G37 Sedan

Test drove a G25 today, a little thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I think there's pros and cons to both - onboard navi and PND.

When i'm commuting, doing errands, or driving around town, I have no need for the advanced features of my PND (mainly custom routes). I'm quite familiar with all the main roads, but not so with the minor/side streets. This is where the car's built in nav comes in handy. I can easily zoom in/out to find alternate routes if need be. Sure the same thing can be done on your cell phone, but it's a much smaller screen, and more difficult to read when you should be keeping your eyes on the road. So for such trips as this, there's little reason to drag out the garmin and deal with another cord.

Now, when I do out of town trips, unless I need to get there in a hurry, I will always take the more scenic, less traveled route which includes back roads, farm roads, curvy/twisty/windy roads and everything in between. (Do a street view of this segment - Link, especially the far eastern section with the crazy zigzags). The roads tend to be so wacked that no device would normally route me that way. The plan out and design occurs on the computer, then gets uploaded by way of sd card to the garmin device. If the onboard navi had this functionality, I'd have no need for the garmin then. Another benefit of the garmin is it's ability to generate a track log by dropping a breadcrumb trail every second (limited only by the internal memory). After a trip, I can go back and easily revise sections that need revision, or get some idea of how fast I was going through certain corners.

I think it really boils down to what your needs are. The only real advantage of googlemaps (or similar) navigation is it's much better indication of real time traffic. I've found it to be more accurate than XM and cover more surface streets. Too bad that data can't be transmitted by BT or wireless to the car's receiver.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:50 PM
jdg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to hear it's not a total dog.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
comments added in red
I guess your definition of "luxury" is navigation...which IS available on the G...in the G37.

Navi is found on cheap cars too, but again it's one of the least valuable options to me since the invention of phone enabled GPS, or the price on aftermarket being so cheap and technically "better".

I buy cars for the way the drive and feel, the options are nothing but gravy.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:27 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
I guess your definition of "luxury" is navigation...which IS available on the G...in the G37.

Navi is found on cheap cars too, but again it's one of the least valuable options to me since the invention of phone enabled GPS, or the price on aftermarket being so cheap and technically "better".

I can program the nav at 70 mph without taking my eyes off the road or my hands from the wheel. Can't do that on a cell phone.

While I used to think nav was superflous I find I like having the big display for maps and the features that come with the nav are great. Mainly the bluetooth integration with my cell phone.

To each their own though.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine

You are making my point for me. If Nav is an option in cheap cars too then how the he!! can Infiniti call itself a luxury segment brand if it won't OFFER the feature throughout its entire vehicle lineup. The key word in my posts is Offer.

I haven't checked them but I will bet if I go check the Lexus, BMW, Audi, Cadillac sites, they probably offer nav in every vehicle if you are willing to pay for it.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You are making my point for me. If Nav is an option in cheap cars too then how the he!! can Infiniti call itself a luxury segment brand if it won't OFFER the feature throughout its entire vehicle lineup. The key word in my posts is Offer.

I haven't checked them but I will bet if I go check the Lexus, BMW, Audi, Cadillac sites, they probably offer nav in every vehicle if you are willing to pay for it.
If the people who opts to go for G25 doesn't mind the extra expense for a Navi, they would as well just buy a G37. The key here is low cost alternative, dude. Why offer something no one would buy?

Cheap car with a Navi is a bland statement manufacturers trying to make - I am upscale, even knew no one would buy it, with hope to make themselves look better than competitors. Lipstick on a pig, isn't it?
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
It's like getting a V6 Mustang... WHY!?

Or a corvette, but not the Z06. If you're going to get a sports car... make sure it has the "sport", no?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:07 AM
VossenG37S

I had the G25 for two days and even with it being brand new and with only 3000 miles vs. my car with 70K miles, there is absolutely no comparison.

I COULD NOT WAIT TO TAKE THAT THING BACK AND GET BACK IN MY G!!!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 AM
g37guy01

It's getting very difficult in the under $55K segment for the manufacturers to distinguish their line-ups based on features. Granted the service and dealership I receive when I bring the G in for service is different than a Nissan. A Genesis owner, the owner of an upscale sedan, does not get premium treatment at the dealership.

Even the Camry has a a navi with a dataplan. HIDs are more common on the non-premium model. Heated steering wheels, lights in mirrors. LED treatments in the headlights, of which most a absolutely horrendous in terms of gaudiness and no class, of which the Korean cars lead the pack in this.

While I didn't realize Infiniti didn't offer the same level of equipment on the G25 as the G37, that's a mistake for a manufacturer making luxury vehicles to have their flagship non-luxury sedan (Maxima) with more offerable options.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:25 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
While I didn't realize Infiniti didn't offer the same level of equipment on the G25 as the G37, that's a mistake for a manufacturer making luxury vehicles to have their flagship non-luxury sedan (Maxima) with more offerable options.
Just buy the G37 then. There are plenty of people out there who will not hesitate to buy a Civic with BMW badge if BMW ever cared to sell one. An ugly 200 lb woman who needs heavy makeup to be presentable does not mean a naturally beautiful woman needs to do the same. Stereotype is what ruins a good car manufacturer, I am glad Infiniti chose to differ. I have a G37x BTW.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:43 AM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
It's like getting a V6 Mustang... WHY!?

Or a corvette, but not the Z06. If you're going to get a sports car... make sure it has the "sport", no?
Ummmm a regular vette is still more car than what 99% can handle.....big difference between vette vs Z06 and G37 vs G25.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:19 AM
kanji0513

when I had G25 loaner, the first impression was, it feels more oversteer, maybe it's because of lighter engine, or it just I drive careless in a loaner lol
Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by firstinfiniti
Ummmm a regular vette is still more car than what 99% can handle.....big difference between vette vs Z06 and G37 vs G25.
Yes, but I was making a point, not doing a side by side comparison.

My analogy aside, the POINT was valid.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
If the people who opts to go for G25 doesn't mind the extra expense for a Navi, they would as well just buy a G37. The key here is low cost alternative, dude. Why offer something no one would buy?

Cheap car with a Navi is a bland statement manufacturers trying to make - I am upscale, even knew no one would buy it, with hope to make themselves look better than competitors. Lipstick on a pig, isn't it?
So are you saying that everyone that chooses the G25 instead of the G37, should not have the option of the nav Packaged features...that they should/would all be willing to alter their choice of powertrain just to get nav?
Some may just want a G with less power and still have all of the features available to the one with a bigger engine.
The G25 (if you could add nav) could cost much less than a G37 with nav.

Buyers should have the choice with regards to such a common feature.

I suppose we will have to accept that we disagree on what a luxury brand car should offer. No big deal.
I, for one, will continue to enjoy using the 5 features/options that came with the integrated OEM nav Package which I did not have in my 07 G
Old 06-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Dburg35

Originally Posted by Bo2point0
When you buy a G25 it comes with a side of weak sauce.
LAMO.. That was pretty funny I'll give you that much.

Quick Reply: Test drove a G25 today, a little thoughts