G37 Sedan

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:10 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya
To be honest the G has no low end torque. It's not good enough for daily drive in metro area. There's the problem when you bought a 300hp car and it doesn't feel anything how a 300hp car should perform from day to day.

Horse power is a gimmick number. So is 0-60. you don't drag race everyday.
People are so overlooked the torque. Torque is what makes the car feel quick, not HP.

When it's a daily driver I'd also concern about the fuel efficiency thus I wouldn't be stomping on the gas pedal at every other stop sign just to feel the power at 4k+ RPM. There's just not enough torque at 1.5-3k RPM.
Huh? Your G doesn't have enough torque to get the car going quickly enough at 1.5-3K RPMs? That doesn't make sense, and I haven't experienced that, at least not on flat roads or mild/moderate inclines. I have noticed some struggling when starting on really steep inclines - kind of a pain, particularly with the manual transmission.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:16 PM
visualguy

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
Oh well, just wait until the new G comes out.
There are some rumors in Japan that Nissan will have direct injection and turbo in their next V6...
Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
Again, the 2012 transmission is fine by all reports, including my personal experience.

What's wrong with the handling? I'd be more concerned about the 2012 328i handling after reading the Edmunds road test.

As to the low-end torque - are you saying that the G doesn't have enough torque for real-life driving? That's insane - the thing is a beast - way more than you need for "real-life" driving!
Yes, I am saying the G doesn't have enough low end torque for real life driving. Sorry, it is not a beast. It may be a beast on paper, and that's pushing it, but like others said, it doesn't feel like a 328hp car without the low end torque. I don't know where you live, but in S. Cal Los Angeles metro, 328hp is meaningless. The G feels heavy and sluggish in the city. Combine that with the 7at always being in such a high gear, it's even worse. The torque is what makes the car go fast at the start. Here, I don't fly down an open highway going from 60-120.

I have not heard solid confirmation that the transmission has been revised for 2012, so I don't know if it's any different. If it's not, then I can say that being you have a 2012, drive it a little longer and see. I didn't notice any of the 7at quirk at first either.

Last edited by sniper27; 03-16-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya
One thing I can certainly tell you is that BMW community has WAY more enthusiasts than Infiniti can ever had. They are a bunch of people who loves driving not like you said. Infiniti community is only a small bunch compared to any others.
Your are exactly right!

Infiniti fans apparently more conscious and know what they are doing than BMW fans have ever been. It doesn't seem like many Infiniti fans accidentally bought a BMW, the reverse is quite true however.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
visualguy

Originally Posted by sniper27
The G feels heavy and sluggish in the city.
Sorry, I haven't noticed that. I can start moving and gain speed from a stop very quickly other than somewhat disappointing starts on steep inclines (which I virtually never encounter in real life).
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The VQ37VHR was introduced 4 years ago to the best of my knowledge (not that this even matters).

Who's complaining about the 2012 automatic transmission? I certainly couldn't detect any problems with extensive driving.

Being on the market for a few years doesn't mean it's "dated". This is not an iPad.
No one may be complaining about the 2012 tranny, but they sure are complaining about the 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 tranny. I have not noticed the tranny problems either, but the 7at is sure not as smooth as my ex-BMW. There are many threads across the internet on this topic. Have you seen any?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry, I haven't noticed that. I can start moving and gain speed from a stop very quickly other than somewhat disappointing starts on steep inclines (which I virtually never encounter in real life).
I'm in a metro area also and can back-up everything sniper says. And no we are not in cohoots.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:12 PM
visualguy

Originally Posted by g37guy01
No one may be complaining about the 2012 tranny, but they sure are complaining about the 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 tranny. I have not noticed the tranny problems either, but the 7at is sure not as smooth as my ex-BMW. There are many threads across the internet on this topic. Have you seen any?
Yes, I've seen Internet threads where people complain about pre-2012 auto trannies. On the other hand, before buying the auto G37, I asked half a dozen colleagues who own an auto G37 (all pre-2012) whether they noticed the problems reported in these threads, and none of them experienced these issues. Maybe because they don't read these forums...

All I know is that I'm not experiencing any hesitation, confused shifts, or other problems with mine, and neither does anyone else that I know.

There may or may not have been issues with tranny behavior in some cases - I don't know. However, I've seen Internet self-feeding snowballing copycat reactions happening in many cases before. It's more common in audiophile forums, but happens with cars as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:17 PM
sniper27

Visualguy - where are you from? The tranny issues are mostly present where individuals drive heavily in metro areas where there are lots of traffic, stop and go, or low speed driving. Those who cruise the open highway don't see a lot of the issues.

Again, the 7at issues were not noticed the first few months of owing the car. It really started getting bad after about 6 months, but that depends on the miles you drive. I average about 700 miles on the G a month, so my 6 months may be 3 for you.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:33 PM
visualguy

Visualguy - where are you from? The tranny issues are mostly present where individuals drive heavily in metro areas where there are lots of traffic, stop and go, or low speed driving. Those who cruise the open highway don't see a lot of the issues.

Again, the 7at issues were not noticed the first few months of owing the car. It really started getting bad after about 6 months, but that depends on the miles you drive. I average about 700 miles on the G a month, so my 6 months may be 3 for you.
I'm in the SF Bay Area. I put 1500 miles on the car so far. I average about the same mileage as you per month, so I guess I'll see in 4 months if I notice anything. Like I said, none of the 6 people I know who own this car noticed anything, and they have a lot more miles on their cars.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:45 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
You should have heard many complaints about the new 7/8 speed ATs which were designed mostly for fuel econ. It is not an Infiniti specific thing, there's nothing wrong with the tranny by design, especially when totally absent in spirited driving. The low speed hesitation especially from a dead stop is mostly for fuel economy. Forget about better acceleration the marketing dpt.s lead you to believe, you are simply not accelerating during shifts. And those 8s have super high ratio on top gears, and tell me how that helps acceleration.

To be fair, Infiniti does not do worse than any other makers in this regard. Check out the new 8-speed A6 and let me know what you think. My teammate who bought it swear it would be her last Audi, but also the first actually. Can you believe a 4-speed 15 years old Lexus shifts smoother than those state-of-the-art 8-speeds? Like I have told you many times, your neighbor's lawn was not greener.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by 00Max00
You should have heard many complaints about the new 7/8 speed ATs which were designed mostly for fuel econ. It is not an Infiniti specific thing, there's nothing wrong with the tranny by design, especially when totally absent in spirited driving. The low speed hesitation especially from a dead stop is mostly for fuel economy. Forget about better acceleration the marketing dpt.s lead you to believe, you are simply not accelerating during shifts. And those 8s have super high ratio on top gears, and tell me how that helps acceleration.

To be fair, Infiniti does not do worse than any other makers in this regard. Check out the new 8-speed A6 and let me know what you think. My teammate who bought it swear it would be her last Audi, but also the first actually. Can you believe a 4-speed 15 years old Lexus shifts smoother than those state-of-the-art 8-speeds? Like I have told you many times, your neighbor's lawn was not greener.
this may be true, but that's where the FI comes in play with it's massive low end torque. The 7AT in my 2011 A6 3.0T is smooth and nothing like the G. But again, I have the low end torque of the supercharger.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 PM
sniper27

I'm in the SF Bay Area. I put 1500 miles on the car so far. I average about the same mileage as you per month, so I guess I'll see in 4 months if I notice anything. Like I said, none of the 6 people I know who own this car noticed anything, and they have a lot more miles on their cars.
SF bay area gets their fair share of traffic. So if you're getting a lot of that, then yes, wait a couple more months. 1500 miles is too early to tell. I can reset my ECU and it will drive like a dream for a couple thousand miles. Then it's back to it's quirky self.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
visualguy

SF bay area gets their fair share of traffic. So if you're getting a lot of that, then yes, wait a couple more months. 1500 miles is too early to tell. I can reset my ECU and it will drive like a dream for a couple thousand miles. Then it's back to it's quirky self.
Ok, I'll post here if I notice a change in behavior. Right now, it drives great - no complaints about the shifting. I don't hesitate to complain when I notice real problems, and I'm quite picky, so rest assured that I will complain if it indeed starts acting weird after a while...
Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
Anyone arguing the nissan 7at is better than the 8AT is frankly kidding themselves or delusional.
Actually - I don't think I said that, did I? I said that the transmission (in my 2012) has "done everything right for ME to date". Unsure what year yours is. By reading these forums, I do believe the earlier years had some sorts of problems. Also - I'm not saying the BMW 8at is a bad trans. Nor am I saying the 7at is better. ZF does build fine transmissions.

Let me preface the next statement as JUST MY OPINION: in a search for greater efficiency, the manufacturers have added more (and more) gears to their trannys. This gives a higher ratio spread, allows for short 1st/2nd/etc gears with tall (7/8/whatever) gears. But if the trans is 'caught off guard' in top gear, it has to shift down one gear at at time. No getting around it. So if you are in (7th or 8th - whatever top gear you may have) and the situation calls for 3rd - it has to cycle through the gears. That is different than if your top gear is 5th - or..god forbid...4th! The more ratios, the more time spent shifting. (a CVT is another matter altogether)

I do understand what you are saying about the 8at being in the right gear at the right time. For me - just the other day - I took a different route home thru some twisty sections. Hard deceleration caused the tranny to downshift appropriately. When I got back on the gas, it was in the correct gear (I felt / heard the downshifts - not jarring, but I knew it was there). I was somewhat surprised (after all, I read all the comments here!) and I was in 'normal' (not-sport) mode.

I am sorry for your situation. It must suck to be that disappointed with a purchase only 1 year after acquisition - to the point of getting rid of it. I am simply saying - I am not disappointed. In fact - just the opposite.

Quick Reply: Poor G :(