G37 Sedan

new 328 is out, close to pricing of 2012 G37

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 AM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rochester
They may be true, but no 6MT, no care.

Any inside knowledge about the transmission? Rev-matched down-shifting would be fun. No reason only the 370Z should get all the toys.

The rev matching on the manual 370 sucks. I guess it's better than nothing if you don't know how to heel-toe, but i'd specifically get a car w/o it....
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 AM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Glicious03 - The center dash of the 2012 3-series looks kind of cheap - particularly the vents and the row of numbered buttons below them. Also, the doors on the 3-series don't look as nice and robust as those on the G when you open them and examine them. Not big issues - just a couple of things that disappointed me when checking out the new 335i. It certainly didn't look like what I expected from a car with an MSRP of $58K!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 AM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I've driven and owned cars with turbo I4, NA I4, rotary, and V6 engines. I don't miss driving anything I4 at all. Sure, the turbo ones were a hoot to drive, but the sound, feel, etc...I didn't like any of that.

You can't really cheat physics. An I4 is still a 4 banger, turbo or not. It's not like a V6 or a V8. Kinda like motorcycle engines. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke vs I4 vs V twin vs L twine, etc. Heck, the only thing I miss is the rotary engine. Luckily, I still get to drive an RX8 every once in a while.

So, even if BMW can tune their turbo I4 to make 1,000 hp and return 500 mpg, I still won't go anywhere near it.

Good luck trying to get that 36mpg advertised by BMW, btw.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by jddssc121
The rev matching on the manual 370 sucks. I guess it's better than nothing if you don't know how to heel-toe, but i'd specifically get a car w/o it....
Well aren't you awesome, with your heel-2-toe expertise! Good for you.

Rev matching is just a toy, and a unique one at that. Hardly anything to get your self-righteous panties all knotted up about.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
Glicious03 - The center dash of the 2012 3-series looks kind of cheap - particularly the vents and the row of numbered buttons below them. Also, the doors on the 3-series don't look as nice and robust as those on the G when you open them and examine them. Not big issues - just a couple of things that disappointed me when checking out the new 335i. It certainly didn't look like what I expected from a car with an MSRP of $58K!
I have always like BMW interiors and really have the same comments about the G. $45K for a G and brushed aluminum? Really?

For $45K I expect Bently luxury with Bugatti performance and a decent tranny.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bassy
I've driven and owned cars with turbo I4, NA I4, rotary, and V6 engines. I don't miss driving anything I4 at all. Sure, the turbo ones were a hoot to drive, but the sound, feel, etc...I didn't like any of that.

You can't really cheat physics. An I4 is still a 4 banger, turbo or not. It's not like a V6 or a V8. Kinda like motorcycle engines. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke vs I4 vs V twin vs L twine, etc. Heck, the only thing I miss is the rotary engine. Luckily, I still get to drive an RX8 every once in a while.

So, even if BMW can tune their turbo I4 to make 1,000 hp and return 500 mpg, I still won't go anywhere near it.

Well said. The industry trend of turbo 4 is mostly for cost saving and better on paper MPG. Even T4 is able to produce V6 class power, there's no substitute for the loss of 2 cylinders, no matter what the makers are trying to say, let alone turbo lag is still something need to be covered, and the turbo itself is certainly a weak point affecting reliability, nor does highly stressed engine helps that.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
Even T4 is able to produce V6 class power, there's no substitute for the loss of 2 cylinders, no matter what the makers are trying to say
My gut tells me to agree with that assessment, but it was only a few decades ago when we were saying that same thing as V8 engines became less and less common.

Time and technology will change things yet again.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bassy

I have a feeling that Infiniti will put a turbo 4 in the G to compete with the 3.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well said. The industry trend of turbo 4 is mostly for cost saving and better on paper MPG. Even T4 is able to produce V6 class power, there's no substitute for the loss of 2 cylinders, no matter what the makers are trying to say, let alone turbo lag is still something need to be covered, and the turbo itself is certainly a weak point affecting reliability, nor does highly stressed engine helps that.
Technology and time are changing. The trend of the future is turbo charged small engines. It's all about efficiency. I'm sure Infiniti's future is not to be a muscle car. Infiniti wants to compete with BMW, not Ford Mustangs.

The Twin power turbo has been in the 335 for years and I haven't heard much problem for it. The system kept the turbo lag to minimum.

Last I heard even the F1's going small turbo engines?

I've read so many reviews on the new 328 and I haven't seen a bad review for it yet. All the comments have been great, blast to drive, exceptional handling, doesn't feel like a 4 banger, brought the benchmark higher. The only bad comment about the new engine is just the sound of it.

Infiniti is playing the catch-up role now. And looking at the recent designs for their new JX and QX. I'm not sure what to hope for with the G redesign.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya
The Twin power turbo has been in the 335 for years and I haven't heard much problem for it. The system kept the turbo lag to minimum.

Last I heard even the F1's going small turbo engines?

I've read so many reviews on the new 328 and I haven't seen a bad review for it yet. All the comments have been great, blast to drive, exceptional handling, doesn't feel like a 4 banger, brought the benchmark higher. The only bad comment about the new engine is just the sound of it.
1. You are not looking at all, my friend. You could find plenty if you bother to ask your Google friend. Have you ever heard of high pressure fuel pump failure, fuel injectors and spark plugs, causing a rash of drive-ability issues including "no-start", "hard-start", "extended cranking time", "start then stall", "stall while engine is running"? Oh, and the turbo overheating problem caused later somewhat down tuned 335 that do not have claimed power? Many reviewers like MT reported turbo overheating when they did the 335i vs G37 comparo. And most 335 are still under factory warranty, see what happens when warranty expires....

2. It is too early to say anything about the new 3, I have not yet seen one on the road, let alone any reliable real word data.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 AM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The turbos are so small and efficient, there's very little to no lag at all. Reliability was with the DI fuel pump so hopefully they've corrected that problem.

During the 2 years I owned the 3, I can only recall a handful (at most) of turbo failures, and those were from the guys running extremely high boost
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rochester
well aren't you awesome, with your heel-2-toe expertise! Good for you.

Rev matching is just a toy, and a unique one at that. Hardly anything to get your self-righteous panties all knotted up about.
self-righteous? um, ok.......
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya
The Twin power turbo has been in the 335 for years and I haven't heard much problem for it.
^ umm, there has been a litany of problems with the 335 3L turbo (N54?): overheating, fuel pump failures, hard starting, limp-mode, driveability issues...the list goes on. the N55 may have corrected this, but i don't know about that. the bottom line is that there were numerous well-known problems with BMW's twin-turbo I6.

i work with 6 guys who drive 335's or 135's. every one of them is on a first-name basis with the local BMW dealer - good thing it's only 1 block from my office. most of the issues they have experienced are due to the turbo I6 (they've all had numerous problems with that motor), then recall/TSB updates and fit-and-finish problems. i know 6 guys is a small sample group, but 6 for 6 is not good. on any given day there are at least 1 or 2 BMW service loaner cars in my parking lot. no joke.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:27 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ umm, there has been a litany of problems with the 335 3L turbo (N54?): overheating, fuel pump failures, hard starting, limp-mode, driveability issues...the list goes on. the N55 may have corrected this, but i don't know about that. the bottom line is that there were numerous well-known problems with BMW's twin-turbo I6.

i work with 6 guys who drive 335's or 135's. every one of them is on a first-name basis with the local BMW dealer - good thing it's only 1 block from my office. most of the issues they have experienced are due to the turbo I6 (they've all had numerous problems with that motor), then recall/TSB updates and fit-and-finish problems. i know 6 guys is a small sample group, but 6 for 6 is not good. on any given day there are at least 1 or 2 BMW service loaner cars in my parking lot. no joke.
Like Infiniti should be absolved for the tranny issues and limp mode issues on the G. If you look hard enough you will issues affecting all cars.

I was on a first name basis with my BMW service rep also. That guy had a darn good memory to remember seeing my face 5 times in 3.5 years.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Like Infiniti should be absolved for the tranny issues and limp mode issues on the G. If you look hard enough you will issues affecting all cars.

I was on a first name basis with my BMW service rep also. That guy had a darn good memory to remember seeing my face 5 times in 3.5 years.
^ you are missing the point. my quote was referencing a post which insinuated that the 335 N54 engine was not prone to problems. my reply was specific to that issue in an effort to clarify the statement, and identified that there were in fact numerous with the turbo I6. sure, every car has issues if you dig deep enough. that is common knowledge. infiniti tranny issues are a separate issue.

and you know what i mean by the dealer being familiar with my collegues. most service reps don't have rain-man like memories, unlike your buddy there. my infiniti dealer certainly doesn't know me by name, which suits me just fine.

i'm sure the new 328 is great. and it's 2L turbo may be a stout motor. time will tell.

Quick Reply: new 328 is out, close to pricing of 2012 G37