G37 Sedan

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
That post was a response to your amusing question. Try to pick words out of context again? You sound more and more like a BMW sales person.
Can you please stick to the vehicles, not the purchasers and not the posters?

We all would appreciate it.

Thanks.

With that out of the way, with the exception of the Civic that gets 39mpg but can't get out of it's own way...seems a fair trade off for the bimmer, to get 33 mpg. So while these no performance 4-bangers might get slightly better mileage, most of them can't get out of their own way. The Corolla which gets 34 mpg, is the most anemic of the group. I drove one for a month. So in comparison, it seems BMW did pretty good with the F30. Good gas mileage and performance in one package.

Last edited by g37guy01; 03-20-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
The thing I would be worried about is BMW doesn't really have a history of turbo cars, where as say Volvo, Subaru, VW/Audi, Mitsubishi etc. have been doing it for years and it's part of their core lineup. I guess only time will show how reliable the new BMW setup is.
Well - the 335 has been turbocharged for a few years. But I do agree - they don't have the deep history of some of the ones you mentioned. (although my friend's old Mitsu Eclipse went thru at least 3 turbo's to my recollection)

My guess is that BMW does NOT manufacture the Turbo's themselves. They have (more than likely) become a commodity part available to various manufacturers. But the turbo does put more stress on various other components - which need to be beefed up in order to maintain reliability.

Anyway - thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Well - the 335 has been turbocharged for a few years. But I do agree - they don't have the deep history of some of the ones you mentioned. (although my friend's old Mitsu Eclipse went thru at least 3 turbo's to my recollection)

My guess is that BMW does NOT manufacture the Turbo's themselves. They have (more than likely) become a commodity part available to various manufacturers. But the turbo does put more stress on various other components - which need to be beefed up in order to maintain reliability.

Correct. 335 has Mitsubishi TD03 turbo.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:29 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S

A lot of car manufacturers outsource the manufacture, but the design of various components are done in-house.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM
00Max00

The Honda and Hyundai false MPG lawsuits may have taught BMW something.
Well, I was wrong. BMW was not as honest as I thought. This was not a voluntary correction. EPA has not yet sampled other than 328i auto.

"EPA doesn’t test every car, and manufacturers must instead conduct their own tests following the EPA’s test cycle and submit figures each year. Sometimes, the EPA will validate those figures by repeating the test cycle itself. In this case, the EPA requested a 328i automatic for testing, and came up with different numbers."
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
According to this article I read this morning at Autoblog they are going to change the HWY EPA to 33 MPG's.
BMW forced to lower 2012 3 Series automatic fuel economy to 33 mpg
But when you consider that a 200HP GTI get only 31 MPG in the HWY that is still very impressive.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 PM
00Max00

Originally Posted by gugarci
According to this article I read this morning at Autoblog they are going to change the HWY EPA to 33 MPG's.
BMW forced to lower 2012 3 Series automatic fuel economy to 33 mpg
But when you consider that a 200HP GTI get only 31 MPG in the HWY that is still very impressive.
Incorrect, the GTI auto gets 33.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 AM
g37guy01

One doesn't really know if BMW made an honest mistake. Or it's a difference between some methods or programming in the car. Either way, purchasers aren't going to care, IMO. The f30 is almost as fast as the g and the bimmer will get much better highway mileage.

Infiniti has to up the ante.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:30 AM
G35sportsedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 328i vs Infiniti G37

Im not a fan of BMW and heres here's my two cents

328i F30 pros

Brand new model
Low end torque
Combined 27mpg
Lighter weight than G37
Badge factor

328i F30 cons

Brand new model will have bugs
Still a 4 cylinder that cannot match G37 power and speed
Cheap interior
Small interior
Price
Douche factor

G37 pros

Horse power
Price
Lots of Standard equipment
Quality of materials
reliability

G37 cons

Fuel economy
Model is getting long in the tooth
Transmission
Heavier than F30
No split rear seat

So it comes down to what's important to the buyer

The G37 is a better performance car and better value
The 328i has badge factor and MPG

With comparable options

The G37 price is $39,000
The 328i price is $48,000

We can all sit here and argue back and forth but money will be the first and final decision. The value choice is the better choice.

If money wasn't an object, these cars wouldn't even be considered.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Incorrect, the GTI auto gets 33.
Your right 31 MPG's is for the manual. Still 33 MPG's for a 240 HP 3 series BMW is still impressive. When you consider the 218HP RWD G25 is only rated at 29MPG's. The AWD G25 is rated at 27 MPG. My 09 RWD sedan is rated at 26 MPG's. Sorry I'll still take this BMW over the G25 if I can afford it. If not I would buy something else.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by G35sportsedan

328i F30 pros

Brand new model
Low end torque
Combined 27mpg
Lighter weight than G37
Badge factor

328i F30 cons

Cheap interior
Small interior
Price
Douche factor

G37 pros

Horse power
Price
Quality of materials
reliability

G37 cons

Fuel economy
Transmission
Heavier than F30
No split rear seat

With comparable options

The G37 price is $39,000

We can all sit here and argue back and forth but money will be the first and final decision. The value choice is the better choice.

One of your cons I'm going to turn into a pro. A four cylinder that get's better mileage that is almost as fast as the G37.

In addition, one item on the list is refinement. While I haven't yet driven the F30, and I'll come to my own conclusion vs the mags, the 3 series is much, more refined than the G. Shifts smoother, rider smoother etc. So yes, the "badge" gets you something, which is why "badge chasers" don't have to look very far when they allegedly "blindly" buy a BMW because of the propellor badge on the hood..
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G35sportsedan

328i F30 pros

Brand new model
Low end torque
Combined 27mpg
Lighter weight than G37
Badge factor

328i F30 cons

Cheap interior
Small interior
Price
Douche factor

G37 pros

Horse power
Price
Quality of materials
reliability

G37 cons

Fuel economy
Transmission
Heavier than F30
No split rear seat

With comparable options

The G37 price is $39,000

I think the BMW has better interior and material quality.
My G has bubble seat due to cheap leather. Creeks and rattles from the center console and front doors.

The douche factor is subjective. I've seen many G owners are arrogant and drive like an @ss on the road. Not just from the G owners, I've seen them from almost every manufactures.

The overall driving experience with the 328i was much nicer for me. Better and smoother power delivery from all RPM range. Quick and smooth 8AT. Comfortable seats. I don't have to be hard on the pedal to get the power I want off the line.

And I don't know how you get those prices from.

G37 prem/sport/nav = $43,745
328i sport line/prem/nav = $44,995

Last edited by kanariya; 03-22-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 AM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no point to keep on arguing with people who have already made up their mind, who cares. I like the G, some are loving the new F30, that's that.

However, on the whole refinement/luxury thing..I found my G to feel more refined and luxurious inside than the BMW. The BMW is simple and comes off cheap. It has nicer leather, I'll give it that..but the dash and console is more basic and simple and comes off less substantial and cheaper than the G. This is in my '11 G..I know there were some changes and I can see how someone with an '09 G may prefer the BMW interior. However, it is no secret that BMW cut costs with the F30. Fit and finish is pretty bad, you can look at pictures online of the big gaps and fitment issues with their plastic pieces in the interior and the cheap feeling shift ***** and buttons.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by jepva
There is no point to keep on arguing with people who have already made up their mind, who cares. I like the G, some are loving the new F30, that's that.

However, on the whole refinement/luxury thing..I found my G to feel more refined and luxurious inside than the BMW. The BMW is simple and comes off cheap. It has nicer leather, I'll give it that..but the dash and console is more basic and simple and comes off less substantial and cheaper than the G. This is in my '11 G..I know there were some changes and I can see how someone with an '09 G may prefer the BMW interior. However, it is no secret that BMW cut costs with the F30. Fit and finish is pretty bad, you can look at pictures online of the big gaps and fitment issues with their plastic pieces in the interior and the cheap feeling shift ***** and buttons.
The G with the accents is nicer than BMW. The G with the aluminum just is ugly and doesn't belong in a car of this class. Standard BMW interiors are nicer than standard G interiors.

Don't let the cheap plastic fool you, cheap plastic is on almost every vehicle.

I haven't seen any fitment issues on pictures online, or nothing that is worse than the G. Every picture of an F30 the interior looks flawless. And IMO BMW interiors are very classy.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
The G with the accents is nicer than BMW. The G with the aluminum just is ugly and doesn't belong in a car of this class. Standard BMW interiors are nicer than standard G interiors.

Don't let the cheap plastic fool you, cheap plastic is on almost every vehicle.

I haven't seen any fitment issues on pictures online, or nothing that is worse than the G. Every picture of an F30 the interior looks flawless. And IMO BMW interiors are very classy.
yep...just like the cheap plastic chrome that is on my G's center console that creaks as I drive down the road. Or, if i want it to creak on command, I just press on it.

Quick Reply: Poor G :(