G37 Sedan

new 328 is out, close to pricing of 2012 G37

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
Oh noooo.. I guess you have not owned your G37 long enough to appreciate its quality yet. CR's best sports sedan for 6th straight year award is still not enough to place it way on top of the "Broke My Wallet"s?
I guess cr missed the tranny thread.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
My G has way more problems than my 3 did.
What problems are you having with it?

I've owned 3 Nissan Maximas and 2 Infiniti G without any significant problems... Some of them I had for more than a decade.

Anyway, this is all anecdotal - the information on TrueDelta and other reliability surveys is more useful, and it is not kind to BMW...
Old 03-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassy
Yeah, maybe it sounds good to you. And no, I wouldn't waste my time and gas trying to rev a 4 banger in a parking lot. I don't like weed whackers, remember? Actually, I would never touch another 4 banger, period.
I find it funny that we think our mediocre sounding V6 is somehow exotic or amazing sounding, lol.

Why don't you have a V8 or V10, or V12? They sound way better.

The 328 serves a purpose, and it's not revving in a parking lot. The engine pulls hard and sounds good. If you judge everything from youtube are you really a car enthusiast?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:18 AM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
What problems are you having with it?.
Let's see:
G:
Tach lighting went out, replaced entire instrument cluster

Dash over instrument cluster peeling

Steering wheel trim scratched up

Clock lighting recently burnt out

Wind noise from back door

Trans solenoid went bad, no manual mode

Soft paint

The 3:
Door lock went out

Don't get me wrong, I love both cars, but my G is far from trouble free
Old 03-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
I find it funny that we think our mediocre sounding V6 is somehow exotic or amazing sounding, lol.
Exotic... amazing...? No. That's true. But it can be appreciated.

The 328 serves a purpose, and it's not revving in a parking lot. The engine pulls hard and sounds good. If you judge everything from youtube are you really a car enthusiast?

Too much wit for morning coffee.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by visualguy
What problems are you having with it?

I've owned 3 Nissan Maximas and 2 Infiniti G without any significant problems... Some of them I had for more than a decade.

Anyway, this is all anecdotal - the information on TrueDelta and other reliability surveys is more useful, and it is not kind to BMW...
I owned 2 Maximas without significant problems*, but those two cars were at the dealership to fix the things every two months. clunks, rattles, ses lights, window regulators etc.

On the other hand my BMW, one warranty repair...tighten the antenna ground. I never buy a car based on reliability surveys from any source, because my experience may turn out to be vastly different than the predicted statistics.

(*Significant problems means the car didn't leave you stranded or the car didn't have to be left at the dealership to fix issues, but lack of significant problems does not translate into a stellar ownership experience.)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
Let's see:
G:
Tach lighting went out, replaced entire instrument cluster

Dash over instrument cluster peeling

Steering wheel trim scratched up

Clock lighting recently burnt out

Wind noise from back door

Trans solenoid went bad, no manual mode

Soft paint

The 3:
Door lock went out

Don't get me wrong, I love both cars, but my G is far from trouble free
But on the flip side, many of us have none of those problems...except the paint. That seems to be a problem with most all automobiles over the last 15-20 years.

So does that mean our cars are flawless or problems?

I also had a 350Z that never once had to go in for repairs...I had it for six years.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:22 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I guess cr missed the tranny thread.
I don't know if CR would consider the transmission issues. It's not that it's bad/broken, it behaves as it was 'designed' or 'normal' according to Infiniti.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I owned 2 Maximas without significant problems*, but those two cars were at the dealership to fix the things every two months. clunks, rattles, ses lights, window regulators etc.

On the other hand my BMW, one warranty repair...tighten the antenna ground. I never buy a car based on reliability surveys from any source, because my experience may turn out to be vastly different than the predicted statistics.

(*Significant problems means the car didn't leave you stranded or the car didn't have to be left at the dealership to fix issues, but lack of significant problems does not translate into a stellar ownership experience.)
+1. People say Audi have poor reliability also, but on my second one now and never had a major issue with either one yet. At the same time, I haven't had any major issues with the Infiniti either, so I think it's how you maintain your car. Little things like window regulators may break, but I don't consider that to be a major issue either, since it doesn't leave you stranded or inoperable. That can happen to any car.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by sniper27
+1. People say Audi have poor reliability also, but on my second one now and never had a major issue with either one yet. At the same time, I haven't had any major issues with the Infiniti either, so I think it's how you maintain your car. Little things like window regulators may break, but I don't consider that to be a major issue either, since it doesn't leave you stranded or inoperable. That can happen to any car.
+1 also. Friend just bought(not leased) an Audi with the B&O stereo. He's very aware of the "perception" and "issues". He thinks like me...that is what a warranty is for, should it be needed.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've owned a lot of cars and the one that was the best all around driving car was the BMW 540i. Unfortunately it was always in the shop, for one repair or another. I drove it back and forth to work but didn't trust it for taking trips.
Once you have owned a BMW that wears you down, due to constantly bringing it in for one thing or another, you put reliability on the top of the list when shopping for your next car..
I traded the BMW 540i for a Lexsus GS 430. It was quicker 0 to 60 and 60 to 0, and never had any problems, but it was a bit boring to drive.
I've owned my 2010 G37 for 2 years and put 18,000 trouble free miles on it and have no complaints with the 7 speed auto transmission.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Beer Magazine

Let's look at this in a statistical sense...

Every brand, every car make will have problems. Some will have none, some will have total failure.

If you look at the stats they are written in problems per 1,000...meaning there are problems all over the place, and the more they sell the more people will have, and report.

The "most reliable" cars still have people with problems.

My experience with my 335 was mixed. It had one major problem...fuel pump exploded and I had a stupid exhaust valve rattle. But longer term I wouldn't own the car. Seemed like problems were coming, and if they did would be expensive.

My last G37 that i had for a year didn't have many issues. Just a stupid seatbelt re tractor that would suck it back up.

My newest G nothing really happening to date.

But as long as when something happens I'm taken care of at the dealer...who cares? They all break.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:28 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I never buy a car based on reliability surveys from any source, because my experience may turn out to be vastly different than the predicted statistics.
That's like saying that you're willing to smoke because your experience with smoking may turn out to be vastly different than that of smokers who get cancer... Sure, but you would be taking a significantly higher health risk by smoking. It's all about probabilities - you want to minimize the probability of getting into trouble.

The thing I hate the most about car trouble isn't the expense or even the hassle. It's the fact that it's hard to get consistently good service. The problem may not be fixed right, or the wrong thing is "fixed", or the right thing is fixed but something else is damaged in the process, or some cosmetic damage is inflicted, etc. Often when they start messing with something non-trivial (or even trivial...), things end up not being quite right again mostly due to the incompetence and negligence of whoever happens to be working on your car. I'd rather have a car that's likely not to need the attention of mechanics more than the absolute minimum.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

But as long as when something happens I'm taken care of at the dealer...who cares? They all break.
When I had my BMW 540i, everything that went wrong was fixed under the warranty. Going back to a dealer to get something fixed, under warranty is no big thing, the first so many times.
It is when you are constantly going back and forth to the dealer that it gets very old.
Bmw's have a reputation for not being very reliable. I was aware of that when I bought the 540i, but at the time thought like you, if it's taken care of by the dealer who cares.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Glicious03

What a fun thread we have here.

So I checked out the 328i today. I didn't really drive it but lightly due to the roads, but was impressed by the feel. I liked the interior, especially the technology features and those seats ... Man those seats felt good. The car was more spacious than I expected. Also nice to see decent rims on a $40k+ car. Infiniti could learn from that. If I could get one within $3k of a loaded G, I might do it, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not sure how long I want to wait. Just wish we had some idea what was planned for the next G. They had a 335i on the floor, too. !! $57,000!!! That's just ridiculous. I'd rather buy a slightly used 5 series.

There is ONE key feature it's missing ... Malbec Black!

Quick Reply: new 328 is out, close to pricing of 2012 G37