G37 Sedan

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
When I'm in stop and go traffic, I usually could manage rolling my G smoothly. It would be nice to have more low end torque, but I could manage it as is. The real problem I have with my G is that it behave over 95+% of the time and then there are few instances when I touch the gas paddle it does not response, then I have to push the gas paddle harder, still no response for a long few seconds, then it take off like a wild beast. This scare the hell out of my passengers (and myself)!!! It happens intermittently once in a blue moon in stop and go traffic. Very dangerous. And this is the biggest problem I have with my G. More low end torque would be nice to have, but I could live with it as is.
Yea this is another issue but it doesn't happen often. My gf mads at me when I do that. She thinks I did it intentionally.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I'm in stop and go traffic, I usually could manage rolling my G smoothly. It would be nice to have more low end torque, but I could manage it as is. The real problem I have with my G is that it behave over 95+% of the time and then there are few instances when I touch the gas paddle it does not response, then I have to push the gas paddle harder, still no response for a long few seconds, then it take off like a wild beast. This scare the hell out of my passengers (and myself)!!! It happens intermittently once in a blue moon in stop and go traffic. Very dangerous. And this is the biggest problem I have with my G. More low end torque would be nice to have, but I could live with it as is.
Originally Posted by kanariya
Yea this is another issue but it doesn't happen often. My gf mads at me when I do that. She thinks I did it intentionally.
Shift thru the gears yourself. It's an automatic, it only knows your intention by reading your throttle input. No matter how they program it people will always complain - too sensitive or not sensitive. If the sudden acceleration scares you then perhaps G25 would've been more suitable.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 AM
jepva

I think my late '11 must have the alleged "2012" improvements or something. My automatic typically gives me three pedal positions and responses- not trying hard, it will accelerate as normal, switching gears around 3k rpm. Push it to the middle, I get decent acceleration and it will downshift to the lower gear starting at around 3k-4k rpm. All the way down, it'll shift to the lowest gear it can and take off at 5k+ RPM. This is how it should work IMO. I guess it knows my driving style very well.

Also, switching over to DS, it knows my performance intentions pretty well. It will hold the gear and downshift more aggressively, giving me a lower gear and higher RPM rounding a corner.

What HappyG's issue sounds like, is basically he is only getting 2 possible outcomes from his transmission, slow or full throttle..where as mine distinctly has three different possibilities. Maybe you should unplug the battery overnight and see if it relearns?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
you can disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, but it will go back to the way it was after a couple thousand miles.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:38 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
you can disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, but it will go back to the way it was after a couple thousand miles.
Exactly!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:02 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by devil2k
Shift thru the gears yourself. It's an automatic, it only knows your intention by reading your throttle input. No matter how they program it people will always complain - too sensitive or not sensitive. If the sudden acceleration scares you then perhaps G25 would've been more suitable.
But then people here are saying the new 3's 8AT is silky smooth with no noticeable lag. Now when we talk about our G's 7AT, people keep saying it is the nature modern automatic transmission with more gears, etc., etc. I'm confused! How come the 3's 8AT transmission with more 1 more gear than my 7AT and does not exhibit any of the described flaws? There is no excuse for such a buggy 7AT!!

The acceleration does not scare me! It is the combination of NOT knowing when it rocket forward and the fact that when it finally launch forward I have to hit the brake hard to avoid kissing the car in front of me, and at the same time, hopefully the car behind me can brake as hard as I can to avoid rear ending me.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by kanariya
I know it does not happen often. But when I does, it could easily cause an accident especially in NYC.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I have the '11 LE and zero complaints with the tranny.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

But then people here are saying the new 3's 8AT is silky smooth with no noticeable lag. Now when we talk about our G's 7AT, people keep saying it is the nature modern automatic transmission with more gears, etc., etc. I'm confused! How come the 3's 8AT transmission with more 1 more gear than my 7AT and does not exhibit any of the described flaws? There is no excuse for such a buggy 7AT!!

The acceleration does not scare me! It is the combination of NOT knowing when it rocket forward and the fact that when it finally launch forward I have to hit the brake hard to avoid kissing the car in front of me, and at the same time, hopefully the car behind me can brake as hard as I can to avoid rear ending me.
I'm saying that it doesn't matter which AT it is, they all react to throttle input. When you plant your foot down, your AT knows that you want to accelerate and pass someone", so it downshifts. When you step on it slightly harder, it may think you just want to speed up a little, so it keeps it in the same gear. This is a 0 or 1 decision for the computer, where do you draw the line between kicking down a gear and staying in the same gear? Different drivers will have different expectations, and therefore shifting thru the gears yourself is the only way to make it behaves the way you want it. You have options, drive in D, DS or manual mode.

I mentioned you should get a G25x because I got one for a loaner once and that 7AT was silky smooth compared to the one in my G37x. They should be the same transmission so I don't know why one is smoother. Perhaps that one was reprogrammed.

I'll admit Infiniti's 7AT isn't the greatest, but that doesn't make our G inferior compared to the 3 series. It's better than G in some ways and worse than G in others. If BMW didn't come up with something competitive then they wouldn't deserve to still be in the business. This is expected in any competitive market. If this makes you feel any better, G37's engine is smoother than the one in 335i, dyno proven.

Fanboys (of any brand) will pick something their cars do better than yours, and beat you to death with it.

They were telling me that the new 3 series is superior to my G because of the fuel economy. I thought they used to laugh at Japanese cars for having small engines and ignored the fuel efficiency. When we talked about it's less impressive interior, they said BMWs are ultimate driving machines and therefore don't need fancy interiors. Okay fine, when I asked about how the underpowered 320i, 323i, 325i & 328i could even be considered as ultimate driving machines, then it's all about 50/50 weight distribution. Infiniti is 52/48 by the way and a person makes a difference of 4% in a car. Of course when asked about all sorts of electronic issues and HPFP, they either said they've been fixed or that money is no object if you're in the market for a luxury car, and these are the same people who are so proud of the 4-year free maintenance, 1-year interval oil change and lease their vehicles. Then they started talking about how easily 335i can be modded to beat any Infiniti when a similarly equipped 335i costs more than a G37 + the cost of a supercharger kit.

Anyone can talk about Subaru/Mitsubishi handling better in snow, Toyota/Lexus being more reliable, BMW having better handling, Volvo being safer, Audi being better looking, Mercedes offering more luxury, and KIA/Hyundai being cheaper in comparison to our G, and come to the conclusion that our G is garbage...

Last edited by devil2k; 03-19-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: fixed my grammer
Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM
jepva

I mentioned you should get a G25x because I got one for a loaner once and that 7AT was silky smooth compared to the one in my G37x. They should be the same transmission so I don't know why one is smoother. Perhaps that one was reprogrammed.
I was going to mention this, and the fact that the 7AT is across the rest of Inifniti's and even Nissan's (in the 370z) lineup yet when I owned my 370Z there were no complaints about the transmission on those forums. It's also used in the M and QX56. The fact that I don't have any issues has me wondering if it's the drivers or really the car in a lot of these instances..

If BMW didn't come up with something competitive then they wouldn't deserve to still be in the business. This is expected in any competitive market. If this makes you feel any better, G37's engine is smoother than the one in 335i, dyno proven.

Fanboys (of any brand) will pick something their cars do better than yours, and beat you to death with it.

Anyone can say that Subaru/Mitsubishi handling better in snow, Toyota/Lexus being more reliable, BMW having better handling, Volvo being safer, Audi being better looking, Mercedes offering more luxury, and KIA/Hyundai being cheaper in comparison to our G, and come to the conclusion that our G is garbage...
THIS. Pretty much sums up the whole thread.. People forget that in 2008 Infiniti was actually first to market with the G37 and set the bar with a 7 speed auto and 330hp in a family sedan. There wasn't much at all in the same class / price range back then that matched it. Gas mileage wasn't the concern then that is is now. 4 years later BMW finally comes out with a turbo 4 and an 8 speed auto (which is the same one in the new Chrysler's, this is nothing special to BMW) to replace its aging 20 year old inline 6 setup and people think its the second coming of Christ..

To be honest I think Infiniti is in a great position here to counter back because BMW showed their cards first. Infiniti/Nissan is also no stranger to turbo's and boost so I really can't wait to see whats in the cards a year or two from now.

P.S. - not that Infiniti might do this, but they could easily add DI (direct injection, currently in the M56) to the VQ37 and throw in the same ZF 8 speed auto and it would probably be at 360hp or so and get 30 mpg on the highway.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM
HappyG

I'm saying that it doesn't matter which AT it is, they all react to throttle input. When you plant your foot down, your AT knows that you want to accelerate and pass someone", so it downshifts. When you step on it slightly harder, it may think you just want to speed up a little, so it keeps it in the same gear. This is a 0 or 1 decision for the computer, where do you draw the line between kicking down a gear and staying in the same gear? Different drivers will have different expectations, and therefore shifting thru the gears yourself is the only way to make it behaves the way you want it. You have options, drive in D, DS or manual mode.
Then how come every other AT I have driven does not behave like this? Another forum member, mikeb2004 had similar 7AT complaints and test drove a new 2012 328i 8AT, he reported the 8AT does not exhibit any of our 7AT bugs. One day I'll go test drive one myself and see.

By the way, DS also lag once you use it enough time.

I drove a loaner G25x. It didn't exhibit the 7AT problems while I was driving it. So did my G37x when I test drove it. This 7AT problem show up much later. And I could reset the ECU and it behave just like any other AT I have driven without intermittent lag. But after a little while like a week or 2 the problem comes back.

The G25x is just not for me. I wouldn't buy it even if it is $10,000 less than my G37x. No thanks, Infiniti.

I'll admit Infiniti's 7AT isn't the greatest, but that doesn't make our G inferior compared to the 3 series. It's better than G in some ways and worse than G in others. If BMW didn't come up with something competitive then they wouldn't deserve to still be in the business. This is expected in any competitive market. If this makes you feel any better, G37's engine is smoother than the one in 335i, dyno proven.
I'm not looking for the greatest AT. I'm just expecting my G37x 7AT to work as my other AT cars I have driven. I don't think I'm asking for too much here. My G37x is great in almost every other area. I don't need to compare it to BMW. Just fix my 7AT issues and I'm happy...I don't care how it compare to the 3 series or any other car.

They were telling me that the new 3 series is superior to my G because of the fuel economy. I thought they used to laugh at Japanese cars for having small engines and ignored the fuel efficiency. When we talked about it's less impressive interior, they said BMWs are ultimate driving machines and therefore don't need fancy interiors. Okay fine, when I asked about how the underpowered 320i, 323i, 325i & 328i could even be considered as ultimate driving machines, then it's all about 50/50 weight distribution. Infiniti is 52/48 by the way and a person makes a difference of 4% in a car. Of course when asked about all sorts of electronic issues and HPFP, they either said they've been fixed or that money is no object if you're in the market for a luxury car, and these are the same people who are so proud of the 4-year free maintenance, 1-year interval oil change and lease their vehicles. Then they started talking about how easily 335i can be modded to beat any Infiniti when a similarly equipped 335i costs more than a G37 + the cost of a supercharger kit.
Nearly all BMW owners I know drives like a grandpa / grandma. They don't know much about their cars. They don't know how many horse power or torque they have. They don't know and don't care how fast they can go. They don't know the difference between V6 and Inline 6...they just know it is a 6 cylinder car. They know they are driving a "BMW"...that's all it matters to them. And most of them don't really care how much they paid for it. I have a lot of respect for the BMW advertising department.

Only 1 person I know who drove a BMW knows about his car.

No offense to BMW drivers, please do not flame. This is just my honest description of the people that I know who own/owned a BMW.

BMW do make great cars. The only issues I had with them was reliability...they rented me rental cars too often. I thought I would never consider BMW again...but I think I'll go test drive a 335 when I'm ready for another car in a year or two. Infiniti will sure loose my business if they don't fix my 7AT soon.

Anyone can say that Subaru/Mitsubishi handling better in snow, Toyota/Lexus being more reliable, BMW having better handling, Volvo being safer, Audi being better looking, Mercedes offering more luxury, and KIA/Hyundai being cheaper in comparison to our G, and come to the conclusion that our G is garbage...
Our G is not garbage. I'm not happy with the 7AT, but that does not make my G garbage. More low end torque would be nice. Better paint would be nice. I'm a happy G owner as long as they fix my 7AT bugs. People are entitled to their own opinions. However they compare my G does not bother me.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I doubt anyone here actually owns a F30, let alone give it a meaningful assessment.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:11 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by 00Max00
I doubt anyone here actually owns a F30, let alone give it a meaningful assessment.
I'm not in a market for a new car right now. In about a year or two I'll be looking for another car. There should be a lot of F30 on the road by that time.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 PM
jepva

Looks like the EPA is revising the F30 328i numbers:
EPA Revises F30 328i Fuel Economy Down. Lots of MPG disappointing. - F30Driver
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6712969

I had a feeling the 36mpg highway was too good to be true at those power levels for a non-diesel, that and since the reviewers only average 25mpg.

Maybe they can stick a 10 speed auto in it next year..
Old 03-19-2012, 07:54 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Too many topics in this post...

I think people are getting confused...

This started out with a 'bad review' of a G25....

If we want to discuss the theory of 'we need more low-end torque' - maybe that should be a different thread.

OR - inability to take off smoothly - different thread

OR - transmission downshift 'lag' - different thread (there are probably 10 of these)

I'm not an admin - but maybe this should be closed so we can stay on some sort of topic. This one has been hi-jacked so many times it's not sure what direction it is going!

Quick Reply: Poor G :(