G37 Sedan

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sniper27
non sport = base or journey. not S. not 100% sure of xS, but i'm pretty sure the rwd S have stiffer suspension, not just swaybars.
Nope, it is just a sway. And if you want to include steering as suspension, it has a tighter steering ratio (although I did not notice this much when I test drove a 6mt either). Do some search on the forums, that is the case. xS is only appearance sport package, we do not get the bigger brakes, vlsd, steering ratio, or thicker rear sway. While I find the stiffer suspension on the G a plus, for most of the buying public this is not the case. A lot find it to ride too stiff over bumps or the highway when cruising, which is what I like, so they end up going to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. for that more floaty luxury ride.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:08 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
Nope, it is just a sway. And if you want to include steering as suspension, it has a tighter steering ratio (although I did not notice this much when I test drove a 6mt either). Do some search on the forums, that is the case. xS is only appearance sport package, we do not get the bigger brakes, vlsd, steering ratio, or thicker rear sway. While I find the stiffer suspension on the G a plus, for most of the buying public this is not the case. A lot find it to ride too stiff over bumps or the highway when cruising, which is what I like, so they end up going to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. for that more floaty luxury ride.
Stiffer in G does not necessarily amount to better handling than the 3 series. While I haven't driven the new models yet, the previous 3 series was somehow had awesome handling along with the compliant ride. With the G some of the roads I go over shake my dentures loose.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:40 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Stiffer in G does not necessarily amount to better handling than the 3 series. While I haven't driven the new models yet, the previous 3 series was somehow had awesome handling along with the compliant ride. With the G some of the roads I go over shake my dentures loose.
Yes, I know what you are trying to say, and that's why I said it comes down to preference. It's not jarring or enough to bother me, but I can see how it might be stiffer than some may like. Just my preference, although I don't know how anyone could "appreciate" the nose diving I felt in the 3.

The 3 series has never posted better #'s than the G through a slalom or skidpad, and that's with the G having crappier tires to begin with.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, it doesn't, and neither does the 335d (although it had a deeper growl), but I have tons of friends with a 135 or 335i and stock the exhaust is still not as loud or nice as a the G. I have a G sedan and never noticed a difference with the exhaust on the coupe. Mine seems plenty loud for stock. Almost sounds like a V8 really. Not a lot of cars like that, at least stock. Cars with a turbo will never be as loud or nice sounding (as far as exhaust, talking exclusive of the turbo spool here) because a turbo naturally quiets the whole exhaust process.

Yes, forgot to mention this. The ZF 8 speed is very nice. Same ones Audi has been using for awhile now. However, I didn't notice that it was any better/much better than the 7 speed in the G. I don't have all the issues some do with the transmission in the G..I'm convinced people make that up.

Of course the gas mileage is better. Most NA motors cannot touch turbo gas mileage. However, buying a $40k car gas mileage was not my concern, and I'm not missng the $100/month I might save having a 328i. If people on here really need to save money on gas they shouldn't be buying a G/328 period.
The G sedan is silent compared to the G coupe. The G coupe along with the FX have awesome exhaust note from low speed. I don't hear it from the G sedan.

The 8AT is MUCH better than the 7AT found in the G. It's smooth and quick. Also the 50/50 weight distribution. The G's 7AT is sometimes jerky and you really can't call it smooth.

I'm not sure about the sport package for RWD but on Infiniti's website it clearly stated "Sport-tuned suspension with upgraded springs and double piston shock absorbers" for sport package.

The good gas mileage is not all about money. It also says the car's efficiency. The 3 gets way better MPG than the G with minimal performance downgrade. Actually it has way better low end torque, which makes it a much better city friendly car.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Like I said, OVERALL it just felt like a cheaper car, and definitely not something I would pay more for or get too excited about like everyone on this forum. At the end of day, I wanted back in the G, not the 3 series.
No, NOT everyone excited about it. If you follow this thread closely, you know you are not alone. I have test driven '11 328 and 335 a few times before deciding buying my G37. Many of your points about F30 are also applicable to E90. 3s are small cars with tiny back seat only for kids, but felt big when drove one. Anyway, I do not want to repeat what I have said before or I will be branded as BMW hater, probably already did. I just never understood all the BMW enthusiasm on this forum.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by kanariya
The G sedan is silent compared to the G coupe. The G coupe along with the FX have awesome exhaust note from low speed. I don't hear it from the G sedan.

The 8AT is MUCH better than the 7AT found in the G. It's smooth and quick. Also the 50/50 weight distribution. The G's 7AT is sometimes jerky and you really can't call it smooth.

I'm not sure about the sport package for RWD but on Infiniti's website it clearly stated "Sport-tuned suspension with upgraded springs and double piston shock absorbers" for sport package.

The good gas mileage is not all about money. It also says the car's efficiency. The 3 gets way better MPG than the G with minimal performance downgrade. Actually it has way better low end torque, which makes it a much better city friendly car.
I have the awesome "low speed" exhaust note you are talking about, as well any other G. The exhaust is not different. My 7AT shifts smooth and quick too, like I said I don't have the much talked about transmission issue everyone else does. You have an '09, I have a new '11.

And no, the RWD Sport definitely does not get you different shocks and springs. It's just a sway dude. Not sure where you read that, but it doesn't that say now. Maybe a few years back.

Go buy a new 328i dude, and keep drinking the BMW cool-aid. No one ever said you had to keep the G, I was just on here posting MY OBSERVATIONS after a test drive. If you have to have a new 328i, go get one.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
I just never understood all the BMW enthusiasm on this forum.
Must be because it's the closest car to the G in terms of its driving experience. Each car has its advantages and disadvantages, so there isn't a clear winner (assuming the extra $10K for the BMW is acceptable - the G easily wins the sports sedan value-for-money comparison if you look at the car holistically).

If Infiniti manages to improve a few things in the upcoming redesign, I think the BMW obsession here will largely go away...
Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I have the awesome "low speed" exhaust note you are talking about, as well any other G. The exhaust is not different. My 7AT shifts smooth and quick too, like I said I don't have the much talked about transmission issue everyone else does. You have an '09, I have a new '11.

And no, the RWD Sport definitely does not get you different shocks and springs. It's just a sway dude. Not sure where you read that, but it doesn't that say now. Maybe a few years back.
from Infiniti USA site when you build a G37.

Sport Package (as well as 6MT Sport):

18 x 7.5-inch (front) and 18 x 8.5-inch (rear), split 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R18 (front) and 245/45R18 (rear) W-rated summer performance tires 14.7:1 sport-tuned steering gear Sport brakes View Additional Features Sport-tuned suspension with upgraded springs and double piston shock absorbers Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD) Sport front fascia, side sills and unique sport headlights

The upgraded swaybar only applies to the xS, which is what you have. And I guess everyone has a different idea of the awsome "low speed" exhaust note. If you have a sedan, sorry, it sounds nothing like the coupe of FX.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 PM
kanariya

Go buy a new 328i dude, and keep drinking the BMW cool-aid. No one ever said you had to keep the G, I was just on here posting MY OBSERVATIONS after a test drive. If you have to have a new 328i, go get one.
Never heard any note from the sedan. In fact they do sound different if you would do a quick search on the forum.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...k-exhaust.html

Check the website for the suspension.

Yes I will be getting the F30 when my G's lease ends. You don't have to worry about it. I certainly won't be getting a 2013 G when the redesign drops in 2014.

Anyways, I respect your opinion since you actually went for a test drive instead of blindly bashing the competitors. Everyone has different preference and different needs for their cars. You don't like the 3 but many others will. Same with the G.

Last edited by kanariya; 03-15-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Never heard any note from the sedan. In fact they do sound different if you would do a quick search on the forum.

Yes I will be getting the F30 when my G's lease ends. You don't have to worry about it. I certainly won't be getting a 2013 G when the redesign drops on 2014.

Anyways, I respect your opinion since you actually went for a test drive instead of blindly bashing the competitors. Everyone has different preference and different needs for their cars. You don't like the 3 but many others will. Same with the G.
my 11' sedan is very quiet. I think it turns to what year sedan you got, 09s are usually louder but 11's are really quiet, i've driven the 335i, noisy and you could hear even though driving locally. too bad but thats a fact
Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 PM
kanariya

Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
my 11' sedan is very quiet. I think it turns to what year sedan you got, 09s are usually louder but 11's are really quiet, i've driven the 335i, noisy and you could hear even though driving locally. too bad but thats a fact
are you talking about the exhaust note or the road noise?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 PM
jepva

Well, like I said im pretty sure either of them are louder and better sounding than any 3 series, stock. It's pretty loud at startup and idle if you asked me. I will have to pay even extra attention next time I see a coupe around, but I plan to upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust regardless.

As far as the suspension, it's really news to me that the RWD sport would actually have completely different springs and shocks. Not sure if that's a '12 thing or not, but I recently just drove a '12 Sport 6MT and I did not notice much of a difference at all in the handling. It would seem if it was that different people would be reselling their OEM Sport springs and shocks on here, but all I ever see for sale is the sways. Not sure what the deal is really.

I would not rule out something new for the G in 2013. They are pretty tight lipped about everything right now. Apparently most dealers didn't even know about the JX until recently and Infiniti sort of just dropped it in their laps. If Infiniti is really threatened by BMW sales I doubt they will sit idly. I would expect some changes for 2013..
Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I took a 2012 328i sedan for a test drive today. $42 on the window nicely equipped. I'll be driving another couple 328i's to confirm my initial impressions.

Since my main complaints with my 2011 G37 are the transmission and to a lesser extent the lack of torque, that's what I'm going to emphasize...

The 8sp auto trans on the 328 is perfection. Took a nice long drive, with plenty of aggressive acceleration and braking and some city type driving during which I confirmed there were no strange lag issues. You do not need paddles on the BMW, because well, it's always in the right gear and responds literally instantly to throttle input. I got back in my G and frankly I just rolled my eyes.

TORQUE: Wow, lots of torque from the 4 cylinder turbo. It pulls really hard, hitting peak torque, I am told, (260?) at 1500 rpm. I believe it. Very satisfying to drive. It might lose a drag race to the G37 by a half second, but 0-to-60 is not what it's all about.

Infiniti has a LOT of work to do, IMO, and I say that as someone who's owned Infinitis for almost 8 years. I am not a BMW fanboy, and I think they're overpriced and underreliable, but wow this comparison is night and day, to me. I feel the drivetrain in the BMW is worlds better. More refined, smoother, smarter, way better torque curve, more immediate shifts, consistent firm quick feel to the shifts when you're stomping on it, but super smooth when you are gently accelerating. I can not believe I am car shopping again just 10 months after buying a new 2011 G37......

Last edited by mikeb2004; 03-15-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:47 PM
sniper27

rwd sport suspension is not a 2012 thing. people don't buy rwd sport suspension because it is not a drastic change. although better than a base or journey non sport, if one is going to swap suspension, they go aftermarket for something more worthwhile. However, for the X, the sport sway bar (even the rwd non sport sway) makes a huge difference.

your exhaust note is only loud for about 3 seconds at startup, or the first 30 seconds in the morning (cold). other than that, it is nothing like the coupe.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I took a 2012 328i for a test drive today. $42 on the window nicely equipped.

Since my main complaints with the G is the transmission and to a lesser extent the lack of torque, that's what I'm going to emphasize...

The 8sp auto trans on the 328 is perfection. Took a nice long drive, with plenty of aggressive acceleration and braking and some city type driving during which I confirmed there were no strange lag issues. You do not need paddles on the BMW, because well, it's always in the right gear and responds literally instantly to throttle input. I got back in my G and frankly I just rolled my eyes.

TORQUE: Wow, lots of torque from the 4 cylinder turbo. It pulls really hard, hitting peak torque, I am told, (260?) at 1500 rpm. I believe it. Very satisfying to drive. It might lose a drag race to the G37 by a half second, but 0-to-60 is not what it's all about.

Infiniti has a LOT of work to do, IMO, and I say that as someone who's owned Infinitis for almost 8 years. I am not a BMW fanboy, and I think they're overpriced and underreliable, but wow this comparison is night and day, to me. I feel the drivetrain in the BMW is worlds better. More refined, smoother, smarter, way better torque curve, more immediate shifts, consistent firm quick feel to the shifts when you're stomping on it, but super smooth when you are gently accelerating.
Agreed. Infiniti die hards cannot grasp that concept, it seems. they are so focused on the better reliability and the price tag. And no, I am not a fanboy either. I have my G, as well as a M35. I don't own a BMW. I'm just not afraid to appreciate them and admit it is better, regardless of the price difference. And one might think...there is a reason why that is. You get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Poor G :(