G37 Sedan

Considering buying. How satisfied are you with your G37X purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
mfer2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering buying. How satisfied are you with your G37X purchase?

Hello,

I'm not necessarily new to the forum but this is my first post. I've been reading these threads for about 8 months now and I have been strongly considering pulling the trigger on a certified pre-owned 2009 g37x 7AT sedan. I don't make financial decisions like these lightly by any means. I see something like 60 pages worth of complaints about the tranny and I'm at the point now where I really need to decide whether I want to pay almost $30k for a car that could constantly frustrate me with these lag issues. I initially was looking at the BMW 335i but decided this would be much more dependable, affordable, and in my opinion has a much nicer interior with more HP (I love the style as well but not necessarily more than I like the BMW's). This car seems to be the perfect medium in every way minus these well-known frustrations with the transmission. This would be my primary vehicle that I would drive in some rush hour traffic for about 30-45 minutes (10 miles) to work each way plus leisure driving on the weekends. I would really appreciate your personal opinions as to whether I should go with the g37x and why. Please try to be impartial and not just a blind supporter of the car because you made your commitment and don't want to admit regrets.
(I apologize if I didn't post this in the appropriate area but it seems to cover a variety of topics).
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM
zoner

I waffled back and forth over the G and 335i for quite some time. For me the BMW sedan was too ordinary looking, particularly the rear. I felt that you could put a Honda badge on the rear and few would know the difference. So I had narrowed it down between the 335i coupe (which I think is one of the classic designs that will stay fresh for 10 years) and G37xS. After pounding the dealers as far as I could, it turned out to be about $7K difference. I decided that was not worth the difference in quality. I have been very happy with the G and feel there is very little difference in the driving experience. You did not say how long you intend on keeping the car as that too was a factor in my deciding to go with the G as I will keep it for at least 5-6 years. Maybe longer if my kids get it.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i bought it since it was at the limit of what i was willing to pay. i found it had exactly the performance, luxery, reliability i was looking for so i didnt even bother shopping any further. i have no complaints and love the car.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I had similar thoughts initially. All the bad rep the 7AT got swayed me towards going with a manual. Of course, missing driving a manual had something to do with it too.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:40 PM
diverdan

Two months and 2K miles in my 2012 G37xS and I don't have any complaints. I haven't experienced the lag that is described here and am generally happy with the 7AT: It occasionally downshifts farther than I want (I want just a little more acceleration and the car drops two gears to 6500 rpms), but I've had this happen with every AT I've ever driven.

The drivability has been very good and I am constantly delighted with the mid-range torque the car has.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM
stevenlin

I have owned a 2010 G37x for more than one year and I intend to keep it for at least 10 years. It’s my commute car to work, 30 km each way. I must say overall I’m pleased with this car. Considering that people have to pay close to 80,000 USD for a G37, G37x is not even an option, from where I came from, I am very grateful that I didn’t have to pay that much for my G in Canada.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll have to test drive the car and decide for yourself. Make sure you take an extended test drive before you sign the dotted lines though. For me, the AT is not the best in the business but I can live with it. Would I buy it again? Probably not if Infiniti doesn't fix it or keeps saying it's by design.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM
mfer2k

Sorry, I intend on keeping the car for at least 5-6 years. It is also around the limit of what I'm willing to pay.

I'm honestly at the point where I either go for it and hope I really do enjoy it for the next 100,000+ miles and get to appreciate having a driver's car or just say forget it and get a 2010 Fusion or some other generic crap that gets me to where I want to go with few hassles and saves me $10 grand and a bunch of headaches. Honest recommendations?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 AM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I came very close to buying a 335i before buying my 2009 G37xS. The primary advantages of the 335 for me would have been the six-speed manual combined with AWD. As it turns out I am very happy with the G - probably the best car I have ever owned. The 7AT behavies it self well in normal driving, and the car is scat-fast with as long as you know how to shift it manually (it lacks a first gear kick down and has a couple of other "dead" spots as well where it helps to grab the paddles). I have had absolutely no problems or issues in 2.5 years. Even my wife, who finds the car too agressive, has to admit that it's been a great car so far.

Greg

Greg
Old 01-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Beer Magazine

I had a 335, and there were similar complaints about the tranny...it's how it is. The cars are too computerized and think too much.

MT is the way to go...always. I had a G37 auto and the tranny was fine. It always wants to go for MPG so it's in the wrong gear.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM
mikelebron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from a 328xi Coupe to a G37x Sedan (had a baby) and also wanted more power... The 335 was about 4- 5 grand more.... I am starting to regret my decision.

Here are my points:

1. BMW drives likes its on rails. The G37 is VERY VERY good; dont get me wrong and I do believe that with upgraded sway bars it may be close or equal. But out off the show room floor the BMW hands down blows it way in stability, cornering, etc. etc. Now I have driven the G37 coupe with the Sport package (upgraded suspension) and still the BMW beats it out.

2. BMW destroys the G37x when it comes to all wheel drive. NO comparison - different league when it comes to getting grip / sliding / etc. in wet or snowy weather.

3. BMW stock audio system destroys the G37x Bose system - though honestly I have adapted to the Bose and its not bad.. so we are talking about very good (G37) to Excellent (BMW). I am an audiophile at heart.. So I am sensitive with audio systems.

4. Tranny - BMW absolutely destroys the G37x in auto and manual shifting (auto trans). I also at first didnt like the BMW tranny - but that was in auto mode. It shifts like a grandma -- BUT when you put it in sport mode OR shift manually its brings the car alive. After learning that little tid bit with the BMW i was very very happy with the tranny. I can honestly say the BMW has by far the best sport mode I have ever driven - it drives like its a manual but in auto (quick shifts, perfect rpm downshifts and upshifts - no complaints) Now on the G37 it is by far one of the worst trannys I have ever driven with. Auto drives like a grandma with hesitation to top it off... Now sport mode is all over the place sloppy sloppy sloppy... Upshifts when it shouldnt, too agressivly downshifts, slams into gear some times, lags to down shift almost causing accidents, etc. etc. etc. etc.... There is enough evidence to support my claims on this forum...

5. G37x its cheaper and much better value - Performance is amazing! I love the power BUT the 335 will still take you - not by much but it will. Its a draw in this area.

6. G37x interior is nicer in my opinion.. I like the dash, seats, etc. much better over the BMW.

7. G37 is much nosier... though I like the growl of the motor... My wife hates it.. I went from not knowing I was moving to now it sounds like a muscle car when accelerating.. I like it but some may not.

8. G37 look I think is much sportier - but if you get the M package (not the M series car) the BMW beats it out I think.. its a toss up though - Definitely get the Aero package - it hands down makes the G look hot!

9. Support is the same BUT BMW does have free maintenance - this could be a factor depending on what you pay for the car - do your homework on the pricing side and factor in oil change, tire rotation, breaks and wiper replacement (once a year) into your calculations.

10. Generally quality is the same - though I never had a mechanical issue with the BMW the tranny on my G I think is starting to slip or exhibit some issues - unfortunately another forum member just posted (see above) the same exact issue which most likely is a design defect not specifically something wrong with my tranny. I will see (thank god its leased).

Soooo.... net net... now that I have driven both cars and owned both (excluding the bigger engine int he 335) I probably would have gone for the 335 now in hindsight if money is NOT a factor. If it is.. then G is a very good option - just make sure you get the extended warrantee.. I just dont trust this tranny!

Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:45 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^WOW! Talk about a love/hate relationship.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Before picking up my G, I was looking into the 335i and a Mustang GT 5.0. I found that the G accomplishes what I was wanted to combine in both cars, that being style and power. Don't get me wrong, the 335i has plenty of power for a DD, but I wasn't a fan of the limited cabin space. I also liked the fact that the G provided "on par" features and performance at at competitive price.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelebron
I went from a 328xi Coupe to a G37x Sedan (had a baby) and also wanted more power... The 335 was about 4- 5 grand more.... I am starting to regret my decision.

Here are my points:

1. BMW drives likes its on rails. The G37 is VERY VERY good; dont get me wrong and I do believe that with upgraded sway bars it may be close or equal. But out off the show room floor the BMW hands down blows it way in stability, cornering, etc. etc. Now I have driven the G37 coupe with the Sport package (upgraded suspension) and still the BMW beats it out.

2. BMW destroys the G37x when it comes to all wheel drive. NO comparison - different league when it comes to getting grip / sliding / etc. in wet or snowy weather.

3. BMW stock audio system destroys the G37x Bose system - though honestly I have adapted to the Bose and its not bad.. so we are talking about very good (G37) to Excellent (BMW). I am an audiophile at heart.. So I am sensitive with audio systems.

4. Tranny - BMW absolutely destroys the G37x in auto and manual shifting (auto trans). I also at first didnt like the BMW tranny - but that was in auto mode. It shifts like a grandma -- BUT when you put it in sport mode OR shift manually its brings the car alive. After learning that little tid bit with the BMW i was very very happy with the tranny. I can honestly say the BMW has by far the best sport mode I have ever driven - it drives like its a manual but in auto (quick shifts, perfect rpm downshifts and upshifts - no complaints) Now on the G37 it is by far one of the worst trannys I have ever driven with. Auto drives like a grandma with hesitation to top it off... Now sport mode is all over the place sloppy sloppy sloppy... Upshifts when it shouldnt, too agressivly downshifts, slams into gear some times, lags to down shift almost causing accidents, etc. etc. etc. etc.... There is enough evidence to support my claims on this forum...

5. G37x its cheaper and much better value - Performance is amazing! I love the power BUT the 335 will still take you - not by much but it will. Its a draw in this area.

6. G37x interior is nicer in my opinion.. I like the dash, seats, etc. much better over the BMW.

7. G37 is much nosier... though I like the growl of the motor... My wife hates it.. I went from not knowing I was moving to now it sounds like a muscle car when accelerating.. I like it but some may not.

8. G37 look I think is much sportier - but if you get the M package (not the M series car) the BMW beats it out I think.. its a toss up though - Definitely get the Aero package - it hands down makes the G look hot!

9. Support is the same BUT BMW does have free maintenance - this could be a factor depending on what you pay for the car - do your homework on the pricing side and factor in oil change, tire rotation, breaks and wiper replacement (once a year) into your calculations.

10. Generally quality is the same - though I never had a mechanical issue with the BMW the tranny on my G I think is starting to slip or exhibit some issues - unfortunately another forum member just posted (see above) the same exact issue which most likely is a design defect not specifically something wrong with my tranny. I will see (thank god its leased).

Soooo.... net net... now that I have driven both cars and owned both (excluding the bigger engine int he 335) I probably would have gone for the 335 now in hindsight if money is NOT a factor. If it is.. then G is a very good option - just make sure you get the extended warrantee.. I just dont trust this tranny!

Good Luck!
Having driven every BMW model extensively, except M5, m6 and alpina, is it a surprise BMW beats out the segment, (G, CTS, TL, etc) for road manners and handling? The tranny in the 335 beats out the G, although Im not sure the sound system in the BMW beats out the G.

The G similiarly equipped is $7000 cheaper and bigger. The looks of the 2011 and 2012 Gs are spot on. People will say don't get a BMW without an extended warranty, they just don't trust those Germans.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:15 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 to everything mikelebron.

Quick Reply: Considering buying. How satisfied are you with your G37X purchase?