G37 Sedan

new 328 is out, close to pricing of 2012 G37

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:28 AM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
Not POS really, but somewhat uncomfortable, mostly because of the side support on the seat cushion. I have to remove my wallet from my rear pocket, or it's too uncomfortable...

I do appreciate the side support when driving fast on curvy mountain roads, but it isn't the most comfortable for daily commute driving.

In general, I find the G37S 6MT to be more suitable for sporty fun driving than just getting from point A to point B. The ride is too bumpy on the crappy roads around here, the seats aren't the most comfortable, and the clutch and gearbox aren't the easiest or smoothest to operate.
Like you said they are terrible. My 335 sport seats fit like a glove. These fit like a glove with 2x4s stuck in them.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
All I can say is... opinions vary. That's the nice way to say that.

There are many different reasons we buy cars, and even more reasons we buy particular cars. Some of it has to do with experience. Some of it has to do with research. Some of it has to do with what we read and what we hear from people who have their own experiences with certain makes and models.

Personally, I have had friends, neighbors and family members who owned Hyundais and they ALL had nothing but trouble. I won't buy a Hyundai for that reason.

My coworker had an Acura TSX. He SO wanted a BMW 3 series. He got one after I bought my current (2nd) G. He proceeded to brag about it and when confronted with facts about resale (he paid 8k more for a similarly equipped 335i) I.E. - if you pay 8k more at the front, it stands to reason you'll get 8k more at the back end, horsepower (G has more) handling (I spent 2k on coils and I kill him in the corners) etc... he will now admit I got the better deal. He even bragged about the 4 years of service and when I told him changing my oil myself with mobil 1 costs me $35 every 5k miles... and BMW won't change his oil any sooner than 10k... whatever.

Another coworker owns a BMW and said (of my car) I prefer to buy a car that's ready to drive (because I bought wheels and coils for mine) but when I pointed out that even after the additional purchase he still spent 5k more than I did for less car...

Again, whatever.

Buy the badge, if that's your thing. I research to the Nth degree before I spend MY money.

YMMV.

Like I said... we all choose cars for different reasons. It just seems to ME that BMW people choose BMW's because they are BMW's. Facts be damned.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Cheburashka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 00Max00
Well, hate to bust that. My '12 G37x get 27.5 mpg on the highway consistently, and I don't baby it, you will surely get even better with RWD only. According to MT - "the 328i is rated at a seriously impressive 24 mpg city and 36 mpg highway. Cruising on the highway at 75-80 mph for 300 miles, our tester returned 30.6 mpg. On a hard-driving, canyon-carving, 150-mile test loop, it managed 16.8 mpg".

I wouldn't consider 16.8/30.6 mpg impressive for a small 4-banger. I doubt someone can actually get close to 36 without having to drive on down slopes.
That gas mileage is 1.) Great 2.) Attainable BUT only when you drive 60-70 mph and on flat roads such as NJTP. Basically, if its a flat road and your tach needle isn't above 2.5k rpm. At least that has been my experience.

What's your tire pressure at?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
All I can say is... opinions vary. That's the nice way to say that.

There are many different reasons we buy cars, and even more reasons we buy particular cars. Some of it has to do with experience. Some of it has to do with research. Some of it has to do with what we read and what we hear from people who have their own experiences with certain makes and models.

Personally, I have had friends, neighbors and family members who owned Hyundais and they ALL had nothing but trouble. I won't buy a Hyundai for that reason.

My coworker had an Acura TSX. He SO wanted a BMW 3 series. He got one after I bought my current (2nd) G. He proceeded to brag about it and when confronted with facts about resale (he paid 8k more for a similarly equipped 335i) I.E. - if you pay 8k more at the front, it stands to reason you'll get 8k more at the back end, horsepower (G has more) handling (I spent 2k on coils and I kill him in the corners) etc... he will now admit I got the better deal. He even bragged about the 4 years of service and when I told him changing my oil myself with mobil 1 costs me $35 every 5k miles... and BMW won't change his oil any sooner than 10k... whatever.

Another coworker owns a BMW and said (of my car) I prefer to buy a car that's ready to drive (because I bought wheels and coils for mine) but when I pointed out that even after the additional purchase he still spent 5k more than I did for less car...

Again, whatever.

Buy the badge, if that's your thing. I research to the Nth degree before I spend MY money.

YMMV.

Like I said... we all choose cars for different reasons. It just seems to ME that BMW people choose BMW's because they are BMW's. Facts be damned.
Less? It depends what you mean? The 3 series rides and handles better. So in that department it's not less. 4 yr b2b with maintenance, so that's not less either. The 335 can be chipped for little money, and now too the 328. So that's not less either. Performance wise the 3 series is better than the g. Every comparo backs that up.

Now you can talk about other aspects of the car you belive might be less, looks, interior quality, dashboard. the people who buy the badge, ie badge chasers, don't have to research why they want to buy the vehicle. They already know. Infiniti should build a following like that.

I think people who use condescending terms such as badge chasers are jealous of people who can afford to buy BMWs.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by Cheburashka
That gas mileage is 1.) Great 2.) Attainable BUT only when you drive 60-70 mph and on flat roads such as NJTP. Basically, if its a flat road and your tach needle isn't above 2.5k rpm. At least that has been my experience.

What's your tire pressure at?
I don't think the EPA believes canyon carving is highway driving. Canyon carving will show off the worst of the highway mileage of any car.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Micron

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I think people who use condescending terms such as badge chasers are jealous of people who can afford to buy BMWs.
Actually, it has more to do with statements like this than the cars themselves!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, it is getting apparent at this point that the confrontation on G37 vs 3 is mostly between the "owner group" and the "lease group". Lease group does not care about reliability, and they don NOT work on their cars, they don't mind let dealers fix their problems as long as they can get rid of it before warranty expires. There are no pride of ownership, just like most us do with any disposable items. However, car ownership is not that simple, and we car people enjoy the ownership of our cars. We take care of our baby, we put mods on our baby whenever we feel the urge of doing it, customize our ride to our likes etc, which is something the "lease group" has no idea and unable to enjoy.

Compare apple to orange, you will always get endless disputes on something not even remotely making senses.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by Micron
Actually, it has more to do with statements like this than the cars themselves!
It's the implication of the statement, much like the word 'fanboi'.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 AM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Sadly, the fanboi doesn't know when to quit...

But then, that's what fanbois are...
Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 AM
g37guy01

Well, it is getting apparent at this point that the confrontation on G37 vs 3 is mostly between the "owner group" and the "lease group". Lease group does not care about reliability, and they don NOT work on their cars, they don't mind let dealers fix their problems as long as they can get rid of it before warranty expires. There are no pride of ownership, just like most us do with any disposable items. However, car ownership is not that simple, and we car people enjoy the ownership of our cars. We take care of our baby, we put mods on our baby whenever we feel the urge of doing it, customize our ride to our likes etc, which is something the "lease group" has no idea and unable to enjoy.

Compare apple to orange, you will always get endless disputes on something not even remotely making senses.
This thread is about the performance attributes of the new BMW vs G.

It's not about who is a faboi, badge chaser, how do they finance, how wealthy are they, do they lease or own, how much research do they do prior to acquiring a vehicle, what websites or magazines do buyers look at, what people will now think of you because you bought 'x' car, and the list of endless cr@p that goes into these conversations goes on and on and on.

If you think "lease group" doesn't mod their cars, you are dead wrong. Maybe in the aggregate they don't, but in the aggregate neither do the "own group". Only a few select individuals mod their cars to the point of many thousands of dollars.

All of this other stuff is nonsense relative to 0 to 60. The fact is the jury is out on the new 328 and the sales number of the new 3 series will provide a clue on what the public thinks about it. At the end of the day, the mags will have their opinion, but ultimately it's sales that determine the success.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM
g37guy01

Sadly, the fanboi doesn't know when to quit...

But then, that's what fanbois are...
I agree, what's not really apparent is that all who chime in are fanbois. Those who call somebody a fanboi is the pot calling the kettle....
Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Well, I missed that one. I guess I paid 42K+ for my G, just because I don't have that 5% more money for a loaded 335ix offered.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:05 PM
g37guy01

Well, I missed that one. I guess I paid 42K+ for my G, just because I don't have that 5% more money for a loaded 335ix offered.
Weren't you the one who said a 335 was 57K?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a badge chaser in my own family, so I know how frustrating it is. It's my own older sister. But she has finally wised up due to the latest series of problems on her beloved MB ML.

She dropped 60 large on her ML without batting an eye. This is her third Mercedes, just because of the badge.

She's now considering the Japanese alternatives (Lexus, Infiniti) because of reliability issues of her previous MB cars.

OK, OK...MB is not BMW. I'm just digressing...Let's continue hearing what the BMW fanboys have to say.

Btw, 3 of my friends used to own BMWs (all late model AWD 3-series). All three traded theirs in for other branded cars because of problems. For one of them, it was the last straw when he was stranded by the side of the highway because the water pump/radiator went exactly two weeks after his warranty expired.

Sorry for digressing again...