivers continue to overlook these issues, because they love their cars. I understand and respect that because I'm really not that different from them. I love my G37, knowing that it's got it's flaws. But just because it's got a few flaws, doesn't mean it's inferior to a BMW. The reality is, they're both nice cars with similar performance. Put them on a race track, it's down to the driver.

And I'll say it one more time, just because it's made by BMW doesn't make it an ultimate driving machine. A BMW 120d is not one, a BMW 320i is not one. This comparison (g25 vs 328i) was flawed from the beginning, and I would say the same if the comparison was done between a BMW 316d or 320i, and an Infiniti G37.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Whereas the new 328 puts out decent number of hps, but most of the torque is available at very low RPM (I know everyone already knows this)
If you look at the dyno charts for the 2012 328i vs. the G37, you'll see that this statement is incorrect. People must be confusing the 335i with the 328i or something.

Quick Reply: Poor G :(