G37 Sedan

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
For the record, if you read what the said about the BMW, you will see that the one they got was from the release event at BMW and was fully loaded. They factored in a lower trim level which would set you at about 41k or right in the standard realm of pricing for these cars.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
True, but the 335 starts at about, ~~$6.5K, more then the G37. Only you can decide if that money is worth it to you. Just like I didn't get a fully loaded, G37, I wouldn't get a fully loaded 335. Although no doubt the packaging of options/accessories on German cars is way different than Japanese cars.
I looked at getting a 2012 335i with a fairly modest option selection vs the 2012 G37S 6MT (which comes fully loaded). The 335i would have needed to be special ordered, and it would have been about $10K more out-the-door.

Honestly, I would have gone for it just to try something different than Nissan/Infiniti for a change if nothing else, and $10K was about the limit of what I was willing to pay extra for this. What killed it for me was the fear of reliability problems. I simply hate car problems because I've had too much bad experience with mechanics over the 30 years that I've owned cars.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 AM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I've owned both I can say that if price were equal I'd still take a 335 sport. But since the G saves you a bunch of cash and delivers 8/10 of the BMW it's a better value.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Since I've owned both I can say that if price were equal I'd still take a 335 sport. But since the G saves you a bunch of cash and delivers 8/10 of the BMW it's a better value.
8/10? How? I personally didn't get the G because of the cheaper price.. The interior looks better, i also like the materials used (better leather and all). The second reason is the drive, while the 335i is 'zippy' it gets terribly boring when you drive it to the limit, on the other side, the G becomes so fun with its VLSD, high rev loving motor and oversteer happy chassis. So many people get fooled by the propeller badge, its horrible!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:58 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Not to split hairs, it's actually it's 3.6x, rounded to 3.7.

Even still, limp mode is still around the corner. My statement still stands, these cars are not made to be flogged at the track.
Well almost no factory car is made to flogged at the track, you need to do one or two changes before it's ready. Usually consists of brakes (stock pads arent ment for the track) and cooling (oil in the G's case).
Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Rickyay

50k for that 3 series? i rather spend a bit more and get an infiniti M
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rickyay
50k for that 3 series? i rather spend a bit more and get an infiniti M
You could pretty much have a G37 vert or an IPL too. I don't want to sound one sided but there are so many nicer things for the money then a baseline 3 series BMW. They have always left a bad taste in my mouth as being overpriced and ridiculously expensive to maintain.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
8/10? How? I personally didn't get the G because of the cheaper price.. The interior looks better, i also like the materials used (better leather and all). The second reason is the drive, while the 335i is 'zippy' it gets terribly boring when you drive it to the limit, on the other side, the G becomes so fun with its VLSD, high rev loving motor and oversteer happy chassis. So many people get fooled by the propeller badge, its horrible!
I got the g because of the less expensive msrp, ie cheaper price. I had to upgrade the interior to the accents to make it look better than the 335. As far as the leather, I don't think it's better.

The 335 is a better sports sedan and daily driver. I'm one of those who are "fooled" by the propellor badge.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
Well almost no factory car is made to flogged at the track, you need to do one or two changes before it's ready. Usually consists of brakes (stock pads arent ment for the track) and cooling (oil in the G's case).
I agree, there are few factory vehicles that are made to be flogged. So when people laugh at the turbo overheating when flogged at the track the same thing will happen with the g, unless some mods are made.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Jayhawk815

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This test was plagued with inconsistencies, not just with the G25. I think the G25 has a pretty decent interior, certainly not deserving of the editor's scorn. It's performance is pathetic, though, and deserving of at least a bottom half finish. Honestly, the G could've finished dead last, and probably should have, along with the TSX. The Buick was better than both by most objective measures. The Merc wasn't all that impressive either. The BMW was impressive, regardless of it's price. Better mileage, performance, etc. As previously mentioned, it could've been optioned to $41,000 and kept all the performance options.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A G37 is so much better than a pathetic 320i. It's gotta be a fair comparison if Motortrend compared a G25 with 335i right?

I still prefer the interior of E46 over the interior of E90 & F30. They haven't improved a whole lot in the last 10 years. Of course, any BMW fan will say it's a driver's car and that the reliability issue has been fixed by now or in the upcoming models. They will say that some people may not want real leather. They will say that BMW's 50/50 weight distribution is so much better than G's 52/48. Seriously a 160 lbs person can make a difference over 4% in a 3600 lbs car. They'll tell you that inline-6 is so silky smooth and VQ is not smooth at all and they won't shut up until you present them with dyno sheets showing that our VQs are so much smoother than those turbocharged inline-6.

I could've bought a BMW, but I chose not to. Driving a BMW is nothing to be snobby about. Some people don't get it, it's not about which car is the better car. It's about which car is more suitable, and different people have different needs. For me the interior was rubbish, price was not right, rear leg room was too small, and just wasn't as reliable as the G - these are my priorities. Who can tell me that I made the wrong choice?

Let them love their BMWs, it's their freedom, but to say BMWs are better cars, I think not.

Last edited by devil2k; 03-06-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 AM
328HP

I have been over to the Bimmerfest F30 forum and there too people made the comment that the G37 should have been used not the G25. However people seem to be in agreement that the G37 will have lost to the 328i. Statements to the effect that the 328is more fun to drive than the 335i have already been made by some auto enthusiasts so it should come as no suprise that the 328i will beat the G37.

I have a X5 35i, have had it for about a year now and a G37xS. Over the past year I have been paying attention to the driving dynamics of both, knowing the X5 comes at a disadvantage of weight and size. I have personally concluded that the turbo inline 6 is a beast, even in the 5000lb X5 I just don't feel my lighter G is far ahead. I have taken curves in both, the X5 to me feels more competent and I am more comfortable to speed up. The G will outperform the X5 in the curves but I don't think by much. Then comes refinement, the X5 is way on top, but I will asterisk this, refinement is in driving dynamics (especially the engine), not the interior, both being at par in my opinion.

Gadgetry, with the way my X5 is optioned, the G is behind, I have Nav package on the G. I would probably get the 335i when my G's lease is up early next year, the 328i is not a bad option, just can't regress to 4 cylinders.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:01 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
g37guy01 needs to change his name to BMWguy12
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by MACS
g37guy01 needs to change his name to BMWguy12
I'll take that under advisement.DOMO
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by devil2k
A G37 is so much better than a pathetic 320i. It's gotta be a fair comparison if Motortrend compared a G25 with 335i right?

I still refer the interior of E46 over the interior of E90 & F30. They haven't improved a whole lot in the last 10 years. Of course, any BMW fan will say it's a driver's car and that the reliability issue has been fixed by now or in the upcoming models. They will say that some people may not want real leather. They will say that BMW's 50/50 weight distribution is so much better than G's 52/48. Seriously a 160 lbs person can make a difference over 4% in a 3600 lbs. They'll tell you that inline-6 is so silky smooth and VQ is not smooth at all and they won't shut up until you present them with dyno sheets showing that our VQs are so much smoother than those turbocharged inline-6.

I could've bought a BMW, but I chose not to. Driving a BMW is nothing to be snobby about. Some people don't get it, it's not about which car is the better car. It's about which car is more suitable, and different people have different needs. For me the interior was rubbish, price was not right, rear leg room was too small, and just wasn't as reliable as the G - these are my priorities. Who can tell me that I made the wrong choice?

Let them love their BMWs, it's their freedom, but to say BMWs are better cars, I think not.
They are better at the intended mission, to say otherwise is to admit: "Denial is just another river in Egypt". You may decide based on your priorities the 3 series is not the best car for you, which is an entirely different conversation.

Quick Reply: Poor G :(