G37 Sedan

11' G37 Whinny Exhaust note - 09' better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 AM
RX Law

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
11' G37 Whinny Exhaust note - 09' better?

I recently had my new 11' G37S MT in for service. I was given a 09' G37X auto to drive while servicing. The sevice took nearly two weeks! (there was some very minor cosmetic damage on the rear lip from factory).

In the course of driving the G37x I noticed a few things. First, it does not handle as well as the G37s -found that out on my first hard corner. The Auto was nice for a bit, but I dont know how you guys deal with that. It is rough overall, and unresponsive on the full power upshifts.

However, one thing i enjoyed was the exhaust note/cabin sound. The car just sounds better. It is a bit lounder under power, and the tune increased magically with the rpms. Quite when cruising, and gunts under power. Perfect.

My 11 G37 is mute. Certianly, you know you are on the gas but it doesnt sound like 330hp is launching the beast to 60 in a mere 5 seconds. In fact, the car is so quiet with windows up that it is hard to tell your going fast at all without glancing to the spedo. My passengers are skeptical when I announce -"70mph" and they peer and the instrument cluster.

Most annoying is pulling through 6K on the car - it starts hissing. I had a tsx prior and vtech kicked in at 6k. Sure wasnt going fast but that high cam at 6k was music to the ears. It was inspiring, and made getting on the gas fun. Made a V4 205hp feel like all the power in the world. On the other hand, my G37 downplays its power, ruining the experience.

More bothersome is a moderate power 4k shift. Push the clutch in at 4K and as the RPM drops from 4-3K it sounds like a vacum cleaner. What the hell? The sound totally detracts from the sedan, which is otherwise a blast to drive.

Do others feel the same or is this unique to my G? Is an aftermarket intake the solution? Does anyone have a sound clip of one?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that my 12 sedan is much quieter than my 09 Convertible (top up of course). I'm not sure if the muted the sedan, but it was something I noticed immediately.

6MT is way better than auto..smoother and more fun.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I agree on the newer sedans (I have a 2012 g37s) the exhaust note leaves something to be desired. Every time I hear an older G or a 350/370z startup or drive by I think it sounds great. Mine has a slight note to it, but nothing like the stock setups of the past.

I'm not sure if maybe they quieted it down a bit on the newer ones from all the magazines bashing the G for high levels of engine noise for a "entry luxury sedan".

I had a Toyota Tundra 5.7L, and a corsa sport catback with trd intake. It sounded awesome when you revved it up and was quiet cruising, but anytime you'd go up a grade it'd be annoying.

I really don't want to go that route again as I'd prefer the car to sound and remain stock as far as the exhaust goes. Does anyone know if there's a way to get the newer sedans to sound more like the older ones? Maybe a R2C intake? pick up an 09 exhaust from someone upgrading and stick it on haha?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my '10 does have a nice audible engine note inside the cabin. at full throttle it sounds like a full blown sports car. i know the exhaust note from outside the car does not sound as aggressive as the coupe and i miss that. either way the audible engine sound in the cabin might not be everybody's cup of tea when shopping for a luxury vehicle, so maybe they did change this on later models? too bad because those who prefer the other tea could just opt for the g25 or a lexus.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
I agree on the newer sedans (I have a 2012 g37s) the exhaust note leaves something to be desired. Every time I hear an older G or a 350/370z startup or drive by I think it sounds great. Mine has a slight note to it, but nothing like the stock setups of the past.

My 2011 Z was so raspy that with in the first week of owning it I had ordered an exhaust...........................
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something to remember here.

Intake is responsible for most of the engine noise you hear driving, and outside the car. The exhaust is what people here driving by.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
MT Gs sound different than auto Gs. My dad has an auto 08 and I have an MT 08.

They sound very different from the inside. Like completely different cars. I blame the tranny.

Also, the exhausts seemed to have changed through the years. I've gone through 3 different stock exhausts, and my dad has gone through 2. Nissan has apparently changed suppliers 3 times and they all sound a bit different.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 AM
RX Law

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Auto v. Manual

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
MT Gs sound different than auto Gs. My dad has an auto 08 and I have an MT 08.

They sound very different from the inside. Like completely different cars. I blame the tranny.
Just in for service last week. This time they gave me a brand new 11' G37X (2k miles). It sounded GREAT! So I can confirm that it is NOT the year of your G37. It is a Manual v. Auto issue. The Auto just sounds better. What the hell... Shouldnt the 6MT Sport have a richer exhaust note?

The only variable is the tranny.. I am going to look into this further.