G37 Sedan

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
as stated before, turbo lag is a thing of the past. the most you get now is less than 1/2 second lag, if that. it takes you longer to get to 6500 rpm in the G.

so you redline your car all day long? you may see redline everyday, but is that a few times a day? seriously, if you hit redline everytime you step on it or redline all day long, then it makes sense that you only look at numbers on paper. derive what you wish with that.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:03 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sniper27
as stated before, turbo lag is a thing of the past. the most you get now is less than 1/2 second lag, if that. it takes you longer to get to 6500 rpm in the G.

so you redline your car all day long? you may see redline everyday, but is that a few times a day? seriously, if you hit redline everytime you step on it or redline all day long, then it makes sense that you only look at numbers on paper. derive what you wish with that.
So you first said that
turbo lag is a thing of the past
then confirmed that turbo lag still exists?
the most you get now is less than 1/2 second lag
To me, that 0.5 second matters. In racing, that 0.5 second matters. I don't need to rev a G to 6500 RPM to get power.

I'm sorry but the message I get from you is that a car shouldn't be driven to its limit, and should spend most of its life under 3000 RPM. In that case you don't need an ultimate driving machine, and you surely don't have the credibility to convince me that 328i is one.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 AM
sniper27

Originally Posted by devil2k
I'm sorry but the message I get from you is that a car shouldn't be driven to its limit, and should spend most of its life under 3000 RPM. In that case you don't need an ultimate driving machine, and you surely don't have the credibility to convince me that 328i is one.
When you drive in everyday situations, traffic, city streets, yes, you spend most of your life under 3000 rpm. Even if you don't, then you shouldn't be driving to the limits all day long like an irresponsible child either. If you take your car to the tracks all day long, then fine. I don't need an ultimate driving machine, hence I didn't buy one. And I don't need to convince you. The graph you all referred to (even if it's a 335), does it just fine.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:14 AM
sniper27

So you first said that

To me, that 0.5 second matters. In racing, that 0.5 second matters. I don't need to rev a G to 6500 RPM to get power.
sorry, didn't think you would take it so literally. Let me rephrase. Turbo lag is not like the past. THe most you get is less than .5 sec, if that. And in a race, you will need to rev your G to 6500 RPM to get the power. and it takes longer to do than what little turbo lag you may feel.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

When you drive in everyday situations, traffic, city streets, yes, you spend most of your life under 3000 rpm. Even if you don't, then you shouldn't be driving to the limits all day long like an irresponsible child either. If you take your car to the tracks all day long, then fine. I don't need an ultimate driving machine, hence I didn't buy one. And I don't need to convince you. The graph you all referred to (even if it's a 335), does it just fine.
Just because I like to get to the speed limit as fast as I can doesn't mean I'm breaking any law or driving like an irresponsible child. That's how I drive and for me the G is more preferable than the 328i in its stock form.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

sorry, didn't think you would take it so literally. Let me rephrase. Turbo lag is not like the past. THe most you get is less than .5 sec, if that. And in a race, you will need to rev your G to 6500 RPM to get the power. and it takes longer to do than what little turbo lag you may feel.
Here's what I didn't like when I drove the 328i. I would punch it, expecting the tail to come out, but nothing happened. Then 0.5 second later just when I wasn't expecting it, the tail came out. Then just when I thought I had a drift going, I already finished turning.

That's why the lag matters.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 AM
sniper27

Here's what I didn't like when I drove the 328i. I would punch it, expecting the tail to come out, but nothing happened. Then 0.5 second later just when I wasn't expecting it, the tail came out. Then just when I thought I had a drift going, I already finished turning.

That's why the lag matters.
sounds like the G's 7AT in traffic...or after slowing to make a right turn.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

sounds like the G's 7AT in traffic...or after slowing to make a right turn.
That's what the manual mode is for...
Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
So you first said that

You need to rev the g to 4k to get power, which is way more than .5 seconds. BMW is working on a new electric turbo that will eliminate turbo lag completely. You should be happy with that.

Nobody really needs to convince you of anything. The world will go on in spite of your opinions.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g37guy01
You need to rev the g to 4k to get power, which is way more than .5 seconds. BMW is working on a new electric turbo that will eliminate turbo lag completely. You should be happy with that.

Nobody really needs to convince you of anything. The world will go on in spite of your opinions.
- You don't need to rev the g to 4k to get power
- The point is that you punch it, it goes. No lag between pushing the throttle and the car starts going
- So will the world go on in spite of your opinions. 328i is not any better than a G. It's a good car, but not an ultimate driving machine.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
- You don't need to rev the g to 4k to get power
- The point is that you punch it, it goes. No lag between pushing the throttle and the car starts going
- So will the world go on in spite of your opinions. 328i is not any better than a G. It's a good car, but not an ultimate driving machine.
Well you do actually have to wait until 3.5 rpms before it takes off like a rocketship.

In that vein, the same for the 328. Punch it, it goes. A wimpy 2L against 3.7 and the car is almost as fast with much better highway mileage...is the point. And I'll bet it's probably a smoother car to drive.

The world is at odds with your opinions of BMW. I'm just giving my opinion however.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
sniper27

That's what the manual mode is for...
trust me...the manual mode isn't much better, if at all. and if you have to do something to compensate for it's flaws, then that in itself is a problem, not a high point of a car.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
Hmmm... It looks like the automatic G37 is only 3628 lbs actually. The automatic 328i is 3461 lbs, so the difference for the automatic model is only 167 lbs, not 300 lbs.
I had to compare to the models I drove, the G37x and the 328i.

328i = 3461lbs
G37x = 3822lbs

I'm not trying to pick on different trims but I never drove the RWD G and there's no 328i xdrive available yet.

I bet the RWD G drives much better than the AWD.
I paid more attention to the power delivery on my G this morning.
What the problem is combined with weight, gearing and power delivery.

The car doesn't have enough power below 3k RPM and with the weight of the car it feels really heavy. The car feels like working so hard to get it moving off the line. When I drive it gently the car shifts at 3k rpm. So the car is 90% of the time hovering around 2k-3k RPM unless I drive more aggressively or go into sport mode.

This car excels at higher RPM range. It's good if you can benefit from it. Apparently I'm not able to due to geographical disadvantage.

Like I said the GTI felt more responsive than my G even though it has way less power. The G is a great car on paper. HP and 0-60 aren't everything. It's what makes you feel good.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 AM
sniper27

The full torque available @ 1800 rpm on the GTI combined with the DSG tranny is smooth and responsive. I do miss my A3. It also had one of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
jepva

Mine sees redline just about everyday.

Plus, turbo lag is always there.
Me too. I didn't buy this car to never go above 4k. I know what Sniper is saying about the peaky low end torque in the turbo 4 cars, it was fun in my GTI, for awhile..but soon I wanted a linear powerband that built after 5k. I love taking the G to 7500...gives me much more satisfaction.

Sniper- I've had a question..if you hate your G so much why don't you just drive your A6 3.0T? Or is that your dad's car? Just confused....although I really wish you would just stop bashing your own car into submission all the while stroking the BMW's cockatoo. Why havn't you traded in the G yet for an F30?

Quick Reply: Poor G :(