G37 Sedan

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
You fail in reading comprehension because you obviously missed my whole point. I said I buy a car on overall value, not because of the badge. I can guarantee you that 70% of the people who will buy this new 328 buy it because it's a BMW - they have no idea what turbo, ZF 8 speed, handling, etc. they don't care about that. We are actually quite a small group of the population who are enthusiasts on this forum. We don't buy like the the rest of the public. I saw all of the BMW kool aid sipping on here, went for a few test drives, and came back and posted my actual review after having the G and driving the BMWs - from an enthusiast perspective. My conclusion is that for an enthusiast, the 328i is NOT the answer. A lot of this has to do with MPGs apparently - I could care less and I am happy with my 22mpg I get. Buying the BMW and getting 30 mpg is not a big factor for me, and the fact that it does NOT handle as well (fact) and is not as fast (fact) will make me not buy it. I did the whole turbo 4 thing for awhile and I've come to appreciate the V6 in the G.

I just find it funny that you guys are calling yourselves enthusiasts yet you're seriously on here worshipping the new 328..it is not really an enthusiasts car. If you want to talk 335i, that's another story..that's a much better buy if you ask me. Honestly if you want the new 328i, then you should actually be looking at a new Camry SE - it gets 31mpg on the highway while also beating the 328i at its own games and needing only regular gas.
One thing I can certainly tell you is that BMW community has WAY more enthusiasts than Infiniti can ever had. They are a bunch of people who loves driving not like you said. Infiniti community is only a small bunch compared to any others.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
The 7AT is seldom in the right gear for spirited driving.
I don't know about earlier model years, but I haven't noticed any of these problems driving the 2012 7AT. Seems to upshift and downshift correctly, and get quickly in the right gear for quick acceleration when I press the gas pedal strongly enough.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
kanariya

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
People post that the 8at is great - or even perfect?

Check out the C&D review of the 528 (yes I know, it is NOT the 328 but I believe it is the same engine/trans combo). I admit - tuning MAY be different.

I quote "Actually, the eight-speed's main goal seems to be trying to shift itself into top gear. Once there, the transmission is RELUCTANT to downshift through multiple ratios. Stomp on the gas in eight, and the 528i pauses as it considers your request before FINALLY delivering the appropriate cog. Switching to sport mode helps: Lower gears are held longer but at the price of economy" (note: CAPITALIZATION added for effect )

Interesting - no? Sounds like the way some people explain our 7at on this board.

The article then goes on to say the steering is "light and numb" and handling is "ponderous". I'll say it again - I believe (my opinion only!) that BMW has lost it's way. I'm almost sad to see a new (GIANT!) 5 series - I used to be a proud owner of a E39 540 (which I believe my G37 would beat the crap out of).

Anyway - I'm not saying BMW is bad - not saying BMW is better. I do believe that - as they have evolved, they have gone more mainstream to appeal to a larger audience. They are in the business to make money - selling more cars generally means making more money (unless you are GM for some reason).

I'm sure the new 328i is a fine car. No doubt it has some advantages and some disadvantages compare to our G's. I could say the same about many cars. Again - the nameplate is all some people want. They don't care if the suspension sucks, or the engine is silent. They just want to be known as driving a "BMW".

I think my 2012 G is one of the best cars (so far) that I have ever owned. The trans has done everything right for me to date. Exhaust sound is refined, performance in all aspects has been above my expectations. I researched the car before signing up for one (or two). For my money, it was the best choice. And yes - money always matters (to me). I work 9-5 (or actually 7 - seemingly forever). If I was independently wealthy - or even dependently wealthy - I may be driving something else. Actually - I'd have a different car for every day of the week - but I digress...
I don't understand. Why don't you go read some REAL 3 series reviews? Or even go for a test drive? Instead of judging the 3 with a 5 series review?

I too thought my 09 G was the best car I had when I just had it. But things change and better things came out. Comparing the G to the last gen 328 I would pick the G. but against the new 328 the G looks dated.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
visualguy

Originally Posted by kanariya
I don't understand. Why don't you go read some REAL 3 series reviews? Or even go for a test drive? Instead of judging the 3 with a 5 series review?
Well, here's a very recent 2012 328i sedan road test:

2012 BMW 328i Sedan Road Test

It's quite mixed. They weren't all that happy with the new electric steering, the brakes which feel almost mushy and show fade, and the tires. They thought the E90 3-series was better.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I can certainly tell you is that BMW community has WAY more enthusiasts than Infiniti can ever had. They are a bunch of people who loves driving not like you said. Infiniti community is only a small bunch compared to any others.
*Exactly*. And all of the diehard BMW enthusiasts are largely *hating* on the new F30 as its a departure from true BMW underpinnings and another step back as far as they're concerned. But in the scheme of things, even all of Bimmefest and E90 post doesn't make up a scant majority of BMW buyers. Most of them are sorority transports.

I too thought my 09 G was the best car I had when I just had it. But things change and better things came out. Comparing the G to the last gen 328 I would pick the G. but against the new 328 the G looks dated.
So now it's about looks? I think you're really barking up the wrong tree with that one. Looks is always subjective, but few would agree the F30 has good looks, especially compared to a G.

Gas mileage is a fine argument..of course performance and mileage are not mutually exclusive, but if that's what you're really after, get a 335D. Much much more performance AND better MPGs than a new F30 328i. Sure, it's still the E90 and hard to find new 2011's at this point but the E90 part is a plus in my book. I was seriously going to buy one until the test drive.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 PM
kanariya

Originally Posted by jepva
*Exactly*. And all of the diehard BMW enthusiasts are largely *hating* on the new F30 as its a departure from true BMW underpinnings and another step back as far as they're concerned. But in the scheme of things, even all of Bimmefest and E90 post doesn't make up a scant majority of BMW buyers. Most of them are sorority transports.

So now it's about looks? I think you're really barking up the wrong tree with that one. Looks is always subjective, but few would agree the F30 has good looks, especially compared to a G.

Gas mileage is a fine argument..of course performance and mileage are not mutually exclusive, but if that's what you're really after, get a 335D. Much much more performance AND better MPGs than a new F30 328i. Sure, it's still the E90 and hard to find new 2011's at this point but the E90 part is a plus in my book. I was seriously going to buy one until the test drive.
I dont know where you get that from. I'm quiet active over the Bimmer forums and most of the people there were very excited for the new F30. Especially for the 328 after all the reviews and dynos came out.

By look I didn't mean the appearance. I mean it as a whole, the G is dated. The competitor raised the benchmark. Infiniti is playing catch up and they have a lot of work to do.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:43 PM
kanariya

Originally Posted by visualguy
Well, here's a very recent 2012 328i sedan road test:

2012 BMW 328i Sedan Road Test

It's quite mixed. They weren't all that happy with the new electric steering, the brakes which feel almost mushy and show fade, and the tires. They thought the E90 3-series was better.
If you only read one of the few mixed reviews and dismiss all the great reviews out there, I get it.

It's true that the brakes aren't the best brakes out there. The new steering is electric and not hydraulic. Most of the reviews said the new steering did not disappoint. Even Porsche went electric steering with the new models. The tires, yea. RFT. not everyone likes them and I personally would prefer normal tires + spare. But that doesnt stop me to drop a set of pilot super sport on it.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM
visualguy

By look I didn't mean the appearance. I mean it as a whole, the G is dated. The competitor raised the benchmark. Infiniti is playing catch up and they have a lot of work to do.
G sedan sales are holding up nicely - it just had its second-best February in its history. It's still a better choice than the 2012 328i in my opinion, and I don't see how it's "dated". Yes, it has been around for a few years, but that's a good thing because it means the bugs have been fixed by now. Anyway, it looks like there will be some interesting developments after the redesign, including a new V6 engine at some point.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
kanariya

G sedan sales are holding up nicely - it just had its second-best February in its history. It's still a better choice than the 2012 328i in my opinion, and I don't see how it's "dated". Yes, it has been around for a few years, but that's a good thing because it means the bugs have been fixed by now. Anyway, it looks like there will be some interesting developments after the redesign, including a new V6 engine at some point.
That's good to know but I would like to see some sources.

I sometimes check the sales number and Infiniti has been dropping YoY except for February with a marginal increase.

February 2012: Leap Year Edition

By the Numbers News - Autoblog
Old 03-16-2012, 02:24 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll take a pass on it's a better choice than the 328. The G is a little dated. The FM platform is years old, the engine is 6 years old. The stereo is 6 years old. The bugs are not out. If they were, people wouldn't be complaining about the transmission.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
At least they know what they want and had no regret to their decision. Alas... The worst nightmare is when BMW fanboys bought an Infiniti...
I guess I'm a fanboy, even though I've made it clear I'm not. But you're entitled to your opinion. And yes, I bought an Infiniti and will not buy another one until they improve their transmission, handling, and low end torque. Those are important to me because I don't spend my day racing down an open highway trying to see how fast I can get from 60-120. I drive my car in real life situations, with stop and go traffic, traffic lights, etc. And yes, if the current 328 was available when I was shopping for the G, I would have bought that instead. But it wasn't. So no, it is not a regret in decision. The option wasn't available.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:34 PM
visualguy

Originally Posted by g37guy01
I'll take a pass on it's a better choice than the 328. The G is a little dated. The FM platform is years old, the engine is 6 years old. The stereo is 6 years old. The bugs are not out. If they were, people wouldn't be complaining about the transmission.
The VQ37VHR was introduced 4 years ago to the best of my knowledge (not that this even matters).

Who's complaining about the 2012 automatic transmission? I certainly couldn't detect any problems with extensive driving.

Being on the market for a few years doesn't mean it's "dated". This is not an iPad.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:43 PM
visualguy

Originally Posted by sniper27
And yes, I bought an Infiniti and will not buy another one until they improve their transmission, handling, and low end torque. Those are important to me because I don't spend my day racing down an open highway trying to see how fast I can get from 60-120. I drive my car in real life situations, with stop and go traffic, traffic lights, etc.
Again, the 2012 transmission is fine by all reports, including my personal experience.

What's wrong with the handling? I'd be more concerned about the 2012 328i handling after reading the Edmunds road test.

As to the low-end torque - are you saying that the G doesn't have enough torque for real-life driving? That's insane - the thing is a beast - way more than you need for "real-life" driving!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:39 PM
kanariya

Again, the 2012 transmission is fine by all reports, including my personal experience.

What's wrong with the handling? I'd be more concerned about the 2012 328i handling after reading the Edmunds road test.

As to the low-end torque - are you saying that the G doesn't have enough torque for real-life driving? That's insane - the thing is a beast - way more than you need for "real-life" driving!
To be honest the G has no low end torque. It's not good enough for daily drive in metro area. There's the problem when you bought a 300hp car and it doesn't feel anything how a 300hp car should perform from day to day.

Horse power is a gimmick number. So is 0-60. you don't drag race everyday.
People are so overlooked the torque. Torque is what makes the car feel quick, not HP.

When it's a daily driver I'd also concern about the fuel efficiency thus I wouldn't be stomping on the gas pedal at every other stop sign just to feel the power at 4k+ RPM. There's just not enough torque at 1.5-3k RPM.

Right now I'm not even comparing the G to any other cars. I'm just stating the lackluster from the G. Which I experienced from over 2 years of driving. If the G fills my need, why would I look out for other brands that's more expensive.

That being said I do enjoy driving the G in sport mode on highway. But due to geographical issue I'm stuck on the stop and go traffic 80% of the time which the G isn't doing a good job on. If the G is the right car for you, good for you. Everyone has different needs.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:59 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^well the only reason you think it's torque-less is because it isn't boosted. Instead of spending the time to built a nice N/A application, most of these German cars are just playing with boost. If you guys recall the times when BMW's 3 series was n/a, you will remember how ****ty their engines were. They were making 220hp when Infiniti was at 280. Oh well, just wait until the new G comes out.

Last edited by 6mtg37s; 03-16-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Poor G :(