G37 Sedan

new 328 is out, close to pricing of 2012 G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Mocoso
Yes there are equal or better cars out there but arguing which is better based on 0-60 and MPG distorts reality... there are so many other factors that go into which car to buy. For me, BMW can have the best performance and I still wouldnt buy one for the following reasons:
1. Reliability sucks (I had 9 window regulators break under warranty and the entire car started falling apart at 90K miles from upholstery to engine and this was on a well taken care of garaged car)
2. I had better service from dealer of my Mazdaspeed than from BMW - if you think they will treat you right driving a 3 series you are in for a rude awakening...
3. I got tired of being associated with the 95% of BMW drivers who are total AHoles... its not the ultimate driving machine its the ultimate ahole machine...
4. The looks on the car get funkier and funkier
5. Lack of value... what you get for what you pay once you start throwing options in borderlines on the outrageous
6. Looked into adding any mods? get ready to pay
7. Dealer mechanics do not fix they replace which means your service charges specially after warranty are going to be outrageous. And parts for the things carry a hefty premium even if you take it outside the dealer
8. Had a very crappy experience in their design center here in Southern Ca - talk about snob attitude -

The point is what is a better car for me or you will vary depending on needs and wants and personal preferences. I for one think arguing which car is better based purely on 0-60 and quarter miles is like saying which woman is prettier based on breast size alone.
Well put, our 745Li was a cash cow, and although it was truly travelling in style it was rather terrifying now knowing if the computer module was ready to go south or the transmission clunking would soon turn into a stranded vehicle. As much as I like the drive of the BMWs I'd much rather sacrifice some cache and a bit tighter handling for a car that will get me from point A to point B without worry. We also don't have a BMW dealer within 180 miles so the regular service trips would be a deal killer.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCePtak0n
Going to check out a 335 this evening so I'll give my reviews by tonight...
i actually went into BMW of Seattle a couple days ago to check out the 335i sport as well. not the best looking rendition, purely in my own opinion, but the actual vehicle itself's (interior) INCREDIBLE. the block's made of magnesium composite (meh) and the whole 50/50 weight distribution REALLY shines when you push the car around corners. it doesn't have any of that nose dive our G's experience. everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, is integrated through the navigation system. you get freaking notifications via your car (via your phone's internet) from the dealership. you can also send information to the dealer,etc.. HUD's incredibly clear and the 8spd (never knew) DOES NOT HUNT one bit. heated steering wheel, auto start-stop...list goes on and on!

f***ing impressive.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Jayhawk815

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eksigned
i actually went into BMW of Seattle a couple days ago to check out the 335i sport as well. not the best looking rendition, purely in my own opinion, but the actual vehicle itself's (interior) INCREDIBLE. the block's made of magnesium composite (meh) and the whole 50/50 weight distribution REALLY shines when you push the car around corners. it doesn't have any of that nose dive our G's experience. everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, is integrated through the navigation system. you get freaking notifications via your car (via your phone's internet) from the dealership. you can also send information to the dealer,etc.. HUD's incredibly clear and the 8spd (never knew) DOES NOT HUNT one bit. heated steering wheel, auto start-stop...list goes on and on!

f***ing impressive.
Sounds nice, but what was the sticker on that bad boy?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
Sounds nice, but what was the sticker on that bad boy?
I think the over/under would be about $58k, I think I'll take the over
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by eksigned

f***ing impressive.
I had a horrible experience at BMW of Seattle. Almost bought a 335 and ended up walking away because of the dealership..... Awful.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by gugarci
Found a review for the 335i where they mention the new 328i handles better.
"More importantly, the lighter 328i clobbers the 335i in the corners. We considered the 335i to be the on-track benchmark of the near-luxury sport sedan segment -- until we drove the four-cylinder. The 335i turns in with rubbery reluctance and then settles into mild understeer. The 328i does nothing of the sort -- despite what feels like more body roll from behind the wheel, the four-cylinder Bimmer throws itself at corners like teenage girls at Justin Bieber: with controlled wags of the hips and a breathtaking amount of confidence. The 335i might still be a better corner carver than its chief rivals, but it's no match for the 328i."
First Drive: 2012 BMW 335i - Automobile Magazine
Keep reading

"So if it's barely faster in a straight line and not quite as great in corners, why would you buy the 335i? To be honest, if you're looking at an automatic 3-series, it's a hard sell. But with a manual, it's no contest -- the 335i is the better car. BMW muted the four-cylinder's noise far more than the blown six's, which was the right choice -- nobody wants to hear a four-cylinder in an expensive car. But that means driving the 328i with a manual requires a lot more attention: you can barely hear or feel the engine, so you wind up taking off with way too many revs -- or stalling it. Revving the engine out in each gear brings no acoustic pleasure, so you short-shift it and ride the enormous wave of low-end torque. And all the while, you're thinking that you'd be just as happy with the automatic.
In the 335i, you revel in the engine's noise. Its broad, flat torque curve means you don't have to rev the engine -- but you want to. You want to hear it, you want to feel it, and you wind up loving it. More so than ever, it's an emotional decision rather than a rational one -- but with three pedals in the driver's footwell, there's still no sport sedan better than a BMW 335i. "
Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes there are equal or better cars out there but arguing which is better based on 0-60 and MPG distorts reality... there are so many other factors that go into which car to buy. For me, BMW can have the best performance and I still wouldnt buy one for the following reasons:
1. Reliability sucks (I had 9 window regulators break under warranty and the entire car started falling apart at 90K miles from upholstery to engine and this was on a well taken care of garaged car)
2. I had better service from dealer of my Mazdaspeed than from BMW - if you think they will treat you right driving a 3 series you are in for a rude awakening...
3. I got tired of being associated with the 95% of BMW drivers who are total AHoles... its not the ultimate driving machine its the ultimate ahole machine...
5. Lack of value... what you get for what you pay once you start throwing options in borderlines on the outrageous
7. Dealer mechanics do not fix they replace which means your service charges specially after warranty are going to be outrageous. And parts for the things carry a hefty premium even if you take it outside the dealer
8. Had a very crappy experience in their design center here in Southern Ca - talk about snob attitude -

The point is what is a better car for me or you will vary depending on needs and wants and personal preferences. I for one think arguing which car is better based purely on 0-60 and quarter miles is like saying which woman is prettier based on breast size alone.

Well said my friend!
I like to read honest reviews like this.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
While the 328i seemed appealing at first, it's not all it's cracked up to be. You will be lucky to ever hit near the claimed 36mpg highway, I think real world average is more around 26. C&D did the same drive on the new 2012 Camry SE, the Camry is actually faster with it's NA V6 and also uses regular gas. So if you want MPG's and decent fast, get the new Camry. (5-60 is way better than the 328i, also traps 101mph in the 1/4)

Coming from a turbo 4 banger (well many of them, but last was the VW GTI 2.0T)...I'm much enjoying the NA V6 in the infiniti. Just has a much better feel and sound to it, more smooth. Infiniti will eventually fire back with a DI VQ37 and slap a turbo(they detuned 3.8 from GTR), or they might implement a G35h like the M35h. I'm not worried, they have some good engineers.

If you really want good MPG and power, you guys should look at diesel. The BMW 335d is a sleeper and way overlooked. Real world average of 40mpg on the highway, and even ******* the car the whole time reviewers couldn't get less than 29mpg.
So basically you believe the epa estimates are worthless?

And Camry v6 is faster. And handles better overall? OK then. BMW was never strictly about the straight line.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not going to pick your post apart point by point by I disagree with most of it.

- My BMW of 3.5 years was in the dealer a total of 5 times.
- My dealership picked up the car and dropped off a loaner.
- Services charges are as inflated as acura and lexus.
- You can measure which car is better by the metrics and the focus on the mission. You are not measuring a Hummer by it's skidpad or an Infiniti by it's towing ability. But you can measure all ellps mid-size sedans around a set of measured and subjective benchmarks and come up with a "best". This does not mean the car is best for you if you can understand what I am stating. 0-60 is a part of it, skidpad is another, slalom another, pollution index and gas mileage another, fun to drive is yet another.
- My last two American cars went through window regulators like crazy. I know people who have over 125K on their bimmers and all they do are normal maintenance.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sure Infiniti will come back with an answer for the 328i with the next G. Lets face it, car manufacturers are always one-upping (?) each other with newer models. Infiniti just has its work cut out for the next G, which is good for G-fans.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
While the 328i seemed appealing at first, it's not all it's cracked up to be. You will be lucky to ever hit near the claimed 36mpg highway, I think real world average is more around 26. C&D did the same drive on the new 2012 Camry SE, the Camry is actually faster with it's NA V6 and also uses regular gas. So if you want MPG's and decent fast, get the new Camry. (5-60 is way better than the 328i, also traps 101mph in the 1/4)

Coming from a turbo 4 banger (well many of them, but last was the VW GTI 2.0T)...I'm much enjoying the NA V6 in the infiniti. Just has a much better feel and sound to it, more smooth. Infiniti will eventually fire back with a DI VQ37 and slap a turbo(they detuned 3.8 from GTR), or they might implement a G35h like the M35h. I'm not worried, they have some good engineers.

If you really want good MPG and power, you guys should look at diesel. The BMW 335d is a sleeper and way overlooked. Real world average of 40mpg on the highway, and even ******* the car the whole time reviewers couldn't get less than 29mpg.
Well I dont think anyone would expect getting average 36MPG out of it as advertised.
The G has the EPA 19/28 and I never get anything close to it. When I did 90% hway I got around 24MPG but I average 16-18MPG 90% of the time.

Looking at the recent designs of the new QX and JX. I'm not sure what to expect from Infiniti for a new G.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
I got around 27.5 every time I drive from NJ to VA and back, around 300 miles one way and when traffic was light at night. The car has not yet gotten a chance to see summer gas which supposedly improves mpg. If you could get only low 20 on flat highway with steady speed, I think you need to have your car checked and make sure you are not running on the E80 junk.
'
Scroll through your center display and post a picture of your current MPG and average speed. Mine is 20mpg and 30.6 mph (both tell you lots).

The other night I flipped on the "MPG bar graph (Stupid) and coasting down hill with my foot barely touching the throttle it would hover around 30mpg.

I'd find it odd that anybody can get EPA mpg because that is done on a chassis dyno with no wind or resistance.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya
Well I dont think anyone would expect getting average 36MPG out of it as advertised.
The G has the EPA 19/28 and I never get anything close to it. When I did 90% hway I got around 24MPG but I average 16-18MPG 90% of the time.

Looking at the recent designs of the new QX and JX. I'm not sure what to expect from Infiniti for a new G.
The ratings are an average and below in tiny numbers they will have a range of both sides.

19 city will have 14-20 and 28 freeway will have a range above and below.

We will see lots of cars with high MPG ratings because the manufacturers have figured out how to "cheat" the test.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:26 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by g37guy01
So basically you believe the epa estimates are worthless?

And Camry v6 is faster. And handles better overall? OK then. BMW was never strictly about the straight line.
Not completely worthless, but I don't go around placing much faith in their highway estimates. It's a big number for BMW to advertise, that's all. I try to look at fuelly or fueleconomy.gov to get the real world numbers. If I was looking for sport and fuel economy, I don't think I would get the 328i..I'd get a 335d knowing real world MPGs will be great.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM
lippstuh

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
LOOOL this thread is going to go on forever, guarantee it.

What is the point of debating which car is better? its a matter of opinion and we all have different opinions. This thread should be moved, its no longer a G37 sedan specific thread.

Quick Reply: new 328 is out, close to pricing of 2012 G37