G37 Sedan

new 328 is out, close to pricing of 2012 G37

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 PM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
I find it funny that we think our mediocre sounding V6 is somehow exotic or amazing sounding, lol.

Why don't you have a V8 or V10, or V12? They sound way better.

The 328 serves a purpose, and it's not revving in a parking lot. The engine pulls hard and sounds good. If you judge everything from youtube are you really a car enthusiast?
When did I ever say that Infiniti's V6 sound exotic or amazing? It does sound way better than most V6, that I can tell. And there are many people out there who would agree with me.

I don't want any stinking V8, V10, or V12, either. If money was no object, this is what I want in my garage:

2009 RX8 4 Rotor Willow Springs July 27th - YouTube

I don't judge anything based on videoclips on YouTube. I've either seen, heard, driven, or owned cars that I talk about. I don't talk out of my @ss, thank you very much.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 PM
bassy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Yes, I am a fan of BMWs. You ask if I own an Infiniti, did you check my garage?

Everybody has their own distorted twist on things...and yes I will trade it in for a BMW if Infiniti does not produce a car I like when I'm ready.

No need to be pejorative when someone disagrees with you...but then again this is the Internet.

There's a difference between a fan and a fanboi. I'm a fan of BMW, but not the 328i. However, I don't talk like a fanboi, like you. I'm just calling a spade a spade. If you think it's "pejorative," I'd suggest you get some thicker skin. But then again, this is the Internet, right?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:02 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I owned 3 Subarus in the 80s and early 90s... The first 2 were fine, the 3rd gave me trouble, and then I switched to Nissan.

Ultimately, for me it's a combination of personal experience with the brand, what I hear from friends and colleagues, what I read in reliability reports like TrueDelta, my experience at the dealership (both sales and service), and the deal that I can get.

Nissan/Infiniti have been on top overall for me over the last 16 years... It started for me with the 4th generation Maxima which I just loved - owned 3 of them without any problems to speak of, and really enjoyed driving them.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bassy
There's a difference between a fan and a fanboi. I'm a fan of BMW, but not the 328i. However, I don't talk like a fanboi, like you. I'm just calling a spade a spade. If you think it's "pejorative," I'd suggest you get some thicker skin. But then again, this is the Internet, right?
People who throw the word "fanboi" out usually are usually pejorative and have lost the discussion point. Your types resort to condescending talk when you can't support a point. If it makes you feel better to think I'm a "fanboi" then you go girl.

Hey I'm just being honest, like you.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
The thing I hate the most about car trouble isn't the expense or even the hassle. It's the fact that it's hard to get consistently good service. The problem may not be fixed right, or the wrong thing is "fixed", or the right thing is fixed but something else is damaged in the process, or some cosmetic damage is inflicted, etc. Often when they start messing with something non-trivial (or even trivial...), things end up not being quite right again mostly due to the incompetence and negligence of whoever happens to be working on your car. I'd rather have a car that's likely not to need the attention of mechanics more than the absolute minimum.
Couldn't agree more on this. No one else cares about your car no matter how expensive and how nice it is, it's just not their own car. More often than not, the dealer would mess up something as "minor" as putting a few scratches somewhere. The only "owner" who do not mind are those who do not "own" the car, talk about lease..or not "real" car guys. Real car people own cars.

At the end of the day, BMW sells a lot of cars. It seems not everybody worries about price and reliability ratings.
Exactly right!! Remember the "Badge Group"? But let me tell you, badge chasers have no idea what car they were driving blind folded, more often than not, they even prefer the "lesser" car. I personally know quite a few people who bought more car than they could afford just because it worn a "prestigious" badge, and some others own bare bone such "luxury" cars with fake leather. Pathetic...

But as long as when something happens I'm taken care of at the dealer...who cares? They all break.
You sir, I bet you don't own your car. Real car people loves their car like loving their own kids. I want to minimized the chances that anyone has hands on my baby. Dealers could mess up things, believe me if you cared your baby enough. Any real car guy would tell you exactly the something.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:24 PM
bassy
Registered Member

People who throw the word "fanboi" out usually are usually pejorative and have lost the discussion point. Your types resort to condescending talk when you can't support a point. If it makes you feel better to think I'm a "fanboi" then you go girl.

Hey I'm just being honest, like you.

Can't handle the truth, right? I know, if someone called me a "fanboi," it'd probably get under my skin, too...

That's why I try not to be one.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by bassy
Can't handle the truth, right? I know, if someone called me a "fanboi," it'd probably get under my skin, too...

That's why I try not to be one.
Umm who can't handle the truth?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by 00Max00
Couldn't agree more on this. No one else cares about your car no matter how expensive and how nice it is, it's just not their own car. More often than not, the dealer would mess up something as "minor" as putting a few scratches somewhere. The only "owner" who do not mind are those who do not "own" the car, talk about lease..or not "real" car guys. Real car people own cars.

Exactly right!! Remember the "Badge Group"? But let me tell you, badge chasers have no idea what car they were driving blind folded, more often than not, they even prefer the "lesser" car. I personally know quite a few people who bought more car than they could afford just because it worn a "prestigious" badge, and some others own bare bone such "luxury" cars with fake leather. Pathetic...

You sir, I bet you don't own your car. Real car people loves their car like loving their own kids. I want to minimized the chances that anyone has hands on my baby. Dealers could mess up things, believe me if you cared your baby enough. Any real car guy would tell you exactly the something.
What you cavalierly call a "badge chaser" has different priorities than you. These people probably know cars much better than you can and have the flexibility of picking the best and fastest rides. OK I get you probably feel better calling people "badge chasers", since I owned a BMW also, I guess I'm a badger chaser. My BMW of a few years ago though had a much better ride than my Infiniti, although I don't doublt Infiniti reels in the "value concious", myself included this time around.

You are right I don't own the Infiniti... it's a tax deduction for me. But I do own 3 of my other vehicles. And as a tax deduction, I could get another one in a second..I have no emotional attachment to it, other than it gets me from point a to point b in a reasonable manner.

Last edited by g37guy01; 03-03-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 PM
visualguy

BMW sport seats are so much better than the POS sport seats in the G!
Not POS really, but somewhat uncomfortable, mostly because of the side support on the seat cushion. I have to remove my wallet from my rear pocket, or it's too uncomfortable...

I do appreciate the side support when driving fast on curvy mountain roads, but it isn't the most comfortable for daily commute driving.

In general, I find the G37S 6MT to be more suitable for sporty fun driving than just getting from point A to point B. The ride is too bumpy on the crappy roads around here, the seats aren't the most comfortable, and the clutch and gearbox aren't the easiest or smoothest to operate.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 PM
00Max00

What you cavalierly call a "badge chaser" has different priorities than you. These people probably know cars much better than you can and have the flexibility of picking the best and fastest rides. OK I get you probably feel better calling people "badge chasers", since I owned a BMW also, I guess I'm a badger chaser. My BMW of a few years ago though had a much better ride than my Infiniti, although I don't doublt Infiniti reels in the "value concious", myself included this time around.

You are right I don't own the Infiniti... it's a tax deduction for me. But I do own 3 of my other vehicles. And as a tax deduction, I could get another one in a second..I have no emotional attachment to it, other than it gets me from point a to point b in a reasonable manner.
I have never generalized that all BMW owners were "badge chasers". My comments were in response to your perception as of why "it seems not everybody worries about price and reliability ratings" and bought a lot of BMWs. It is apparent there are far more BMW badge chasers than Infiniti could ever dreamed of, not simply because of BMWs overall are superior products than Infinitis. In fact CR finds the quite opposite is true. I guess you must believe that your perception were more accurate than research results from non-bias organizations. And I totally understand that this may give people the false perception of your fanboyism.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:20 PM
g37guy01

I have never generalized that all BMW owners were "badge chasers". My comments were in response to your perception as of why "it seems not everybody worries about price and reliability ratings" and bought a lot of BMWs. It is apparent there are far more BMW badge chasers than Infiniti could ever dreamed of, not simply because of BMWs overall are superior products than Infinitis. In fact CR finds the quite opposite is true. I guess you must believe that your perception were more accurate than research results from non-bias organizations. And I totally understand that this may give people the false perception of your fanboyism.
It's not my perception...I just create a grid of things I value in a car and assign a number or priority to the item in a grid. Reliability ratings are assigned a zero, because I don't really care about them.

If I were a nervous type I would have never gotten the G after reading the great "tranny" thread on this forum.

Based on the number of cars BMW sells, I'm guessing most the "badge chasers" er consumsers don't read CR.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 PM
00Max00

If I were a nervous type I would have never gotten the G after reading the great "tranny" thread on this forum.
Let's not to start another debate whether the G's tranny indeed has problem or not. Given CR has still awarded G the best sports car the 6th straight year anyway, that's enough said about CR's verdict on BMW's reliability. Not saying BMWs are bad, just not as good.

Based on the number of cars BMW sells, I'm guessing most the "badge chasers" er consumsers don't read CR.
You are right again! If the badge chasers cares to study a research paper before making decisions as of whether it worth to bet their money on a "prestigious" but less quality badge, they would not be qualified a "badge chaser" to begin with.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 PM
visualguy

But as long as when something happens I'm taken care of at the dealer...who cares? They all break.
They don't all break as often...

By the way, I always check my cars carefully when getting them back from dealers after service, and I often find problems caused by the dealer. Just a partial list from recent times: leaving rags between the radiator and grill, breaking the mount of an an electrical connector and leaving it dangling, damaging hoses when replacing something else, causing scratches with tools, spilling a lot of oil when replacing the oil filter and not cleaning it up. I also suspect they let dirt fall in when replacing an air filter which caused the MAF sensor to malfunction on one of my cars after they replaced the air filter. I started replacing them myself after that.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 PM
00Max00

Originally Posted by visualguy
They don't all break as often...

By the way, I always check my cars carefully when getting them back from dealers after service, and I often find problems caused by the dealer. Just a partial list from recent times: leaving rags between the radiator and grill, breaking the mount of an an electrical connector and leaving it dangling, damaging hoses when replacing something else, causing scratches with tools, spilling a lot of oil when replacing the oil filter and not cleaning it up. I also suspect they let dirt fall in when replacing an air filter which caused the MAF sensor to malfunction on one of my cars after they replaced the air filter. I started replacing them myself after that.
I feel your pain buddy. I change my own oil, I fix small issues myself on every car I own even still under warranty unless expensive parts break, just for the exact reasons.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
g37guy01

Let's not to start another debate whether the G's tranny indeed has problem or not. Given CR has still awarded G the best sports car the 6th straight year anyway, that's enough said about CR's verdict on BMW's reliability. Not saying BMWs are bad, just not as good.

You are right again! If the badge chasers cares to study a research paper before making decisions as of whether it worth to bet their money on a "prestigious" but less quality badge, they would not be qualified a "badge chaser" to begin with.
Badge chasers place more of an emphasis on the "mission" than the cupholders. While I don't sell Infiniti short, BMW has earned the badge chasers dollars. The fac that cr has awarded the g best sedan means squat to the badge chaser. Because buying a car blind based on a magazine article is as bad as chasing the badge.

I'm giving in, we can call people who buy all of these upscale cars badge chasers. Based on your definition a badge chaser is someone who buys a car based on perceived prestige blindly. The exact reason I bought my g. The only difference is I bought the g without knowledge of the tranny thread. Had I as that I would have leased a 335.

Quick Reply: new 328 is out, close to pricing of 2012 G37